Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bibs or shorts?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bibs or shorts?

Old 06-11-20, 10:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I have. Since he's mostly only worn bibs, I'm not sure if he has the experiences to fully satisfy me about such.

I could try a pair of his, but then I have to get over the thought of how they, like bike shorts are used without undergarment. I suppose I could wash them fifty times before using.
Why don't you buy a pair of his favorite bibs for yourself and try them out? If you don't like them, give them to him. I'm sure he'll get over the "ick" factor.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-11-20, 11:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why don't you buy a pair of his favorite bibs for yourself and try them out? If you don't like them, give them to him. I'm sure he'll get over the "ick" factor.
Well now you are just being too sensible. Stop that. <grin>

I suppose if I do find they retain heat too much, I can just use them in the cooler riding days. But you are right, nothing beats experiencing it for oneself. Just like I preach test rides to those asking what bikes fit them.
Old 06-11-20, 01:00 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I've never tried bibs yet. My son pretty much only uses bibs. The thing that holds me back the most is the thought of having that little extra material coming up the waist and many times the straps seem wide and their material thick. So I'm concerned with them retaining more heat in my body. I frequently ride in 95°F temps and more. And when for a week or so the temps get over 100°F I am still riding. So I want to get rid of any heat I produce quickly.
My average ride starts at 90F by 6:30am (yay tropics) and only goes up from there. When i am in tri-dork training mode, i wear tri shorts and a sleeveless top - other times, when my dignity is a little more relevant, i wear bibs and a jersey. I cant say that i have felt cooler in shorts vs bibs.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-11-20, 01:22 PM
rafazx10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Shorts for me
Old 06-11-20, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Anyone else now getting ads for bibs? I’m getting ads for Rapha bibs.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-11-20, 03:28 PM
chizlr40

Bikes: cannondale,trex,schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
So I have never even tried on a bib. I was looking to buy a couple new pairs of shorts and was suggested to try bibs. Do you guys love them? Hate them? Would love to hear some considerations before I purchase.
once you try bibs you'll never go back, buy a good pair spend, few bucks and you'll be happy
Old 06-11-20, 06:03 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I've never tried bibs yet. My son pretty much only uses bibs. The thing that holds me back the most is the thought of having that little extra material coming up the waist and many times the straps seem wide and their material thick. So I'm concerned with them retaining more heat in my body. I frequently ride in 95°F temps and more. And when for a week or so the temps get over 100°F I am still riding. So I want to get rid of any heat I produce quickly.

So if any of you bib users can add some comments about that, I'd be interested, hopefully the OP too.
I used to think the same thing about bibs possibly being too hot. Honestly, the strap material wicks far better than bare skin, so they allow for better sweat transfer and evaporation compared to regular shorts with a good jersey alone, and the straps are completely unnoticeable after 2 minutes (or less) on every pair/brand of bibs I own.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 06-11-20, 07:06 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I would never ride without wearing bibs. They are the best! But if you get chaffed nipples easily......then they may not be for you. But honestly, never seen many people that even have sensitivity there say anything bad about bibs.

So I have never even tried on a bib. I was looking to buy a couple new pairs of shorts and was suggested to try bibs. Do you guys love them? Hate them? Would love to hear some considerations before I purchase.
Old 06-12-20, 05:46 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I only ride bibs. They are more comfortable and stay in place.
Old 06-12-20, 06:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
But if you get chaffed nipples easily......then they may not be for you. .
Workaround
Old 06-12-20, 07:57 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
this is still a question?

bibs.

or jeans.
Likes For superdex:
Old 06-13-20, 07:22 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Bibs pros

More confortable
Don’t have the pressure of the elastic waist band
tend to prevent from rolling down

Short pros

Less fabric behind you back on hot days
harder to pee (mainly for women). My friend wears he bib over her jersey this way she can go pee on rides
cheaper
look less ****** when you remove your jersey if front of noncyclists
Old 06-13-20, 11:16 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I have a bit of a gut so they hold me in.
This is the biggest benefit of bibs over shorts.

Muffin top owner here.

Lycra shorts made it worse by squeezing it up and out, bibs completely keep everything tucked in all around, so much better and no visible muffin top.

Bibs for life.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 06-13-20, 12:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Bibs! I've gone completely to bibs. I find them much more comfortable. They just seem to stay put better, and they eliminate any issues from a jersey that slides up a bit.

The only exception is circumstances in which I feel the need to wear cycling shorts under street clothes, such as off-site meetings that require a bit of a bike commute without a place to change.

Originally Posted by dr_max

harder to pee (mainly for women). My friend wears he bib over her jersey this way she can go pee on rides
Yes - that can be an issue! There are several brands that have offered solutions to this problem - Endura makes a nice bib with a seat that zips off, and a few brands make halterneck bibs that slide over the head without removing the jersey. This of course will not help if you've got to wear team kit, and there are other issues with both the dropseat and halterneck design.
Old 06-15-20, 11:16 AM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Like a lot of cyclists I started with shorts but moved to bibs as I got more "serious". Simply put, bibs are more comfortable and look better. The only downside is that it's a trial and error process to find out what bibs work for you.
Old 06-15-20, 11:27 AM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Definitely bibs, and don't scrimp on quality - the good ones last a long time and are more comfortable, although you may have to try a couple of brands to find the best ones for you. You can get good prices at the end of summer.
Old 06-15-20, 11:39 AM
daveton

Bikes: Trek checkpoint ALR 5. Trek Domane SL 6 Etap

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Bibs for all the reasons mentioned. Comfortable and stay in place.
Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I would never ride without wearing bibs. They are the best! But if you get chaffed nipples easily......then they may not be for you. But honestly, never seen many people that even have sensitivity there say anything bad about bibs.
Chafed nipples has been an issue for me forever. I love that with suspenders, I simply clip in about 2" from center in front. Before I started doing that, I ran the straps through a rubber band. On my pair of bib tights, I sewed a short strap and velcro to pull the suspenders close. (My other tights that I clip suspenders on to are so much easier to deal with!)

Those tights are very high quality and super comfortable, I'll were 'em till they die. But if they had come as non-bibs, they would have been just as good and just as comfortable (using suspenders). My one pair of bibs has not been worn since the suspenders stretched too much and they no longer do the job (of keeping important stuff where it belongs). I've gotten twice the mileage with the identical shorts.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-15-20, 01:28 PM
goaheadjump

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bibs only. started with shorts, then a mix of bibs and shorts, now would never were shorts unless I had no clean bibs. they stay put, no gap if shirt rides up, can store stuff in back material if need to stash while on ride.
Old 06-15-20, 01:36 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Suspenders are my favourite but it never occurred to wear them with bike shorts. The problem is the clips wear out and then slide off. Never tried them on bike shorts. I may sew some pads on. Excellent idea

I like suspenders when at work as a pilot but I did hear it from the guys. ie. gramps etc... Sitting in a chair the clips dig in making it uncomfortable on a long flight.
Old 06-15-20, 01:39 PM
dcmovin

Bikes: Serotta Fierte, Co-op DRT2.1 27.5+ Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bibs are best for me!

I have both, but generally wear bibs 99% of the time (1% of the time, I don’t have any clean bibs).
Old 06-15-20, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
The side conversation about suspenders has been interesting.

option a- buy shorts and buy suspenders for effectively the price of bibs. At that point, fashion up some hack that keeps the clips from digging into you and/or slipping off the shorts while also ensuring the clips don't tear into the shorts material.

option b- buy bibs and go ride.
Old 06-15-20, 04:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The Fremont solstice festival is coming up, you're not supposed to ride in bibs or shorts. Unless they're painted on.
Old 06-15-20, 04:23 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ride in hot weather all the time here in Virginia. Have always worn bibs, and wouldn't wear anything else.
Old 06-15-20, 05:32 PM
KColeman32

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only wear bibs. Once I tried them (probably b/c "real" riders wear them), I never went back. Occasionally I get GERD while riding and I think my tighter fitting bib might contribute to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.