Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1 flat turned away help, another welcomed the help

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-27-20, 08:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts

Fun ride with a twist.
was out on a ride & noticed a person walking a bicycle with a flat tire. Offering my assistance to plug a tire, patch a hole, or replace a tube, the person was adamant to keep on walking the bicycle as it was. Shortly up the ways a distressed vehicle with a flat was on the side of the road. Asking them if they would like assistance turned up to be fruitful! They could break the lugs, so that's where I came in to play. Once the lugs were free, they jacked the vehicle up & swapped out the wheel for the spare. I torqued the lugs to a german torque spec & as they were putting things away, here comes that cyclist with that flat. The bicyclist slowed down & turned down a route that was longer in distance than if they just maintained course. I must have unknowingly gave them the walk of shame look? lol Oh well, at least some folks are still willing to accept help when others may put pride first.
Old 06-27-20, 09:01 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Fun ride with a twist.
was out on a ride & noticed a person walking a bicycle with a flat tire. Offering my assistance to plug a tire, patch a hole, or replace a tube, the person was adamant to keep on walking the bicycle as it was. Shortly up the ways a distressed vehicle with a flat was on the side of the road. Asking them if they would like assistance turned up to be fruitful! They could break the lugs, so that's where I came in to play. Once the lugs were free, they jacked the vehicle up & swapped out the wheel for the spare. I torqued the lugs to a german torque spec & as they were putting things away, here comes that cyclist with that flat. The bicyclist slowed down & turned down a route that was longer in distance than if they just maintained course. I must have unknowingly gave them the walk of shame look? lol Oh well, at least some folks are still willing to accept help when others may put pride first.
Probably more to do with covid, to be honest. Some folks are extremely wary of close contact with others amidst the pandemic.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-27-20, 09:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It could also be fear of the virus.

Good that you put it aside to help (and to offer to help), but it does entail risk.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-27-20, 09:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
with the type of work that I do, it requires frequent testing. So much that usually within three days I'll have new results. Living in fear would suck...
Old 06-27-20, 09:33 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Maybe not fear but being careful in how they live.
Old 06-27-20, 10:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
with the type of work that I do, it requires frequent testing. So much that usually within three days I'll have new results. Living in fear would suck...
Which suggest you could unintentionally infect other people.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-28-20, 04:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I get mixed reactions to offers of assistance when I encounter folks with bicycle problems. Depends on whether they self-identify as "cyclist" or "this is my transportation."

Cyclists are usually prepared so unless they blew their only CO2 cartridge and didn't have a pump, they rarely need help. I think maybe once in 5 years I've encountered one roadie who needed help for that very reason -- his one CO2 cartridge misfired and he didn't have a pump. I always carry a pump, CO2, patches and spare tube.

And I've helped a few casual cyclists on group rides. There's almost always at least one flat during a group ride, and many casual cyclists may have the pump, tube and patch kit, but have never used any of it.

On my end of town most folks on bikes are just riding them for transportation. The bikes are usually beaters with cracked tires, etc. They'll usually accept help but I don't expect thanks. After years of being around folks who are homeless and on the fringes of society, I realized there's a reason why they're homeless and marginalized. Many are lacking basic social skills. I've helped fix a couple of flats and the guys just rode off without a word of thanks. And they spent the entire time on their phones trying to find a place to sleep that night, while I was fixing their mechanical problems.

But I wasn't really expecting any thanks. For folks suffering from schizophrenia or other disorders, life is stressful enough without worrying about whether a stranger's offer of assistance is just another ploy at manipulation and exploitation. A lot of these folks have been badly abused and exploited their entire lives and are naturally suspicious of offers of help. Saying "thanks" acknowledges a debt, and in their world it's not good to owe anybody anything. So I do what I can and don't worry about a few words of thanks.

My three rescue cats have never thanked me either, unless an occasional cuddle means "thanks" instead of "I need a warm place to nap, human, so don't move."
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-28-20, 05:26 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with the "virus excuse".
A person could accept assistance and could just stand a good distance away while the repair is made.
On a recent short tour on the GAP I converted a guys bike to a single speed after he had a RD mishap. He kept hi distance and I was able to get him on his way.
Sometimes common sense seems to be lacking.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 06-28-20, 06:38 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Whether help is accepted or not, whatever their reason, the important thing is that you offered.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-28-20, 07:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I have had people refuse help over the years. Who knows their reasons.

But having the first cycllist come upon you helping the other was a little weird.
Old 06-28-20, 08:02 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Whether help is accepted or not, whatever their reason, the important thing is that you offered.
I completely agree! If for nothing else, your own peace of mind 🙂. While out riding the trails or back roads in my area, if I come across someone that appears to be in distress i.e. mechanical problem, injury or bewilderment, I will always ask if they need help or assistance. Many times the answer is "no" (and their reason doesn't matter) but I can move on with a clear conscience and not that "could have, would have, should have" feeling that would nag at me for the rest of my ride.
I'm distressed by the comment in one of the other replies about the folks on the fringes of society and their lack of basic social skills being at the root of their issue of marginalization. I clearly don't disagree. My distress comes from the fact that little seems to be done to correct the issue. I think that basic kindness and respect, like offering help to someone that appears in need, will go a long way toward making things better all around. The cycling community, in general, is likely of this mindset but setting the example will hopefully allow others to "get the drift" and follow suit 👍.
Old 06-28-20, 08:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with the "virus excuse".
A person could accept assistance and could just stand a good distance away while the repair is made.
On a recent short tour on the GAP I converted a guys bike to a single speed after he had a RD mishap. He kept hi distance and I was able to get him on his way.
Sometimes common sense seems to be lacking.
Does somebody NEED an excuse not to accept help?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-28-20, 08:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t think it is irrational to not want a stranger handing your bike during the pandemic. They don’t know the first thing about you. They don’t know how clean you are, and they may not have anything on hand to wipe of the bike when you are done.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-28-20, 08:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I stopped to offer help one time and it turned out the motorist was getting water at the spring I can never find. So it was a two-fer, got to feel good about myself and also got water.

I offered to help a walking cyclist once, but she had already made the call of shame.
Old 06-28-20, 03:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If I see a bicyclist who appears to need help, I'll stop and offer it. Once I rode past a guy at the side of a road who had patched a tube and put it back inside his tire. I saw him in my rear view mirror trying to pump up the tire with his Co2 inflator. I did a U-turn and rode back to see if he needed help. He couldn't get his cartridge onto the inflator. It was a smooth neck cartridge and he need a threaded one. I gave him one of mine. It save him a long walk.

A few years ago on a very hot humid day my Silca frame fit pump exploded whilst I was topping up a tire on the side of the road. I started walking the ten miles home. I saw a bicyclist turn off a side road and asked if I could borrow his pump. He said no and rode on by. Fortunately I was riding tubular tires and was able to very carefully ride the smooth sections of the road. A loan of his pump or him pumping my tire up would have been appreciated immensely.

I've lost count of the number of bicyclists I've given a spare tube to or whom I adjusted/reconnected a V-brake caliper for.

Cheers
Old 06-28-20, 05:36 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Risk or not I will always try to help someone.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 06-28-20, 05:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t think it is irrational to not want a stranger handing your bike during the pandemic. They don’t know the first thing about you. They don’t know how clean you are, and they may not have anything on hand to wipe of the bike when you are done.
Yep. Recently my helmet came off the cable as I was unlocking my bike. A thoughtful teenager went to pick it up for me. I told him I could get it. He then acknowledged that I probably didn’t want him touching it. It was a pleasant exchange. He went with his gut reaction to be helpful then remembered what’s going on. Good kid. His mom then walked up and they went into the market together.
Old 06-28-20, 06:53 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Risk or not I will always try to help someone.
same here
Old 06-28-20, 07:08 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
this is pandemic time, hell people are paranoid to even push the cross-walk button, most using their elbow.
So don't be surprised if people refuse help. Maybe the guy has a family member(s) who have underlying conditions and on he's just thinking of not infecting them