Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best Bottom Bracket for Modern Crank Upgrade

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-28-20, 12:02 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts

Hello everyone, not exactly C&V except for the frame. I tired the Clydesdale forum first, but got no response. I am upgrading my mountain bike components (Bridgestone BM-3) and looking at Shimano's 3x9 Alivio. However, they make two models of 3x9 cranks. One uses a square taper bottom bracket, the other uses outboard or through bottom brackets, not sure the exact terminology. I am pretty heavy rider, 250+, so is on of these technologies better for a heavy rider? My gut says the square taper is better, but that is without any technical knowledge of the two. So which is better for a heavy rider? If my current bottom bracket is the right length for the 9 speed square taper, I might just go that route, but if I have change it, this would be helpful. Note, I had to upgrade the rims a while back, so the rear hub can do 7-10 speed, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance! Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-28-20, 12:35 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
i'm no MTB expert, but in general:

1. modern BB = larger spindle + thinner wall = requiring more material/mess in the crank arms i.e) carbon crankset friendly. so your question can also depend on what crankset you have or plan to have.
2. not sure about its relevancy to the rider's weight, but square taper has another advantage of seviceability + relatively more flexibility on chainline adjustment (also due to slightly better interchangeability withing the parts)
3. MB-3 came with Deore which is ok-to-mediocre, ppl seem to keen on to upgrade to XLS or XT.
4. if square taper, i'd go with slightly more modern like with sealed bearings. heard White Industries (come with for 68mm or 73mm shell) make indestructible ones. pricey, but worthy.

good luck and pls post some pics when done. vintage Bridgestones are beauts.
Old 06-28-20, 12:42 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Not sure which kind of BB would be considered stronger, but both will be strong enough. Given the choice, I'd go with external - easier to work on and better parts availability (I think).
Old 06-28-20, 03:21 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Given these two options, I'd go with the Hollowpoint outboard bottom bracket all day long. It will be stiffer and much easier to service.
Old 06-28-20, 05:44 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
The best BB is first of all, the one that fits. Second of all, it's one that is available, including its tools, those that you might not have. Third, it's one that is affordable. I think square versus external is not a significant point. Within types there is some hype, maybe a lot of hype, over which brand and level is "most durable" but for every BB there is somebody or several somebodies whom have broken it or had some problem with it resulting in dissatisfaction, regardless of price. Some premium performance aspects, such as smoothness, are just not easy to appreciate on the road, beyond a basic decent level of refinement.
Old 06-28-20, 06:06 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I would go with a square taper and sealed cartridge only because that's what I have on all my current bikes (after upgrading some old loose bearing BBs) and I have all the necessary tools for doing my own work on them. Except that after I upgrade I rarely have to work on them. But do your own research and form your own opinion before you make the leap and you'll probably be happy either way you go.
Old 06-28-20, 06:35 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Outboard BB
Old 06-28-20, 06:54 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
It looks like you have bikes with loose ball square staper cranks and probably know how to service them. I'd stick with what you know. Whichever you choose, Bottom brackets should not be consumables.
Old 06-28-20, 07:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by crandress
Hello everyone, not exactly C&V except for the frame. I tired the Clydesdale forum first, but got no response. I am upgrading my mountain bike components (Bridgestone BM-3) and looking at Shimano's 3x9 Alivio. However, they make two models of 3x9 cranks. One uses a square taper bottom bracket, the other uses outboard or through bottom brackets, not sure the exact terminology. I am pretty heavy rider, 250+, so is on of these technologies better for a heavy rider? My gut says the square taper is better, but that is without any technical knowledge of the two. So which is better for a heavy rider? If my current bottom bracket is the right length for the 9 speed square taper, I might just go that route, but if I have change it, this would be helpful. Note, I had to upgrade the rims a while back, so the rear hub can do 7-10 speed, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance! Chris
Neither is 'better'. They are just different ways to skin a cat.
I tore down a road bike of mine that has a Tange square taper cartridge bottom bracket from a few years ago and was mesmerized by how smooth it turned and how little fricton there is when spinning the crank arms.
But that means nothing in terms of what is best because its not like external bottom bracket cups that don't spin as long are worse.

If updating a ceank to something modern, I would go for an outboard bottom bracket for sure. The overall setup is lighter and stiffer than any square taper setup I've used. Its also dead easy to set up and replace(years later when its needed).

I dont have interest in pulling bottom brackets and fudging with the tension for loose ball bottom brackets. I've done dozens of em, they can work great, but it just isn't an interest.

The tool to remove a Shimano external bottom bracket cup is 10x more secure and easier to use than the tool for a cartridge bottom bracket.
Old 06-29-20, 09:14 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...ket-standards/

Just a little help with your research.
Old 06-29-20, 04:37 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Thanks for all your responses. Sounds like I am good either way. I am comfortable with adjusting and older square taper or cartridge. I was just mostly concerned if these newer ones would support the weight and it sounds like it does.

Thanks - Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-29-20, 05:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
An outboard bottom bracket gives you fixed chainline, with very little you can do to change it. With recent MTB triple cranksets, that's usually 50mm. That's a bit further out than is ideal for a bike with even 130mm rear spacing. The square taper would give you the freedom to choose different spindle lengths to adjust the chainline. This isn't a major issue, but if you've got nothing else tipping the scales, this could be it.
Old 06-29-20, 06:39 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
An outboard bottom bracket gives you fixed chainline, with very little you can do to change it. With recent MTB triple cranksets, that's usually 50mm. That's a bit further out than is ideal for a bike with even 130mm rear spacing. The square taper would give you the freedom to choose different spindle lengths to adjust the chainline. This isn't a major issue, but if you've got nothing else tipping the scales, this could be it.
Fair point!

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 04-20-21, 09:47 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
As a side bar.

As long as you continue to look at Shimano outboard bearing cranks, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recomend FSAs cranks/bbs. That being said, if a 1x appeals to you. I'm pleasantly surprised by the cheap mtb cranks on amazon. There's a few "labels", but they're all the same. Don't forget to check their "Warehouse", return/used ones.