Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are E-Bikes Really worth The Price and headaches?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Are E-Bikes Really worth The Price and headaches?

Old 06-20-20, 02:46 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
E-bikes come with a toxic battery and a toxic mind set... will you be able to properly dispose of them both?
That seems hyperbolic and ideological. I guess it depends what you want out of cycling. For me cycling is first and foremost efficient transportation. Since running is better exercise than cycling, I'd much rather bike to a park or trailhead and go trail-running. Afterwards having an ebike would probably enable me to get home whereas a standard bike might be a stretch.

As for the toxic battery, they can be rebuilt and recycled. To be sure they aren't entirely green but they're pretty close. Even the production of standard bikes involves some waste and pollution.
Old 06-20-20, 04:00 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
.... I guess it depends what you want out of cycling. For me cycling is first and foremost efficient transportation. Since running is better exercise than cycling, I'd much rather bike to a park or trailhead and go trail-running. Afterwards having an ebike would probably enable me to get home whereas a standard bike might be a stretch.

As for the toxic battery, they can be rebuilt and recycled. To be sure they aren't entirely green but they're pretty close. Even the production of standard bikes involves some waste and pollution.
Fify, and now we can talk:

All of life involves a cost of some sort. How you process that cost, vis a vis your philosophy/take on life, is your impact on yourself and the world. Not a matter of agree/disagree... just a matter of is....
Old 06-21-20, 06:48 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
The true price could be to your mental and physical health!

E-bikes come with a toxic battery and a toxic mind set... will you be able to properly dispose of them both?
Originally Posted by AlanK
That seems hyperbolic and ideological.
No, he is dead on! The reality is that if you let your kids out of the confines of their house in anything less than a full-sized SUV then you don't love them! The SUV also needs to be made of STEEL, after all, steel is real!

Now if you don't have kids then you can probably get by with a Full-Sized PU truck. But it should have duallies.

It isn't like we should be closed-minded, after all, the MRAP and JLTV might prove themselves to be capable kid hauliers, but the jury is still out.

There is just no reason to risk your life driving a compact, like a Humvee, where there are significantly more appropriate vehicles available:
Old 06-22-20, 04:32 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The true price could be to your mental and physical health!
Batteries will be recycled, not disposed of. Especially true with electric cars becoming mainstream, even legally mandated. Too huge of a resource to waste. As the industry and demand grows, so will the resources.

Not sure what toxic mindset you are referring to. I'm using my ebike for store runs that used to involve a car. Will eventually commute with it. Lots of reasons the motor makes this a better choice than a pure human powered bike.

Not all bicycling is for sport. Sometimes they can be used to get you where you need to be.

But if you would rather talk about soccer mom cellulite...
Old 06-22-20, 04:38 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
No, he is dead on! The reality is that if you let your kids out of the confines of their house in anything less than a full-sized SUV then you don't love them!
By the way body on frame SUV's and light trucks have an abysmal safety record. Better off with a minivan, unibody is much safer. Hell, a minicooper has a better safety record than an F150.

Now that JLTV is too cool. I would love to drive one of those. They have all electric drive in one variant, that way they can divert the generator to weapon systems as needed.
Old 06-25-20, 07:26 AM
Catsharp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with many of the reasons listed here- e-bike gets me out on some days when I don't feel peppy enough to hop on the analog bike, although I do still ride that one (lifelong road rider here). Mine is a Copenhagen Wheel, right now paired with a Specialized hybrid bike. But mainly it is a range-extender for me. The longish rides (40-60 miles) are still doable on my flat bar road bike but I'm simply beat afterwards and the recovery phase seems longer than it used to be. Also, and just my opinion, although I enjoy good health, I'm trying to make my body last as long as possible since people are living so darn long now... never know how many more years I'm going to need it! The wear and tear of really long rides on an analog...
Oh, and the main reason for an e-bike: FUN! Remember fun?
Old 06-29-20, 11:49 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto
Almost everybody keeps their bikes in the garage .......I live in Nevada and the heat is an issue ......every night I bring in the battery into the house charge it there .....I do not let it over charge .....battery is stored in my house .....that I believe will extend the life of it...This holds true for areas that gets extremely cold as well ........lithium batteries do not like extreme cold or extreme heat
What temperatures are generally considered extreme?
Old 06-29-20, 01:30 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Temps for lithium batteries

100 degrees and above not good And
32 degrees and below not good either for storage
Likes For Tpsfoto:
Old 06-30-20, 05:54 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto
100 degrees and above not good And
32 degrees and below not good either for storage
Got it.
Now - kind of off topic - I have another battery, it's a solar fence shocker. Don't know what kind of battery is in it. Should I bring it in during the winter?
Old 07-06-20, 12:26 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
My wife and I have put several thousand miles on bikes and trikes with DIY Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drives. No particular problems. Batteries are widely available generic types for DIYers--a new 48 volt 14.5 amp hour battery with Samsung cells recently cost me $450.

It's my experience that an E bike is easier, not faster.
Old 07-08-20, 03:10 PM
Jean_TX

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you don't need one, you don't need one, period. That's why I chose the system I picked - because it comes off the bike and I can ride analog with less than 10 seconds prep. I can also have it on the bike but not even turned on and, since it only weighs a total of 4.5lb with zero drag, there's no penalty for just leaving it on. Then it's there if I decide to tackle a hilly route, or if the big Bay headwinds come up, or if I didn't sleep well the night before so I poop out. It also has 9 levels of assist, and I can get just as much exercise with level 1 as I do riding analog - by choosing a route with lots of ups and downs and doubling the length I normally ride - twice as quickly.
But, yeah, if you ride a normal route with no motor, you can't just add the motor and expect the same effect in terms of fitness. You have to ride longer and take on bigger grades. Now for some folks, that's a reason to get an e-bike. You WANT to go longer distances and over more difficult terrain than you can manage with your analog bike.
So - if you would like to double your distance, while not doubling the time, you might find one makes sense for you. And if you pick more challenging routes, you can definitely get that fitness experience. Just depends on what you want. If you do the same ride but with a motor, it will be quicker and that's all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A removable system sounds interesting. What system do you have?

Jean
Old 07-08-20, 03:16 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean_TX
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A removable system sounds interesting. What system do you have?

Jean
I have OneMotor. You can see my detailed review here: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eroller.28504/ Been a year and I still love it and use it almost daily.
Old 07-09-20, 04:51 AM
Jean_TX

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Jean