Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anti-squeak chain wax additive badly needed.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anti-squeak chain wax additive badly needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 06:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Paraffin oil evaporates very slowly and is used in an attempt to soften hot dip wax. Naphtha is not used for that purpose. It evaporates very fast, so it works only to dissolve paraffin or a paraffin/oil mixture so it becomes a liquid lube with a water like viscosity that easily penetrates the chain. It's intended to evaporate and does nothing to soften the wax. I always apply my liquid lube after a ride, so it has time for the solvent to evaporate, leaving only the paraffin or paraffin/oil on the chain.

If cleaning a chain between hot wax dips reduces chain life, something is being done incorrectly. If the chain is not dry and free of solvent when dipped, that could foul up the wax penetration, but removing dirt from a chain should never reduce chain life. I clean mine maybe every 500 miles and expect at least 3000 miles from each chain.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-10-20, 08:47 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
As a longtime motorcyclist with cans of that stuff in my garage, I would not, and do not use it on my bicycles. It works great on a motorcycle where the chain is being driven at high speed, and gets hotter, but on a bike, no. What it is great at on the bicycle, is drying to a nice sticky substance that allows dirt to be trapped on the chain. It is annoying to clean off. Use a bicycle lube, or plain oil if you want an oil based chain lube. For waxing, you may need to use some sort of oil based additive to your wax.
The motorcycle chain lube you are referring to may be different than the one I use (DuPont Chainsaver Wax-Based Chain Lubricant, with Teflon(R)). The DuPont product seems to work well. The chain is not sticky and seems to go a pretty good distance before showing any dirt pick up. I can tell the difference immediately after I apply the lube (you're supposed to apply it and let it dry for 30 minutes, but sometimes I get on the bike and ride right after). The DuPont product advertises itself as a dry wax, and especially touts its avoiding picking up abrasive dust.

There's also companion DuPont product chain cleaner. Works well. You don't get the chain as clean as removing it and cleaning with min spirits, but with the combo of cleaner first, Chainsaver Lube second, I get great results. The crud that does build up seems to be easily cleaned with the cleaner product (or with min spirits, btw).

Disclosure: I used to work for DuPont and one assignment was at the plant that makes Teflon(R) branded products, including PTFE. I don't anymore, and I surely would not use a DuPont product that didn't work. These products (the chainlube and chaincleaner) seem to work very well.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-10-20, 09:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
I am respectful all the way up to the point where someone else becomes disrespectful. i offered what i thought was a valid solution to the op’s problem. you don’t have to agree with it and you can certainly disagree. But it doesn’t give you the right to tell me to go find a new thread if you do disagree, that is rudeness.
The problem is that you wandered into a religious discussion and suggested there might be another god.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-10-20, 09:27 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
The motorcycle chain lube you are referring to may be different than the one I use (DuPont Chainsaver Wax-Based Chain Lubricant, with Teflon(R)). The DuPont product seems to work well. The chain is not sticky and seems to go a pretty good distance before showing any dirt pick up. I can tell the difference immediately after I apply the lube (you're supposed to apply it and let it dry for 30 minutes, but sometimes I get on the bike and ride right after). The DuPont product advertises itself as a dry wax, and especially touts its avoiding picking up abrasive dust.

There's also companion DuPont product chain cleaner. Works well. You don't get the chain as clean as removing it and cleaning with min spirits, but with the combo of cleaner first, Chainsaver Lube second, I get great results. The crud that does build up seems to be easily cleaned with the cleaner product (or with min spirits, btw).

Disclosure: I used to work for DuPont and one assignment was at the plant that makes Teflon(R) branded products, including PTFE. I don't anymore, and I surely would not use a DuPont product that didn't work. These products (the chainlube and chaincleaner) seem to work very well.
Good to hear. Thanks for the info. Always good to have alternatives. I'm old fashioned, I simply use bicycle chain lube.

Last edited by phughes; 07-10-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:46 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I am respectful all the way up to the point where someone else becomes disrespectful. i offered what i thought was a valid solution to the op’s problem. you don’t have to agree with it and you can certainly disagree. But it doesn’t give you the right to tell me to go find a new thread if you do disagree, that is rudeness.
I think our Blue Star Trolls owe you an apology. However, it is best not to engage them at all. You cannot win their game with logic or evidence (and I say this as someone who seems to disagree with many of your posts.)
Old 07-10-20, 11:55 AM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

I decided to try this lube last year on our tandem and really liked the smooth feel of the drivetrain during at least the first few miles after application. It’s very clean and it claims to be moisture resistant. I decided this would be my new go to lube, switching from Prolink which I’ve used for many years. Then we went on a multi-day tour where we experienced a couple of rain showers. The drivetrain remained silent and felt good, so I didn’t re-lube or inspect the chain until we returned home. When I went to re-lube, I realized that the chain had some surface rust stains. I decided to measure and realized that I was already at 0.5% stretch with just 1400 miles on the chain. (Other than the 300-400 mile tour, I had been re-lubing with Chainsaver every 100-200 miles) With Prolink my tandem chains go 3500 miles before getting to that point. Now I’m back to Prolink as my chain lube, but wondering if Chainsaver as the lube with then a wipe down of Prolink or Boeshield for corrosion resistance might give me the best of both worlds: super smooth running without the risk of rust or premature wear? I suppose that all wax based lubes are only appropriate for reliably dry conditions.
Old 07-10-20, 12:02 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I would suggest dissolving some of your wax in an appropriate solvent and simply top up as the chain starts to squeak. - Like you, I hot wax, but with a (messy) MC chain wax, like the one in the link. On the side I dissolved some of the wax in a small bottle of white gas and simply reapply from the bottle as needed.

https://www.putoline.com/en/catalogu...hain-wax/1675/

Last edited by Racing Dan; 07-10-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 12:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My waxing method is pretty much the same as Doc I's, and I may have borrowed/stolen my methods from his previous posts. Works for me.

I leave chains in the hot crock pot overnight. Doesn't hurt anything, might give it a better shot at penetrating. And I rig up paper clips through the ends to make it easier to grab with pliers and swirl around back and forth a few times.

The dry waxed chains are really quiet only for the first ride, or maybe up to 50 miles. After that there's some chain noise until I rewax them after around 200-500 miles. It's a metallic jingling noise, but not squeaking. But the only time I've heard any squeaking from zero lube metal on metal was after getting caught in a downpour when the chain was already due for rewaxing.

I've tried mixing leftover wax from scented candles, which already have some sort of solvent to make them softer. But the combination of scent and soy or other oils tends to burn and make an unpleasant odor, so I tossed that batch after a few months and started over with plain Gulf wax.

I recently got some PTFE powder to add but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Most of this year I've used Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry and Gold, just for giggles. They're good, very slick, but not nearly as clean as wax -- better than most oils but not really clean or "absolutely dry". Kinda pricey for what it is too -- the Absolute Dry appears to be naphtha with PTFE powder, and the Gold seems to be naphtha with PTFE and a little oil so it lasts longer per application. But both need to be wiped down often. And recently when my chain started dragging I realized paper towel fluff had accumulated on the chains from all the wiping, then dislodged between the pulleys and rear derailleur cage. Wotta mess. So I need better towels or just go back to waxing.
Old 07-10-20, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ooh another chain lube thread...
Old 07-10-20, 01:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So, an idea. Has anyone ever used a vacuum oven for waxing chains? The idea is to put the wax in the pot with the chain, put the pot in the oven, draw a moderate to hard vacuum, and heat the stuff up. Then when the vacuum has removed all the air from the spaces inside the chain, and the chain has sunk into the molten wax, you let the pressure come up. This forces the wax into the deepest crevasses. Then pull the chain out and let it drip-dry so as to not have a crust of wax.
Old 07-10-20, 01:32 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yeah, as the OP "I'm sorry" for that. I just want the d*mn grinding noise to stop all the while keeping my clean drive train. I'm a little too busy to moderate my own thread working full time and all. I did pour my weird concoction into a silicon bread mold so I could stare at the sediment on the solidified bottom of the rectangular hockey puck. Why? I have no idea right now. I just know that I want to keep riding.
Old 07-10-20, 01:37 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Waxed chains provide breeding ground for COVID-19, and pedaling with a high cadence can infect everyone within a 100 ft. radius. Oil-based lubes are generally much safer, however, as they usually contain hydroxychloroquine.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-10-20, 01:50 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Chain waxing .... is nonsense. Thread starter underlines this in spades.

CLEAN chain... off bike, soak & dry and then in the baggie to absorb a thin lube.. something like Liquid Wrench is excellent. Depends on local conditions in my sand country even on the road that means ever 200 mi or so. Run 2 chains a bike.. off and clean on.. quick links. I run 9 rear.. two chains run
s Tx this winter minus my local sand are/were to .045ish.. at 1500+ miles. I run them to .075.. ones gets good life from this routine w/o the nonsense of waxing the dam things.
Old 07-10-20, 02:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
What do y'all think about oil and OMS aka HomeBrew?
Old 07-10-20, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Home brewed Ales?
Old 07-10-20, 02:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Chain waxing .... is nonsense.
Well, that settles that.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-10-20, 03:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I still think hot wax is just too much bother, especially every 100 miles. I switched to Squirt from Finish Line dry lube and have been happy with it. It is every 100 or so miles, but it is just a squeeze bottle.

I know someone that would wash down his bike after every ride and I thought that was crazy too. Not just wipe it, but wash it. People just get obsessed.
Old 07-10-20, 03:46 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I used home brew - mineral spirits and motor oil or gear lube for many years. I got good chain life, but it created a dirty mess that I was constantly wiping off the chain and cassette. If I was to try it today, it would use very little oil and white gas/camp stove fuel that evaporates more quickly as the solvent.

My liquid wax lube is so much cleaner.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-10-20, 10:04 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Healthy debate is good. But I see you resorted to childlike behavior and started calling names.

Please leave this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-10-20, 10:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I think our Blue Star Trolls owe you an apology. However, it is best not to engage them at all. You cannot win their game with logic or evidence (and I say this as someone who seems to disagree with many of your posts.)

...after the laughter, there are always tears.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-10-20, 10:28 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Healthy debate is good. But I see you resorted to childlike behavior and started calling names.

Please leave this thread.
In all fairness, he made a perfectly reasonable suggestion in his first post, and was immediately asked to butt out of the thread. That's hardly encouraging healthy debate.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-10-20, 10:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
In all fairness, he made a perfectly reasonable suggestion in his first post, and was immediately asked to butt out of the thread. That's hardly encouraging healthy debate.
Discourse ≠ debate. No one asked to have to "defend the honor of chain waxing." The OP asked about additives for hot waxing-- abandoning hot wax for something else entirely isn't really an answer. Very, very few posts in this thread have provided on-topic responses.
Old 07-10-20, 10:47 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Very, very few posts in this thread have provided on-topic responses.
And how many of those people have been told to leave the thread?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-11-20, 12:08 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

And how many of those people have been told to leave the thread?
Only one so far. The person that called someone a name (or two).

I invite you to be on our moderation team.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-11-20, 12:11 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

In al fairness, I did not see where he was asked to "butt out of the thread". Although he did reply with crudeness and name calling. That goes against the forum guidelines, hence, me asking him to leave the thread.

I'd love to have you on board with the moderation team, though. We need people that can moderate the ****fest that happens when things like name calling and rudeness are allowed. I have a feeling that you can contribute a different style of balance.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-11-20 at 12:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.