Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 07:02 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
The Slow Spokes is a branch of the Southern Indiana Wheelmen. At one time I rode with the club in Louisville, but did not think much of their road manners. The Slow Spokes are very friendly and don't drop slower riders. The ride captains always stay with the slowest riders. There are rides that are flat and are rated as a #1 rides - at one time, my bike loved to do hills but as it has aged, it does much better on flats . These #1 rides happen in Sun, Tue, Thurs. But there are other choices as well - rides that are rated 2's and 3's during other parts of the week. The S P riders are mostly retired, but a few younger riders join in as well. Be aware that before and during rides some do, some don't social distance or wear masks (outside).

Last edited by Irishred; 06-15-20 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 06-15-20, 07:37 AM
Irishred

Freeranger-
Just last week put 2 inch tires on a recumbent bike (2 wheels) and took it off road at Turkey Run (The Paw Paw Trail) and it was a BLAST! But it really jiggled the giblets with no suspension on the bent. The Seatonville Trail at Turkey Run is very smooth but only a mile in length. There is a trail outside Elizabethtown that's about 5 miles in length (at Freeman Park Lake) that I'm going to try later this week that sounds nice. Then there are a couple of trails at Mammoth Cave Nat. Park that are pretty flat and not very technical I am going to try. I'm 75, so neither the innerds nor the backside can take a lot of roots and rocks on the trail any more, especially without suspension.
Old 06-15-20, 10:21 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Been riding a lot

Unlike last year where I got I’ll in July and couldn’t ride again until November, which really meant late March, i I’ve been riding regularly and consuming miles. This past week I’ve had two of 5.6 miles, a 13 miler and a 21 miler. For me, that’s a lot.

I like the shortest one for quick exercise. It takes about a half hour from when I go to the garage to get ready until I’ve put the bike back and headed inside. I can do this almost every day if my other activities allowed it. I aim for every other day, replacing with longer rides when I have the time.

Can’t wait to see how I hold up over the summer. I’m retired so I can’t take advantage of morning ride time and avoid afternoon heat.
Old 06-15-20, 11:10 AM
Irishred

Just keep your wheels rolling!
Old 06-16-20, 06:34 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BEC111
Can’t wait to see how I hold up over the summer. I’m retired so I can’t take advantage of morning ride time and avoid afternoon heat.
I assume you meant "can" instead of "can't" in your post. I agree that mornings are my favorite time to ride. I tend to wilt in the heat and much prefer being a bit too cool to being too hot. I also pretty much stick to weekdays since the popular routes and trails are virtually empty when I'm out there. So I'm basically on an opposite workout schedule from when I was working (which, after 10+ years, seems like a long time ago).
Old 06-16-20, 04:52 PM
Irishred

Any old cranks out there that mountain bike in Ky? I'm wanting to buddy up with someone who is open to try out the bike trails around Mammoth Cave National Park. I'm not fast as I ride a suspension free recumbent with big tires, but would like to try out a couple of the trails in the park that are not very technical with a fellow rider.
Old 06-17-20, 07:03 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
Any old cranks out there that mountain bike in Ky? I'm wanting to buddy up with someone who is open to try out the bike trails around Mammoth Cave National Park. I'm not fast as I ride a suspension free recumbent with big tires, but would like to try out a couple of the trails in the park that are not very technical with a fellow rider.
You can really ride a recumbent on trails? Seems to me most of them look slow-steering and you can't stand on the pedals going over bigger bumps. Also maybe hard to get your foot down if you tip over?

But I don't know anything for sure and realize that there are a number of different styles of recumbent. A friend of mine let me ride on his e-bike conversion of a "Day Six" bike that has a somewhat "kicked out" front wheel. I just rode it around a parking lot and it felt unstable as all get out, like riding a chopper when I'm used to a cafe racer!
Old 06-17-20, 08:14 AM
Irishred

Yes bents can be ridden off road, but you need to choose the trails well. I don't ride trails with a lot of roots and rocks. These obstacles can't always be totally avoided, so I just take them at a slower pace. I ride with Speedplay Frogs which are very easy to come out of quickly when the foot needs to come down. If there was a fully suspended bent out there, I would love to try to ride one of those. I do have a tight budget however. My road ride is a Tour Easy; my off-road is a EZ Sport...very similar rides but the latter with a higher bottom bracket. Slow-steering is not an issue if the bars are set up properly...and I usually don't ride the trails at a break neck speed, but sometimes pretty close to it
Old 06-17-20, 02:45 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Danger! Don’t go to the LBS high on endorphins

Originally Posted by RVH
Wait, let me understand, you were out on a ride and stopped at an LBS and spent $5,000???
Yes, that is what happened. Though I only spent $3800. And my wife is still talking to me!
Old 06-18-20, 05:27 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbob1
I'm in as well. Good idea. I like being over 65 and still planning and actually doing bicycle touring.
Good for you Denver Fox to lobby for us Grey Panthers.
I am still around and riding at 80 years old, but I use the username here of gobicycling now. I now spend my time in my own group on FB. Denver Fox
Old 06-19-20, 12:52 PM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
never grow up , it is no fun at all
Likes For tsurr:
Old 06-22-20, 02:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
So, I got a call today from the doctor doing the procedures telling me that they have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis, and will be posponed until the coast is clear. He said that even cancer surgeries are being cancelled, so even if they found something, it wouldn’t matter. Fortunately, my iron deficiency anemia symptoms have subsided since I began taking supplements, so I’m hopeful that my underlying condition is not serious or malignant.
Well, today I finally had my endoscopy and colonoscopy. The good (great) news is that there are no indications of colon or rectal cancer. Also, no indications of internal bleeding from ulcers, polyps, etc. However, I do have some other conditions that require attention and could be serious if left unattended. First, I have a hiatal hernia, which explains my GERD symptoms such as heartburn. I also have Grade A esophagitis, explains my acid reflux. The doc has prescribed omeprazalone (PriLOSEC) to help treat it, but if the hernia gets worse I may need surgery. The other problem is diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon, which can be treated with dietary changes, such as increasing fiber intake. None of this explains my initial iron deficiency, which is normally caused by internal bleeding. So, basically, it looks like I still have some good years in this little body. I'll be 74 in five days from now, and this is my best birthday present.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-23-20, 11:53 AM
Irishred

Great news! Good on you...
Old 06-24-20, 10:52 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I am still around and riding at 80 years old, but I use the username here of gobicycling now. I now spend my time in my own group on FB. Denver Fox
How is Nora doing?
Old 06-27-20, 07:48 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

So, today is my 74th birthday, and I’m little under the weather with a chest infection. Not sure if there’s any connection to the endoscopy I had performed 5 days ago, but I’ve been coughing up bloody sputum. Did my first ever telemedicine call with my PCP’s office, and they prescribed an antibiotic and a steriod, which can make me drowsy, so no driving. Anyway, I’m skipping my “ride my age” outing, but probably would have anyway due the poor air quality due to the Sahara dust. On the positive side, they finally got around to requireing masks inside businesses, so I’ll feel a bit safer when shopping at the market. I’d really like to have more birthdays, and survive until there’s an effective vaccine.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-27-20, 03:46 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Happy birthday! I hope you recover quickly.
Old 06-27-20, 04:03 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by philbob57
Happy birthday! I hope you recover quickly.
Thanks ! You're the first person other than my stock broker and insurance agent to wish me a happy birthday.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 07-11-20, 11:23 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
I'll chime in, I'm 66 and a bit of a Clydesdale at 95kg, put on ~10kg during the 2020 lock-down. Too much couch time, too little cycling.
I've got a Giant Escape 3 Hybrid for a rain or shine ride and a Giant OCR 3 road bike for sunny days.
Old 07-12-20, 10:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by tsurr
never grow up , it is no fun at all

This kid still gets a big smile when on his bike.
Old 07-12-20, 04:47 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Wildwood, nice picture. That is how I feel when riding one of my bikes. What is that vest you are sporting? I like it!
Old 07-12-20, 07:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Wildwood, nice picture. That is how I feel when riding one of my bikes. What is that vest you are sporting? I like it!
it is one of a couple I have. Doable in the too kewl PNW,
when you have as many bikes as I do, both clincher/tubular, 23mm to 33mm, vintage/modern, etc/etc - it becomes impossible (for me) to have a saddle pack for each. Besides, the mini backpack pouch allows for a sandwich & soda or extra tool, even my superlightweight water walkers if my ride is long and crossing or following a river.

Here's another regular - Swiss national champion's winter gillet.

Some might call it a surveyor's vest, or a shooter's vest, or a boat fisherman's vest. I call it the perfect cycling vest in temperate climes. Not for heavy sweat'ers.

But I really wear it because it is so darn stylish!!!

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-12-20 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 02:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
it is one of a couple I have. Doable in the too kewl PNW,
when you have as many bikes as I do, both clincher/tubular, 23mm to 33mm, vintage/modern, etc/etc - it becomes impossible (for me) to have a saddle pack for each. Besides, the mini backpack pouch allows for a sandwich & soda or extra tool, even my superlightweight water walkers if my ride is long and crossing or following a river.

Here's another regular - Swiss national champion's winter gillet.

Some might call it a surveyor's vest, or a shooter's vest, or a boat fisherman's vest. I call it the perfect cycling vest in temperate climes. Not for heavy sweat'ers.

But I really wear it because it is so darn stylish!!!
Thanks much for the info.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-13-20, 01:48 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Advice needed!

I am close to being 70 yrs old and had to stop cycling 5 years ago due to two knee replacements and then two partially torn rotator cuffs along with some other muscle tears (not to mention arthritic big toes). I substituted my biking for world travel to more remote areas and enjoyed incredible hiking and nature along with experiencing many different cultures and people. OK, well the global traveling thing ain't happening now or in the near future so I have tried returning to my bike which I always loved. My question focuses on bike fit with my physical problems. Question one, for those that have had TKR did you experience any issues when clipped into your pedals? I use SPD-SL pedals and cleats (yellow for max float) and immediately felt pain in one of my titanium knees when I rode. When I put flat pedals on, no knee pain. Is there a trick to clipping in your replaced knees? The second question is about my torn rotator cuffs which I have thus far refused to have surgically repaired due to the long recovery time. I can still ride by keeping as little pressure as possible on the bars (drop down with raised angled stem) but still have some pain during but more after the ride. Again, any recommendations from those with similar problems? I appreciate all comments. Thank you.
Likes For Senior Vagabond:
Old 07-13-20, 02:08 PM
Wttnwa

Bikes: 2003 Allez Specialized Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Senior Vagabond - I have not had a knee replacement, but if there is no pain with flat pedals, I would just stay with those. I want to ride and enjoy the ride and if one day the clipless pedals are to much for me, I will swap out to flat pedals without a second thought.
Old 07-13-20, 02:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Take a return to cycling from debilitating medical problems slowly. It’s a sport best enjoyed for a lifetime. Ease in.

I would say say you need to find a physical therapist who cycles. Not my guesses to specific problems. Good luck, the physical upsides are personally satisfying as well as medically appropriate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.