Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Piaggio Ebikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Piaggio Ebikes

Old 07-13-20, 10:09 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Piaggio Ebikes

What do you think of these ebikes? Does anyone own one? How do you get parts or repairs done? Does Piaggio support their products well?

https://piaggioamericas.regfox.com/wi-bike
Old 07-14-20, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
A really poor website with no info aside from a long terms of use. Certainly a loser in my book. Generally a quality company would list what motor and other parts they use and give you some info rather than just some jargon and asking for money.

I haven't seen one and the motor and battery don't look familiar. Bosch, Brose and Shimano are all easy to reach out to and get parts from if needed and from a wider variety of shops. Dealing with warranties for odd companies with odd parts is not so good and can lead to warranties that last months and months and get us nowhere. I am in the process of working on 3 right now that are nightmares and of course none of which are from the big 3.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-15-20, 03:01 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Piaggio is the company that makes the Vespa. If you have a Vespa dealer in town, you should be fine.

p.s. It looks like there is a Vespa dealership in Denver.
Old 07-15-20, 07:51 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
No info about motor, battery, parts.... frame, fork... no nothing.
Price suggests direct from China
You get what you pay for.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-15-20, 10:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Curious, Piaggio seems to have a good name in scooters. Wonder if they "rented" their name to another company which otherwise isn't associated with them.
Old 07-15-20, 02:26 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Here is a pdf about the motor https://www.engines.piaggio.com/data/...powertrain.pdf EBR reviews from 2017/2018 listed the motor as an in-house design, it was available programmed as Class 1 (Comfort) or Class 3 (Active). The display by Continental had bluetooth, there were customer and dealer apps for the bike, and I think the head-tube shock absorber with not much travel was a design thing at the time as the Gazelle EasyFlow/Ami model came out about the same time with that feature.

An early problem with the Wi-Bike belt drive/Nuvinci models that used a belt from Continental was as a result of multiple failures reported on Ikea Sladda pedal bikes using the same belt leading to that component being withdrawn from market, the Wi-Bike was subsequently sold with derailleur only. In 2020 Continental withdrew from the e-bike market entirely so presumably their technical support for the Wi-Bike has gone unless Piaggio have an arrangement to cover the warranty period, but as others have pointed out (and I am not a lawyer) the legal wording on the product page under "Disclaimer of Warranties" mentions them being sold "as is" suggesting the Wi-Bikes may no longer be sold with either a warranty or technical support. Very few comments on the EBR brand sub-forum, mostly complaints about the belt recall. Presumably Piaggio dealers didn't know how to market it, there was one near me (now gone) but I never saw a Wi-Bike in their shop window, it was over-priced at launch and the current pricing looks like clearance.

Last edited by Dewey101; 07-16-20 at 08:39 AM.
Likes For Dewey101:
Old 07-16-20, 11:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Curious, Piaggio seems to have a good name in scooters. Wonder if they "rented" their name to another company which otherwise isn't associated with them.
Plenty of big well known names slap their names on cheap products. GMC Denali anyone? This one could be an actual product of Piaggio but that doesn't mean a mark of quality. either. If you can't even talk about your bike beyond buzzwords it is not a good sign. If I can't even list the components on it and talk more in depth about the drive unit or at least have a good link to the manufacturer of the drive unit, I probably can't make a decent bike. I shouldn't need to hide behind jargon and be able to say "this is a Bosch drive and Nexus Hub and stuff like that.
Old 10-30-21, 03:24 AM
claproth

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

The link for the motor pdf does not work. Any other way to get this? Or does anyone know how to change the engine to C3 settings?

D
Old 10-30-21, 06:24 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by claproth
Hi,

The link for the motor pdf does not work. Any other way to get this? Or does anyone know how to change the engine to C3 settings?

D
With this mentality I wonder how China can be a strategic threat to the US?
Old 10-31-21, 08:33 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I think you will continue to see companies that have produce gas powered bikes and scoots offer e-bikes and e-motos.
Bultaco, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, Yamaha and Harley Davidson are already on board.