Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First time rebuilding wheels - which spokes to buy?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First time rebuilding wheels - which spokes to buy?

Old 07-14-20, 06:52 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself

Any thoughts on the seals above?
I am completely old school. I have never owned or worked on any hubs, bottom brackets, etc that were "sealed"
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-14-20, 07:00 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

polymorphself , did you note the cross pattern before taking them apart?
Old 07-14-20, 07:06 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
polymorphself , did you note the cross pattern before taking them apart?
Nope but I do have a pic if this helps...

Likes For polymorphself:
Old 07-14-20, 07:06 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
You might like this book https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I think I saw it recommended here on bike forums.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 07-14-20, 07:10 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Nope but I do have a pic if this helps...

Front is three cross. Catalog may tell what pattern is/was used on rear.
Old 07-14-20, 07:17 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by jiangshi
Front is three cross. Catalog may tell what pattern is/was used on rear.
Sorry here is rear. Looks to be the same?

Old 07-14-20, 07:21 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
For the hub seals....you probably can't find just those parts so if it comes down to re-using them or getting new hubs, I'd just re-use the hubs. The only purpose of the seals is to keep dirt out and many older bikes didn't have seals or had metal seals that weren't very tight. Bottom line, I don't think any small defects in the seals is a deal breaker and I'd just try to fit them as well as you can keep and eye on the hubs. Worst case, grease will accumulate around the axle or a little dirt will get inside. If it's bad enough, just clean the hub and/or put in new grease. Not a big deal, and if you only ride when the weather is good, you'll never have any trouble with the seals.
Likes For Iowegian:
Old 07-14-20, 07:24 PM
branko_76 

Sorry here is rear. Looks to be the same?
If the spokes are within 2mm or so of the front wheel, then my guess would be they both have the same cross pattern. If there is more like a 5 or 6mm difference between front and rear, then it could be 4x but the rear does look more like 3x. I'm basing my guess on the angle of the spokes at the hub, 4x would be closer to tangent than 3x.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-14-20, 07:32 PM
Iowegian

It's hard to tell from that photo but I too think 3x on the rear.
Likes For Iowegian:
Old 07-14-20, 07:52 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I think 3x, as well.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 07-14-20, 08:25 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nipples? Do most people like brass or aluminum nipples? I assumed brass, but didn't know.
Old 07-15-20, 10:51 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Brass.
Old 07-15-20, 04:19 PM
polymorphself 

Hm- looks like the front axle isn't perfectly symmetrical, which I haven't seen before, but it's close. Maybe 1mm difference. Guessing it doesn't matter much?

branko_76 Those spokes are soaking, I'll update later today.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 07-15-20, 04:40 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
polymorphself To determine the x pattern, just pick a spoke and count the number of times it crosses another spoke. Include the cross nearest the hub. Everyone counts.
Hate to make this more complex but there are different length nipples and nipple threading. The last is unlikely to be a problem for you. Having all the nipples the same length is an advantage when lacing tightening the spokes. If they are all the same length, you can start with making sure the end of the nipple reaches the end of the thread for each spoke.
Old 07-15-20, 04:45 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by SJX426
polymorphself To determine the x pattern, just pick a spoke and count the number of times it crosses another spoke. Include the cross nearest the hub. Everyone counts.
Hate to make this more complex but there are different length nipples and nipple threading. The last is unlikely to be a problem for you. Having all the nipples the same length is an advantage when lacing tightening the spokes. If they are all the same length, you can start with making sure the end of the nipple reaches the end of the thread for each spoke.
Thanks! Good to know for the future but all the spokes are already out.

branko_76 Well, they turned black and then when I pulled them out and cleaned them with the scotch pad it did do a pretty good job, much better than before. However they are still extremely dull. I could scrub all 76 down and then try polishing them, but after doing one to wear I thought it looked decent enough (scrubbing the hooks isn't the easiest), I don't know that it's worth it.

Aside from that, I've started sorting them into two piles to determine which are shorter and it turns out there are actually three lengths here...I'm real close to just giving up and buying a new wheelset

I have a bicycle co op across the street from my house. Gonna head over there this afternoon and get all of the spokes measured, see what I come up with and go from there. I ordered a spoke ruler but it won't be here for a few days.

Last edited by polymorphself; 07-15-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-15-20, 05:17 PM
branko_76 

polymorphself , wheel building takes time to master, that's why I suggested you start with what you have instead of spending money on new spokes.

There's one thing I forgot to mention in my tool list, a spoke tension meter. This is essential if you want to build a strong set of wheels.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-15-20, 05:32 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
polymorphself, The spokes you have are either galvanized or zinc coated, not stainless. If you try to polish them you will remove the coating and they will rust. You can scrub them, but I wouldn't get too aggressive about it.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 07-15-20, 05:37 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
polymorphself, The spokes you have are either galvanized or zinc coated, not stainless. If you try to polish them you will remove the coating and they will rust. You can scrub them, but I wouldn't get too aggressive about it.
Makes sense. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a new set. Gotta figure out these various lengths first.
Old 07-15-20, 06:18 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
I recently built my first wheel set and, while it was challenging, it was also worth it.
Spoke length calculating, learning lacing patterns, centering the rim, and proper tensioning were all kind of tricky.

With that said, and after you snag a truing stand, it is pretty cool to learn this skill.

For reasonably-priced spokes, and very good customer service and communication, I was totally happy with Lee Kilpatrick, who is childhood_dreams on the auction site. Or, an easier method is to e-mail him directly at the addy below. He rolls the threads and cuts them to your specs. His lesser-known brand is Pillar, which he feels are similar to Sapim but a bit less expensive.

lkspoke@yahoo.com

Old 07-15-20, 06:53 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by 67tony
I recently built my first wheel set and, while it was challenging, it was also worth it.
Spoke length calculating, learning lacing patterns, centering the rim, and proper tensioning were all kind of tricky.

With that said, and after you snag a truing stand, it is pretty cool to learn this skill.

For reasonably-priced spokes, and very good customer service and communication, I was totally happy with Lee Kilpatrick, who is childhood_dreams on the auction site. Or, an easier method is to e-mail him directly at the addy below. He rolls the threads and cuts them to your specs. His lesser-known brand is Pillar, which he feels are similar to Sapim but a bit less expensive.

lkspoke@yahoo.com

Awesome, thank you! I’m friendly with my LBS and he said I could come in and use his stand after I get the wheels laced up and he’ll show me how to do it. Would get the spokes from him But he doesn’t currently carry what I want and is very low on supplies currently anyways. I’ll get all of the measurements for these spokes and send Lee an email. I appreciate it.
Old 07-16-20, 08:29 PM
Iowegian

Originally Posted by Pars
Nipples? Do most people like brass or aluminum nipples? I assumed brass, but didn't know.
Brass nipples are much stronger and easier to work with. They may add a few grams to each wheel but if you don't care about that, or care about the color of the nipples, use brass.
Old 07-18-20, 08:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Be aware that the rear spokes will be a different length than the front, and also different on each side.
I doubt that OEM wheels use different length spokes on the rear. Front to back spoke length will be different because of differences in the hub flange size and width of the hubs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-18-20, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Got it, thanks! I quickly figured out what the 14 meant after taking a spoke wrench to the wheels just a few minutes ago. So, #14 , stainless and double butted if I'm ok with the cost, but single will be ok.
Spoke gauge refers to the size of the wire used for the spoke. It’s not a number 14 spoke but a 14 gauge spoke. A 14 gauge spoke is 2.0mm along it’s entire length.

Butted spokes will have two gauge numbers (or two metric numbers). A 14/15/14 is a common way to refer to a double butted spoke. The metric sizes are 2.0/1.8/2.0mm. Butted spokes are better for longevity. Personally, I would complicate the build a bit more by going to a triple butted spoke which is a 2.3/1.8/2.0mm spoke, especially for the rear. That is going to give the most strength and durability.

While you are at it, I’d investigate getting rid of the freewheel and upgrade to a cassette. Axle bending on a freewheel is a common and consistent problem with freewheels. Going to a freehub fixes the problem. They may not be OEM but they are correct to the period.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-18-20, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Pars
If all I have are square nipples, I build with brass (and use a four sided spoke wrench like this one to keep from rounding the spoke). But I build with Wheel Fanatyk splined spokes whenever I can now. They are much better than any square spoke and they come in great colors.

Old 07-18-20, 08:46 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Which spokes?

Hi.
I've built a few wheel sets over the years. Depending on what the intended use of the bike is, I'd use DT Swiss spokes (single butted) and DT Swiss brass nipples. You will simply get nothing stronger. Perhaps lighter, but nor stronger.

There are a few wheel spoke length calculators online. They require the number of spokes, the width of the hubs. The flange height of the hubs and the inner diameter of the rims. Also the numbrr of crosses the spokes make with other spokes once laced. It's best to measure in metric. You can manually calculate required spoke lengths to, vut may find it frustrating.

Someplace I thought I had seen a database for rim ID dimensions and the dimension of hub spoke holes from the centre of hub axle measured radially.

Once you have these dimensions and number of spokes and crosses, enter them into the online calculator (or handheld) and out comes the answer. Hope it helps.
Likes For Nu2Miele:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.