kylen721
I Ride Slow

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best dfw bike shop

Hey guys need some info I am about to get my first road bike and I am trying to figure out where I want to invest my money. I have a store pretty close so I am going to give them a shot first since they are the closest, but I am wondering if there are any shops I should check out. My fiance and I want to buy each other bikes for our wedding presents so we are looking to buy two bikes and full gear and stuff. Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-20-07, 09:13 PM
wayner61
wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Richardson Bike mart (www.bikemart.com - multiple locations) and Plano Cycling and Fitness (www.planocycling.com) are two of the biggest in the area. Performance (www.performancebike.com) is a national chain that just opened stores in Plano and Fort Worth.

I know I left out a bunch of smaller "mom and pop" type shops around the area but these three chains have massive selections and, for the most part, very knowledgeable staff. Check around and see who gives you the best "vibe".

Buying a bike can be a lot of fun, but requires a fair number of decisions to be made as you narrow down your selection. Fit is critical. Getting a bike that suits the type of riding you do is key as well. This is one area where larger stores have an advantage since they typically have much more inventory than smaller stores.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-07, 09:35 PM
RC_spinner

Bikes: 90's Fuji, bought off ebay, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from someone who is just getting back into cycling since my late teens, I had some reluctance about the bike shop experience and the sale people etc. I talked to Lee at Bike Mart-White Rock and a few weeks later talked to Geoff at Bike Mart-Richardson. Bought my Trek 1500 from Geoff, and he fit me perfectly on the bike and I cant seem to stop riding. Wherever ya'll get your bikes from, MAKE SURE THEY FIT YOU!!! You will notice a difference from your first test ride to the final fit.

chris
Old 04-21-07, 01:09 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
So far I've got the best service from Colonel's. They don't have as much in stock as some of the bigger stores. They just don't have the room, but everyone there seems to know their stuff.
Old 04-21-07, 12:00 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Another vote for Richardson Bike Mart. That said. Most bikes at a similar price level have the same components on them. If you local bike shop seems competent and has a bike that fits you, go with them.

Hey Shooter!!!! Long time, no see, how is life treating you?
Old 04-21-07, 03:25 PM
dl613
Will race for points

Bikes: Tarmac, looking for another tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Mart gets my vote not just as a customer/rider myself but also because I sent my mom there for her bike and they not only spent literally 3 hours with her but the same person fit her shoes, let her ride multiple bikes and taught her how to work her pedals and gears. He didn't do the actual bike fit but stayed with her the whole time the fitting was being done. That's even more amazing since it was a busy Saturday around lunch time.
Old 04-21-07, 03:48 PM
TechJunkie
Reposting Yuppie Scum

Bikes: '98 Cervelo Eyre, '80 Centurion Lemans 12, '96 GT LTS-3, '05 Specialized Allez Elite Cro-Mo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RBM is a lot of flashy, overpriced stuff. That said, they have one of just about everything, so go spend 8 hours trying it out before you buy something.
Old 04-21-07, 04:41 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RBM has the best and most experienced service department. They have done a couple of complete builds for me and did a good job in a very reasonable amount of time. Great company. Their owner is on the board of my hosptal (non-profit, 120 beds). Good people.
Old 04-22-07, 02:45 PM
h2omojo
This Space for Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you notice all the Dallasites are voting for RBM...for those of us that live on the western side of the plex the clear choice is Bicycles Inc. I like Eddie at the Arlington store, but they are great at all 4 stores, Bedford, Keller, Arlington and Fort Worth.
Old 04-22-07, 08:03 PM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't forget Bicycles Inc. in Arlington. I have dealt with Gordon and Robert and they are great. I got back into cycling after a 10 year hiatus. Gordon sized me up and after telling him what I wanted in a bike, helped me find the right bike for me. All the Bicycles Inc stores are have knowlegable people. They have a store in Keller, Bedford, Arlington, and Fort Worth.

I have heard the Performance Bicycle shop in Ft. Worth did not have knowledgable people in the store and Customer Service was not that great. Could be that it is a new store and they haven't fished through the pool of applicants to get the right people.
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 04-23-07, 07:04 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dislike every shop I've been to so far exect Fort Worth Cycling. I've not been to Panther or Colonel's yet.

Bike's inc has treated me horrible - the Arlington Locale in partixular. Paid them to pack and ship a bike, and it arrived broken, and they've never filed a claim with fedex, after months of prodding and asking.

RBM is just too big - I can't get good help, rarely get knowledegable help.
Old 04-23-07, 08:59 AM
kylen721
I Ride Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the place I am closest to is B&B Bicycles in cedar hill. anyone ever shop there before? I think I am going to end up giving them a shot first and if they dont have what I am looking for or they dont have great service then I will end up shoping around a lot.
Old 04-23-07, 09:07 AM
All1NTao
Pastafarian Prophet

Bikes: Sandivk Titanium road with Easton Carbon bits and Dave Speed Dream Wheels. Breezer Lighting Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with a shop this is somewhat close to you so you can develop a relationship with the shop as you return for parts and stuff. If the shop knows you then they usually will give you a break on minor repair costs etc... Otherwise I vote for RBM. The only shop I know whos prices are competitive with on-line shopping.
Old 04-23-07, 11:23 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I've been ignored at RBM in Richardson on multiple occasions. I usually am forced to seek out a sales person to get any kind of assistance there. They do have a massive selection, but it can be overwhelming.

I get great service at Bikes Inc., in Bedford. Of course, that's probably because I used to be drinking buddies with the manager, Russ. Both Russ and his brother, Ian, are very competent guys.

We just bought my wife's bike at Uptown Cycles. Donovan is a great guy, and gave us a great deal on her bike. They also worked with us on the accessories she wanted, not price-wise, but selection-wise. His shop doesn't look like it's got a large selection, but it does. He only builds up one or two of each model for display purposes, but will build up the size you need for you. His mechanic, Tommy, is competent, too.
Old 04-23-07, 01:06 PM
kylen721
I Ride Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just as an update I went by B&B today and spoke with a couple of the sales people and they were both great. there were more customers than there were sales people, but I was still helped with all of my questions. I did not have time to test ride or anything but they said they will make sure they get a proper fit they also do service free for the first year. So thanks to everyons help I am going to go local.
Old 04-23-07, 02:08 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried the RBM stores and have had pretty good experiences with them. My shop of choice is Plano Cycling and Fitness. They have an awsome selection of bikes and accessories and an excellent service department.

I've been ignored at RBM in Richardson on multiple occasions. I usually am forced to seek out a sales person to get any kind of assistance there.
+1. If I go to any of the RBM locations it is the one in Frisco.

Go with a shop this is somewhat close to you so you can develop a relationship with the shop as you return for parts and stuff. If the shop knows you then they usually will give you a break on minor repair costs etc...
+1. Get to know the people who work on your bike. Build a relationship with the people who you will hand lots of money over to I actually go out of my way to get to my shop of choice because of the service and attention that I receive when I get there.
Old 04-27-07, 06:15 PM
gorditosan
06' red roubaix

Bikes: '06 Trek 7.3FX/'06 Red Roubaix TC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RBM gets my vote. Best inventory, good people. Cove shops there too!
Old 04-30-07, 03:23 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well...

I have bought 2 bikes from PCF and 2 bikes from RBM. I live in Frisco and drive to PCF. I guess that tells you who gets my vote.

Can't really say I have ever had anything but good experience at both places. RBM is massive and really fun to visit. The folks at both stores are great to work with and very knowledgable. Much more of a 'your part of our family' feel at PCF IMO. I think the prices are a bit better at PCF but some have disagreed with me on that one. Maybe I am getting better deals now because I have pretty much committed to PCF solely?
Old 04-30-07, 03:26 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RBM is building up a set of wheels for me right now. Great service.
Old 05-13-07, 03:16 PM
kylen721
I Ride Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*update*

I think I have narrowed it down to the Specialized Allez Elite. My only problem now is choosing between the 06 and 07. I like the look of the 07 better, but the 06 is full 105 and the 07 has Tiagra shifters and FD. How much better is the 105 stuff? would it be silly to pay a little bit more for the 07 just because I like the way it looks?

Thanks for any help
Old 05-14-07, 08:41 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylen721
would it be silly to pay a little bit more for the 07 just because I like the way it looks?
LOL

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 05-15-07, 06:52 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylen721
*update*

I think I have narrowed it down to the Specialized Allez Elite. My only problem now is choosing between the 06 and 07. I like the look of the 07 better, but the 06 is full 105 and the 07 has Tiagra shifters and FD. How much better is the 105 stuff? would it be silly to pay a little bit more for the 07 just because I like the way it looks?

Thanks for any help

I would go with the '06 full 105 group. What's the price difference? You can bargain on the '06 as well. Specialized has been dumbing down their bikes in the last couple of years so you're getting less for a little bit more. I bought my Roubaix Pro ('05) with full DA and two years later my wife's Roubaix Pro comes with half DA, half Ultegra. Not sure if they're doing this across the lines but I'll bet they are.
Old 05-15-07, 09:58 AM
kylen721
I Ride Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah I was thinking the full 105 makes a little more sense B&B has it marked down to 999 and I may be able to get it for a little less than that. The 07 is 1099 so a little bit more for a not as well equiped bike. Seems like an easy decision I guess but in the looks department the 07 wins by a landslide. As soon as I get the money for the bike I will probably go ride both and see if i can tell the difference. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 05-22-07, 03:04 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Bikemart is cool. Plano cycling never been, but I heard it's good. I used to go to bicycles plus...expensive but the technicians know their bikes. Bicycles INC I think has the best prices.
Old 05-29-07, 12:52 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
So far I've got the best service from Colonel's. They don't have as much in stock as some of the bigger stores. They just don't have the room, but everyone there seems to know their stuff.
+1 I know it's too late and inapplicable for the OP, but Colonel's is my favorite Fort Worth area shop. I have bought a few things at Performance, but rely on the great customer service at Colonel's -- they fixed a bent derailleur hanger on my bike for free though it was clearly my fault (or my kid's fault). They just moved a few doors down into a bigger shop.

Before I ever bought a bike from them, I ran my old bike over with what I thought was a quickly failing headset. Rick, one of the partners, pulled out a few wrenches and fixed it on the spot. For free. It was pretty easy to pick where my next bike would come from when I was in the market several months later.

I don't dislike the Bicycle's Inc. on Granbury, but haven't gotten a good feel from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.