Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool PRS-15 Pro Race Stand--Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-25-07, 11:11 AM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone have the Park Tool PRS-15 Pro Race Stand and think it is worth the 252.00 that Nashbar is selling it at? the discount code for 10% brings it down to 226.76 but with shipping it is 270.14 I guess then th question is : is the Park Tool PRS-15 Pro Race Stand worth 270.14?
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 05-25-07, 07:32 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No one answered this? weird. Anywho, is the Park worth $270? That's a tough question, it depends on how much of a tight wad you are! Or if your going to be working on a lot of bikes.

I use to race bikes back in the mid 70's to mid 80's and still ride today. And during all those years I NEVER had a stand. I found ways to work on my bikes that made buying a stand a waste of money for me; plus I'm always trying not to spend money, so that motivated me.

I just flip the bikes upside down if I need to work the components, or adjust while riding. Fortunately I have a relative trouble free bike so I don't have to keep dinkin with it to keep it running smoothly.

If I had more then 8 or more bikes to dink with then I probably would buy one, but I only have 2 with a 3rd one coming this later this summer thus I don't see a need for one.

I also have never purchased a wheel truing tool either! Yet I true my wheels just fine if not better then people I knew that had the proper tool! I just flip the bike upside down, and close the brakes just enough to use them as guide. It probably takes longer this way then with the proper tool, but I don't have to true my wheels after every ride, in fact I rarely have to adjust them, so this method is just fine.
Old 05-25-07, 08:58 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by txtricrossryder
Anyone have the Park Tool PRS-15 Pro Race Stand and think it is worth the 252.00 that Nashbar is selling it at? the discount code for 10% brings it down to 226.76 but with shipping it is 270.14 I guess then th question is : is the Park Tool PRS-15 Pro Race Stand worth 270.14?
Personally, I think it's well worth it. It's rugged as a tank and has some very nice accessories. If you wrench at a race, it's very nice with the bucket, tool pouch, truing attachment, etc. I did indeed get mine at Nashbar on sale and with free shipping. The way the feet level is great for uneven surfaces and is very solid. It's not light weight, but that's one of the reasons it's so solid. Not cheap either, but if you have the money and want a nice stand that will likely last your lifetime, then this is an excellent choice. I love mine.
Old 05-25-07, 10:26 PM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys,
Thanks for both of your advice and opinions. I ended up purchasing the Ultimate Sport-Mechanic Repair Stand at my LBS. It cost more from the LBS than on the websites I visited, but I supported my LBS and I got it instantly and didn't have to wait to have it shipped and worry about it getting damaged (Not a tightwad, but I am anal). I saw several reviews on both the Park Tool and the Ultimate brand, but it seemed that I could save some by getting the Ultimate and it was still a long term asset for my cycling. Everyone was very happy with it the Ultimate brand (rated a 4.72 out of 5). I do wish the Ultimate had a comparable bucket like the park tool, but I did order the tool tray that should be sufficient for my needs. I am already using it for a restoration project on a Volkscycle I purchased. https://www.pbase.com/cparker75/restoration
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 05-26-07, 05:54 AM
LtSPD2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Ultimate Elite Pro and like it very well. I replaced a Park PRS5 with it. Works great!