Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

WIDE cycling shoes ?? Are there any out there? Do you have the same problem?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:44 AM
alejoviade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I already know that there are...well a couple (at least in the US, perhaps more overseas...) I even called to TREK and Specialized and asked them "I know there is a need for them since there are entire forums that talk about the need for wide shoes.... Why don;t you guys make them available ? It makes no sense... !"

So I use Bontrager RL and Lake CX217 but need to replace at least one of them. Yes I found a couple of, well...boring black..but NOTHING in any color (at least that I can afford).
I looked at forums but most of the models discussed are outdated and or when I look for the particular shoe.... well, there are NO options for wide.

Anybody has the same problem? What are the "still available" (2015 - 2016) shoes that meet the EE criteria ?

Thank you !!

Alex
Old 04-05-16, 11:54 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I've tried many different wide shoes, and it seems the old leather Sidi mega shoes worked pretty well. But they are so pricey! When I changed from road pedals to SPD-style pedals on all my bikes (so I could use one pair of shoes for all my bikes), I had to give up the Sidis. My foot is 4E with high instep and a couple bunions - very difficult to fit. I tried wide Lakes, wide Shimanos, and couldn't find a decent fit. Finally, I stumbled upon two that work for me, and I'm pretty pleased with both of them. The one that fits best is a Giro Privateer HV (high volume). Because of my high instep, I had a shoe shop relocate the two lower straps a half-inch out (you can see the original stitch holes by the straps). These are my most comfortable shoes.

The other shoe that works well is a Scott MTB Team Boa in the standard width. Because the boa allows the shoe to really open up, it can accomodate the width and bolume of my foot. Having the boa lacing reach more toward the toe is important. For me, these are best on the 20-30 mile rides, while the Giros get the long rides.

You may not have the luxury of picking and choosing colors. But if you can get a good fit, the aesthetics may be irrelavant. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.0 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.7 KB, 421 views)
Old 04-05-16, 12:54 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I contacted Lake today to see what they have for me. I am in a unique situation in that I wear a 8.5 4E shoe. People with size 10+ have a much easier time finding a wide shoe. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit no matter what type it is. The dress shoes I have on are a Clark wide and they are a little too tight for me (they are not new). I am hoping I don't have to drop $1000+ for a pair of shoes that fit. I tried a few Giro shoes on last year, I could barely jam my foot into the high volume ones.

The worst part is that most shops suggest I go up a size or 2 to get more room in the toe box. The problem with that is the cleat positioning goes out the window which will cause me even more foot pain.
Old 04-05-16, 01:23 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
One thing about the Giros is they vary in volume and width from model to model. The Carbide and Privateer were the widest. If you can find a leather shoe like the old Sisis, you might have a chance. I, too, would hate to have to spend huge $$$ on shoes.
Old 04-05-16, 01:27 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alejoviade
Well, I already know that there are...well a couple (at least in the US, perhaps more overseas...) I even called to TREK and Specialized and asked them "I know there is a need for them since there are entire forums that talk about the need for wide shoes.... Why don;t you guys make them available ? It makes no sense... !"

So I use Bontrager RL and Lake CX217 but need to replace at least one of them. Yes I found a couple of, well...boring black..but NOTHING in any color (at least that I can afford).
I looked at forums but most of the models discussed are outdated and or when I look for the particular shoe.... well, there are NO options for wide.

Anybody has the same problem? What are the "still available" (2015 - 2016) shoes that meet the EE criteria ?

Thank you !!

Alex
I wear New Balance 13 EE shoes, I have flat feet, and the Specialized Elite Road shoes in size 48 fit me very well.
Old 04-05-16, 05:10 PM
novemberhotel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I bought a pair of wide Shimano cleats from Zappos but they're just ok. The LBS around me (including really big stores) have no wide shoes in stock. This forces me to buy a return the shoes that don't fit which makes me feel bad for the online retailers.
Old 04-06-16, 01:18 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
In my experience almost all shoe makers make wide sized shoes, in the $150 range (and others at more expensive prices).

What I personally did is just switch to pinned flat pedals. They've worked far better for me than clipless did - no more foot hotspots, no more knee pain (though to be fair I solved that with a different solution), no more annoying switching between shoes all the time. My speedometer says I'm no slower. I bought Chrome Kurk's and Specialized Bennie pedals and it's worked very well for me.
Old 04-06-16, 08:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
How about wide cycling shoes that dont cost and arm and a leg?
Old 04-06-16, 09:15 AM
Yendor72

Lake got back to me and first requested my foot length and width which I replied to in millimeters. They then came back with 2 recommended shoes (I had requested MTB info). Lake's return policy is 10% restocking or free sizing returns. I pulled the trigger on the MX 237 43 wide that the sales guy suggested based on my foot dimensions. I suggested others do the same thing to help them figure it out as well. I am very hopeful that I can find a shoe that fits.
Old 04-06-16, 10:36 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I rode with a guy the other day that was wearing some new specialized shoes (that had the boa closure system) and he told me that they were the only shoes that fit his feet. He said he was a "true E" (his words).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-06-16, 10:54 AM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have wide feet, but I tried on a Shimano M089 wide to see if they would be more comfortable. Honestly, I could barely feel a difference.
Old 04-06-16, 11:39 AM
Yendor72

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I rode with a guy the other day that was wearing some new specialized shoes (that had the boa closure system) and he told me that they were the only shoes that fit his feet. He said he was a "true E" (his words).
I found some information yesterday that tells you by millimeter what shoe sizes and width are. Based on those numbers and my measurements I am exactly a 8.5 US and true EEEE. I was hoping to be a little narrower, but the numbers don't lie. Measuring is the only way to go.
Old 04-07-16, 10:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Narrow shoes ruin your feet and give you hot foot when you ride. Not everyone has a long narrow foot.
Old 04-07-16, 11:25 AM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a wide 2E and the Shimano Road shoes the very basic ones - R088 wides fit me well. This was after getting sold on some bull**** mountain bike shoes from Bontrager that were $150. Thanks local bicycle shop for totally steering me wrong - glad I got it sorted out with Amazon.
Old 04-07-16, 01:28 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Barefoot.. free, not foot deforming, nice and cool feet
Old 04-08-16, 06:34 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How about wide cycling shoes that dont cost and arm and a leg?
I don't think those exist. But I see a lot of wide footed bent riders using Nashbar Ragsters (cycling Sandals). I tried them, but ended up getting a used pair that were slightly too big.

The other day I modified them for a mid-sole cleat position due to trying to recover from a food surgery.
Old 04-08-16, 07:51 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I have a moderately wide forefoot, enough to cause pain with with non-wide shoes, and I have found Shimano's shoes, especially the touring last (if I recall correctly). Their top size is a 48, which is just the right size for my size 13US feet. Much less expensive than the Lake wides, although I would love one of their winter shoes for the commute.
Old 04-14-16, 08:40 AM
Yendor72

I wanted to update this: I received my shoes yesterday, Lake MX237, and I have to say that by reaching out to them I think the size was nailed. I have not ridden with the shoe, but I realize that it is a much better fit than my current shoes. They are CF soles shoes as I like that stiff bottom but the sole does not bend up at the sides, therefore my foot can spread out a bit without running into anything. Add to that that they are leather and wider than my previous shoes and I can see how they will be great for me. The leather is soft and pliable too. Spend the money once and get the best you can. I have a total of 3 pairs of shoes over the past 3 years and these are by far the best. I can't wait to ride with them on Friday.
Likes For Yendor72:
Old 04-08-20, 01:25 PM
TVR80

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
I contacted Lake today to see what they have for me. I am in a unique situation in that I wear a 8.5 4E shoe. People with size 10+ have a much easier time finding a wide shoe. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit no matter what type it is. The dress shoes I have on are a Clark wide and they are a little too tight for me (they are not new). I am hoping I don't have to drop $1000+ for a pair of shoes that fit. I tried a few Giro shoes on last year, I could barely jam my foot into the high volume ones.

The worst part is that most shops suggest I go up a size or 2 to get more room in the toe box. The problem with that is the cleat positioning goes out the window which will cause me even more foot pain.
I have the exact same size specs. Did you ever find a cycling shoe that fit? Thanks!
Old 04-08-20, 02:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by TVR80
I have the exact same size specs. Did you ever find a cycling shoe that fit? Thanks!
Note that this thread is from 2016, so likely much has changed.

FWIW, I've used Shimano 087 mt. and road versions in wide (they are no longer made, model has changed) as well as Shimano XC7 mt shoes also in wide. The XC7's don't feel as wide as the 087's but are OK for my 46 4E feet. The Lake MXZ303 wide winter shoes I use do not run as wide as the Shimano's, IME.
Old 04-08-20, 02:52 PM
Yendor72

I ended up going with the Lake wide mountain bike shoe (I believe the MX332). I have been riding with them for a few years now and while they weren't cheap they are still in great shape and I expect to ride them for many more years. I also added the icebug slim insoles to help as well. Most days I don't have any issues. Go with something with twin BOA set ups, the ability to separate the toe box from the upper part for tightening is important. You can have it tight where it needs to be and loose in the toe box where you need room.
Old 04-08-20, 03:27 PM
TVR80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Note that this thread is from 2016, so likely much has changed.

FWIW, I've used Shimano 087 mt. and road versions in wide (they are no longer made, model has changed) as well as Shimano XC7 mt shoes also in wide. The XC7's don't feel as wide as the 087's but are OK for my 46 4E feet. The Lake MXZ303 wide winter shoes I use do not run as wide as the Shimano's, IME.
Thanks for this!
Old 04-08-20, 03:28 PM
TVR80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
I ended up going with the Lake wide mountain bike shoe (I believe the MX332). I have been riding with them for a few years now and while they weren't cheap they are still in great shape and I expect to ride them for many more years. I also added the icebug slim insoles to help as well. Most days I don't have any issues. Go with something with twin BOA set ups, the ability to separate the toe box from the upper part for tightening is important. You can have it tight where it needs to be and loose in the toe box where you need room.
Thank you. I've had my eye on the Lakes as well.
Old 04-08-20, 05:26 PM
Yendor72

Thank you. I've had my eye on the Lakes as well.
Okay, I checked when I got home
I got the MX237. I will be buying Lakes again if and when these wear out.
Old 04-09-20, 08:06 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Congratulation on the Lake shoes! I have the Lake 237 Road and MTB shoes, and also have a pair of 241 Road shoes. Absolutely the best shoe I have ever owned, and I have been riding for 38 year, from beginner to USPro. No other shoe I have ever owned compares. I'm just frustrated that I didn't know about them years ago.

Went colorful too - 241's in Skyblue, 237 road in Blue, 237 mountain in forest camo.

I guess that my profile photo is obsolete now. The Spuiks were nice but caused an awful hot-spot on the side of my foot on long (60+) mile rides and I retired them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.