Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Shimano steps display frozen?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 06:27 AM
Jordigas00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I’m having an issue with my new YT Decoy e-bike, the shimano steps display is frozen, I can’t turn bike on or off. I have disconnected the battery, plugged out the display leads. Any suggestions of what to try next?
Old 06-15-19, 09:58 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordigas00
Hi, I’m having an issue with my new YT Decoy e-bike, the shimano steps display is frozen, I can’t turn bike on or off. I have disconnected the battery, plugged out the display leads. Any suggestions of what to try next?
If you disconnected the battery then reconnected and the control module didn't reboot I'd take it back to the dealer. Could be a problem with the software or firmware within the control module. If that's so the dealer should be able to update the program or reprogram. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. BTW, that is one nice looking bike. Wish I had that kind of bucks. Anyway worst case scenario is you have a bad control module that might have to be replaced. I say that because disconnecting/reconnecting should of rebooted the module. If it's still frozen after removing power...ehh...that's not a good sign.
Old 12-09-19, 03:16 PM
Amoslee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever figure out what happened to your bike?

I'm also having the same problem with my decoy
Old 12-16-19, 12:32 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Amoslee
I'm also having the same problem with my decoy
If you noticed the person who started the thread only posted one time. They have not posted since. I would suggest you do what I told the other person to do. If you're lucky it will only be an issue where the software needs to be updated. The dealer that sold you the bike can usually do this in about 10 minutes or so.
Old 03-11-20, 12:22 PM
CEOJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did either of you guys get to the bottom of the situation? Mine has the exact same issue, really dont want to have to ship it back to Germany, especially given the current Coronavirus issue..
Cheers
Old 03-16-20, 09:20 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CEOJ
Did either of you guys get to the bottom of the situation? Mine has the exact same issue, really dont want to have to ship it back to Germany, especially given the current Coronavirus issue..
Cheers
I think the best thing to do would be to call a couple LBS near you and ask if they can reprogram a Shimano Steps module for your particular ebike. Shouldn't matter if they don't sell the same bike. They just have to download the correct Steps program from the Shimano website for your bike and then upload the new program to your module. Try a Trek dealer. That's where I bought my bike and had my module reprogramed.
Old 04-09-20, 12:33 AM
Dave1969

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CEOJ
Cheers
did you manage to fix your decoy. Having exactly same problem. The bike is bone dry and was stored inside overnight. Tried the usual contact cleaner on terminals but nothing is working. It's a very poor design as drying terminals is something I need to do after every wash
Old 04-09-20, 03:32 PM
CEOJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave1969
did you manage to fix your decoy. Having exactly same problem. The bike is bone dry and was stored inside overnight. Tried the usual contact cleaner on terminals but nothing is working. It's a very poor design as drying terminals is something I need to do after every wash
Yea I got it fixed by taking it to a Shimano steps service center where they effectively rebooted everythung. It's essentially and issue with a non-shimano battery talking to a Shimano system. Cost me 50 quid or so, much cheaper than sending back to Germany, and hasn't happened again since. HOWEVER, the mechanic who fixed it for me told me he'd been seeing me again as this issue happens a lot! Haven't contacted YT as they absolutely won't reimburse me, and having someone else work on the bike, even a steps centre, will no doubt void their warranty. Insanely frustrating.

Looking back on it, mine occured after the second time I cleaned it. could be that gravity took the water somewhere sinister.

Best of luck.

Last edited by CEOJ; 07-11-20 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For CEOJ:
Old 04-20-20, 08:05 AM
CEOJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The damn thing broke again. Washed with damp cloth, no where near a hose and it's still gone. Fuming.
Am hoping YT will refund me, for the three months I have owned this bike it has been trouble-free for about a fortnight total.
Dipped my two in direct to consumer pool and will not be doing it again.
Old 07-10-20, 10:30 PM
Ashtray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I washed my Decoy e Bike and the shimano steps display is frozen. So over this, I bought the bike through Pushys.com.au and their service is ****house to say the least. I would have been better off flushing my $9k down the toilet.
Old 07-11-20, 08:50 AM
CEOJ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ashtray
I washed my Decoy e Bike and the shimano steps display is frozen. So over this, I bought the bike through Pushys.com.au and their service is ****house to say the least. I would have been better off flushing my $9k down the toilet.
They JUST got back to me to offer £2900 as a refund on my decoy, which has done 400miles on half a dozen rides. I'm beyond appalled at this company, never ever ever buying from them again and will let as many people in my network know about it.
Old 10-02-20, 09:55 PM
Jorgeoro031

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same problem

Originally Posted by Jordigas00
I have the same problem the display is frozen !! Please help 😩