Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Long Haul Trucker, build or buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 12:12 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ok I’m looking for a long haul trucker for my daughter 54cm. Now I’m thinking new. Some lht’s are going for 1350 stock before tax. Bikemon has a price drop to 360 on Grandpas Thermos. I love that color, free ship no tax. That’s a saving of 160 dollars. I have a new handle bar here from my Cross Check that I replaced for a flat bar. Can I build the trucker with good components for a decent price? The bike is going to be used mostly as a commuter.

I’m also going through the forum checking out lht builds and pricing parts out. I’m going to head to my local bike shop to talk about my options. I’ve looked at several tires...like the Maxxis Holy Roller but what do I know. I also checked Surly’s components which I think are pretty good for a stock trucker.

I’m not a tech geek. Just an old guy that likes bikes. This is for my daughter.

chime in if you have thoughts
Old 04-22-20, 12:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
In general, it's cheapest to buy a complete bike -- unless there is (are) specific component(s) you want to change. So when I see a question like this, if you don't know what you want to change out, stock bikes are pretty darn good.

Now, if you have a garage shed full of parts (like someone I might, ahem, know...), and your time is free, build it up from the frame!
Old 04-22-20, 12:56 PM
Nordo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even with the price of $360 for the frame I bet you'll end up spending more if you build it using new parts of comparable quality.

Universal Cycles has a few complete LHTs in several sizes including 54cm Grandpas Thermos for $1146. You would have to pay shipping, but it might be worth checking it out.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=91050
Old 04-22-20, 01:18 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
If it's just a bicycle for commuting have you considered other options.

You may (ok, maybe not in the current climate) be able to find a really good used LHT or other bicycle that may not matter so much if it gets beat up or gets stolen depending on where it gets parked.

If your daughter has her heart set on a LHT then the stock parts are OK. You could get better parts building it yourself, but then it may cost more overall. My LBS thought they could build one for the same price with better components, but then lockdown happened and I never got their quote.

I currently commute on a regular alu cross road bike with rear rack mounts and drop bars, triple and road gearing. I don't have to do many big hills though so I don't need the mountain bike cassette that you need when you're loading a LHT to the max.

Last edited by JayKay3000; 04-22-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 01:56 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve been looking at used lht’s on Surly Trader, eBay and some other listings. I was going to see if I could find a decent cross check or trucker used. Found several that were cool. One sold before I could offer. One bought by local buyer who had contacted owner before me...I have a offer in on a cross check right now. One of the reasons I’m thinking new is a lot of the older bikes are going for higher prices than you would think, and when you throw in shipping-for a few hundred more bucks I might as well buy new. Seems these bike retain their values or many feel they are worth more than they are, and yes owners have added upgrades.
I’m going to checkout Universal Cycles, that seems like a reasonable option.
yes it’s mainly for a commuter and I want my daughter to have a kickass bike, even though she will keep it inside it’s a college town and many bikes get stolen. Chattanooga is a great bike town.

Sorry for the ramble. I’ll post with updates later on.
Old 04-22-20, 02:19 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nordo its me again...called Universal Cycles, 200 to ship, no pedals. I’m think I’m just going down to my local bike shop and see what I can do.
Old 04-22-20, 05:14 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Build.

Reason is very simple.

Tariffs.

There is still a 25% tariff on complete bicycles, levied by the Trump administration.
Old 04-22-20, 05:59 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Take a look at tree fort bikes. I was just browsing around on site and they have lhts with free shipping, no tax for TN. As someone probably down the parkway from you, I believe the closest surly dealer is in Nashville.

Last edited by But its me; 04-22-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 08:14 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah Tree Fort has some killer deals. I probably would have bit on the Straggler Blueberry Muffin Top but didn’t have the size Im looking for. Normally 1650, 2018 model new for 1050. They have a Long Haul Trucker for 1030 that may found a new home. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-20, 09:22 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
We have 3 LHTs in our family used primarily for touring. One daughter rides 42 cm stock trucker, another daughter rides a 50 cm which has had significant upgrades, and mine was built from the frame up. The LHT was upgraded becasue my daughter liked the way my bike was set up. We bought it used, and it was in very good shape. The upgrades included: new saddle, Tubus rack, changing from bar-end shifters to STI shifters, changing cranket to 44/42/22 which needed a new BB, new wheels and tires. It is a sweet little bike, but I could have built a new one up for about the same amount of money. However, I do have a pretty lagre collection of parts available in my shop. She is your daughter, and all daughters deserve a nice bike; just ask one

My LTH, built from the frame up, would cost a little over $2,000 if I had to buy all the parts. I used high quality parts, e.g., Paul brakes, Hand built wheels ( XT hubs, Dyad rims, and Wheelsmith DB spokes), STI shifters, fenders, Sugino Crankset, Tubus Racks, Brooks saddle, Look pedals. etc. It was worth it to me and I enjoyed doing it.

All 3 of our LHTs, mom rides a much "nicer" bike

My LHT

Last edited by Doug64; 04-23-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 07:05 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tree Fort Bikes

Bit on the Straggler Blueberry Muffin on Tree Fort Website, made the purchase only to find out this morning they were out of stock, onto the Long Haul Trucker deal, Grandpas Thermos but not in her size...1050. Finally found one today in the great state of Tennessee, my daughter is the new proud owner of a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Stock yes, she can upgrade to her liken. Excited for her. Welcome to the club.
Likes For Blueweim:
Old 04-23-20, 09:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Build.

Reason is very simple.

Tariffs.

There is still a 25% tariff on complete bicycles, levied by the Trump administration.
Explain, please.

Are you saying there is a 25% charge on top of the purchase price?...cuz thats not correct.
Old 04-24-20, 07:06 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Explain, please.

Are you saying there is a 25% charge on top of the purchase price?...cuz thats not correct.
Tariffs are absorbed by retailers and then passed on to the end consumer. So you won't see a line item saying "tariff" but it will be a part of the price. It isn't the whole amount, and there is retailler markup, but it does mean that complete bicycle prices are higher than they were a year ago before the tariff.
Old 04-24-20, 07:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Tariffs are absorbed by retailers and then passed on to the end consumer. So you won't see a line item saying "tariff" but it will be a part of the price. It isn't the whole amount, and there is retailler markup, but it does mean that complete bicycle prices are higher than they were a year ago before the tariff.
Yes, but if the total bike price with tariff added in is still less expensive than the cost of all components individually, then your reasoning makes no sense.
it was just odd to see terrified be used as the reason to build from a frame since that ignores actual prices..

Also, many companies partially or even fully absorb tariff pricing as it completely depends on market competition at the time.
Further, some bike components are affected by tariff wars over the last couple years, which further challenges your reasoning.
Old 04-24-20, 08:10 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, but if the total bike price with tariff added in is still less expensive than the cost of all components individually, then your reasoning makes no sense.
it was just odd to see terrified be used as the reason to build from a frame since that ignores actual prices..

Also, many companies partially or even fully absorb tariff pricing as it completely depends on market competition at the time.
Further, some bike components are affected by tariff wars over the last couple years, which further challenges your reasoning.
No, I'm not going to go into a line-by-line comparison of costs, But generally speaking, higher tariffs = higher costs overall, and complete bikes face the most tariffs it looks like.

My general sense looking at the market right now is that complete bikes do appear more expensive for what you get compared to a few years ago.

It is also possible, with a bit of work, to score a good deal on components.

But right now, complete bicycles are hit with a 36% tariff. It takes time to move production out of China, too, even though many of the components are made elsewhere, oftentimes final assembly is in China, just like the iphone.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...e#.XqLyGshKjiA
Old 04-24-20, 08:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
No, I'm not going to go into a line-by-line comparison of costs, But generally speaking, higher tariffs = higher costs overall, and complete bikes face the most tariffs it looks like.

My general sense looking at the market right now is that complete bikes do appear more expensive for what you get compared to a few years ago.

It is also possible, with a bit of work, to score a good deal on components.

But right now, complete bicycles are hit with a 36% tariff. It takes time to move production out of China, too, even though many of the components are made elsewhere, oftentimes final assembly is in China, just like the iphone.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...e#.XqLyGshKjiA
I’m pretty sure Surly gets their stuff from Taiwan, not China.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-24-20, 08:53 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’m pretty sure Surly gets their stuff from Taiwan, not China.

And just like how FoxConn is a Taiwanese company with Chinese factories, likely a lot of Taiwanese OEM's have their supply chain reaching into China.
Old 04-24-20, 08:56 AM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trucker

Well I found the lht bike and color I was looking for in Nashville. I was about to pull the trigger and the same bike appeared on Tree Forts website. 2018 color, new for 1030, free shipping vs Nashville 1350 before tax. I saved 455. It’s a done deal
Likes For Blueweim:
Old 04-24-20, 09:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
And just like how FoxConn is a Taiwanese company with Chinese factories, likely a lot of Taiwanese OEM's have their supply chain reaching into China.
Do have any actual evidence that Surly bikes are assembled in China and subject to the tariffs, or are you just guessing?

In any event, if you look at the cost of a new complete Surly, there is no way you are building a bike with new components for anywhere close to that price.
Old 04-24-20, 09:15 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Do have any actual evidence that Surly bikes are assembled in China and subject to the tariffs, or are you just guessing?

In any event, if you look at the cost of a new complete Surly, there is no way you are building a bike with new components for anywhere close to that price.
I'm guessing, but it is a good bet that is the case, given economic trends of the past ten years.
Old 04-24-20, 11:00 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I'm guessing, but it is a good bet that is the case, given economic trends of the past ten years.
Then stop guessing. Surly Bikes are made in Taiwan. In addition, the current price of $1350 is not bad considering in 2011 the bike was around $1275.
Old 04-24-20, 12:09 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trucker

Yeah not bad but I like the 1030 price tag even better. I’m all about local bike shops, I’ll upgrade my new ride there
Likes For Blueweim:
Old 04-25-20, 12:14 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueweim
Yeah not bad but I like the 1030 price tag even better. I’m all about local bike shops, I’ll upgrade my new ride there
Definitely. You can always find a deal. I was just quoting MSRP. I got mine in 2011 for $899, so I got a fantastic deal. Enjoy the new bike.