Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle Bike Rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Motorcycle Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 06:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Motorcycle Bike Rack

Bicycles and motorcycles have always been present in my life, it's quite possible that I have more lifetime miles logged on two wheels vs four. My childhood best friend is a machinist/fabricator who can do just about anything. When I showed him some pictures of bicycle racks adapted to motorcycles his response was "it shouldn't be that hard". As usual, he came through again and now I can tote my road bikes wherever I want to ride. I took it out last night and tested it in some gusty winds, on the highway and then some curvy roads to see if I could shake it loose; it stayed solid as a rock. During some of the strong sideways gusts on the highway I could feel it but it wasn't anything to cause concern.

The car rack was sourced from Craigslist for 40 bucks and the mount came from a motorcycle swap meet. It's quick detachable so it goes on and off pretty easy with no mods to the bike. I probably need to get some of those locking latches Harley sells so nobody can beat me out of the rack while I'm out riding. I also need to get a flag to tie on the back because I think it's state law I have something back there. After that, all that's left to do is rattle can it and plan my trip to the mountains

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-07-20, 07:49 AM
jeff10236

Bikes: Tern C8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is an incredibly cool idea.
Likes For jeff10236:
Old 05-07-20, 07:51 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
That'll work..nice job. I think the law in most states is that anything hanging out 3 feet or more behind your vehicle requires a red flag be attached.

It reminds me of a time long long ago when my brother in law and I wanted to fish a lake a few miles away from a cabin, but had no tow vehicle. (I was a kid-ish and rode to the lake rental cabin..northern MN.. with my dad and uncle..car had no hitch) Soo..what to do? My BIL rode up to the cabin on his Goldwing..and it happened to have a hitch/1 7/8" ball on it. He was game..so we hooked up the the cabin's 14 foot boat and trailer to the Goldwing and we went fishin! We got some looks going down the road..the bike handled boat towing ok-ish. We launched/loaded the boat by hand, but we did eat fish that night.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-07-20, 07:57 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
That'll work..nice job. I think the law in most states is that anything hanging out 3 feet or more behind your vehicle requires a red flag be attached.

It reminds me of a time long long ago when my brother in law and I wanted to fish a lake a few miles away from a cabin, but had no tow vehicle. (I was a kid-ish and rode to the lake rental cabin..northern MN.. with my dad and uncle..car had no hitch) Soo..what to do? My BIL rode up to the cabin on his Goldwing..and it happened to have a hitch/1 7/8" ball on it. He was game..so we hooked up the the cabin's 14 foot boat and trailer to the Goldwing and we went fishin! We got some looks going down the road..the bike handled boat towing ok-ish. We launched/loaded the boat by hand, but we did eat fish that night.
Just guessing, but with your name I’m pretty sure a lot of things remind you of a time with a fishing boat...
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-07-20, 08:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Just guessing, but with your name I’m pretty sure a lot of things remind you of a time with a fishing boat...
..didn't occur to me..but I believe you're right..there was another time...........
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-07-20, 08:24 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
That works because the Harley weighs a lot. I tried this many years ago on a Honda 350 with the bike right behind the seat. The bike was a 29 pound Fiorelli road bike. It shifted the weight off the front wheel making the front lightly loaded. It acts like a lever to move the weight far back on the bike. I wouldn't have been at all safe on a wet road. The speed limit at the time was 70 mph on narrow, twisty rural roads.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 05-07-20, 09:01 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
That works because the Harley weighs a lot. I tried this many years ago on a Honda 350 with the bike right behind the seat. The bike was a 29 pound Fiorelli road bike. It shifted the weight off the front wheel making the front lightly loaded. It acts like a lever to move the weight far back on the bike. I wouldn't have been at all safe on a wet road. The speed limit at the time was 70 mph on narrow, twisty rural roads.
That bike/rack set up doesn't hold a candle to what I've seen perched on the passenger seat of a hog
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-07-20, 10:19 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Bicycles and motorcycles have always been present in my life, it's quite possible that I have more lifetime miles logged on two wheels vs four. My childhood best friend is a machinist/fabricator who can do just about anything. When I showed him some pictures of bicycle racks adapted to motorcycles his response was "it shouldn't be that hard". As usual, he came through again and now I can tote my road bikes wherever I want to ride. I took it out last night and tested it in some gusty winds, on the highway and then some curvy roads to see if I could shake it loose; it stayed solid as a rock. During some of the strong sideways gusts on the highway I could feel it but it wasn't anything to cause concern.

The car rack was sourced from Craigslist for 40 bucks and the mount came from a motorcycle swap meet. It's quick detachable so it goes on and off pretty easy with no mods to the bike. I probably need to get some of those locking latches Harley sells so nobody can beat me out of the rack while I'm out riding. I also need to get a flag to tie on the back because I think it's state law I have something back there. After that, all that's left to do is rattle can it and plan my trip to the mountains

i wanted to do same but lack skills to do so.
found guy who made them but over $200.00

2x2 bike rack.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 05-07-20, 10:24 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i wanted to do same but lack skills to do so.
found guy who made them but over $200.00

2x2 bike rack.
That's a sweet setup!
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-07-20, 04:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
There are a few threads on bike-mounted bikes over on www.advrider.com in the Shiny Things area of the forum.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-07-20, 08:36 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I saw this BMW sidecar and Legnano rig at Eroica a few years ago.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 05-08-20, 07:28 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I saw someone with a similar rack a few years ago at registration for a century. It was also a fork-mount rack, but it was mounted vertically instead of horizontally, so it didn’t stick out nearly as far behind the bike. I don’t remember exactly what kind of motorcycle, but it was a smaller sport bike, not a big Harley.
Old 05-08-20, 09:28 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I wonder if this would make it impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground of my supermoto'd Enduro R...
Old 05-09-20, 03:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Nice job. It's been done though and is available commercially, so great minds do think alike. https://2x2cycles.com/product/moto-bicycle-rack/

They also have a vertical rack.

Old 05-09-20, 03:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
just don't pop a wheelie