Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Girl falls into cactus bushes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-09-20, 09:55 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=604318840297142
Old 05-09-20, 10:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Beware - What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
Old 05-09-20, 10:22 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Why is she dressed like a roller derby girl?

What a goofball.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-10-20, 12:16 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Good thing they were not cholla as the spines have sheath which has to come out also and it is barbed. The spine can come out and leave the sheath.
Old 05-10-20, 12:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm not going to look. There is one positive aspect to this (way down the line). There is one misfortune that will never happen to that young lady again. Or her kids, Or her grandkids.
Old 05-10-20, 05:05 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
that would SUCK, but yeah riding where they are riding and not really wearing what I would wear for that type of riding.

Still....OUCH......OUCH!
Old 05-10-20, 05:21 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Generally, I don't laugh at others misfortunes, but man that was Hilarious.
Old 05-10-20, 06:27 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
The girl was in pain. It was not hilarious.
Old 05-10-20, 07:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
ok so don't do that!
Old 05-10-20, 07:46 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Why is she dressed like a roller derby girl?

What a goofball.
Makes me think she's a skater and not so much of a biker. The way she rolled off course into an uncontrolled stop, kinda supports that thought.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-10-20, 07:47 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Did she roll out of bed and decide to go riding at that moment? I'm probably more overdressed going to bed than her in the video.
Old 05-10-20, 08:08 AM
Ross520

Originally Posted by Gconan
The girl was in pain. It was not hilarious.
Cholla cacti are really not that painful. Often times you won't even notice you have one on you until someone else else points it out.

Run into a Saguaro on the other hand, and you'll be in a world of pain.

The women in the video was being quite dramatic about the whole thing. Like I said before... Goofball.
​​​
Old 05-10-20, 08:18 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Cholla pods are much harder on my tubes ability to hold air than me, but I haven't ran into a Cholla, I've come close though.

I'm more worried about crashing into a Prickly Pear. Running into a Suguaro would be a very bad day.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-10-20 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Good thing they were not cholla as the spines have sheath which has to come out also and it is barbed. The spine can come out and leave the sheath.
Those are cholla. There are tons of different varieties of cholla. As a class, cholla look like bushes and have “branches” that break off easily.

Cholla cacti are really not that painful. Often times you won't even notice you have one on you until someone else else points it out.​​​
How much experience do you have with cholla? Here in the West we call them “jumping cactus” because of their tendency to just jump out and grab you seemingly from a distance. There’s even a kids book called “Jump!“ which is hilarious. That said, cholla spines hurt like hell. I’ve had several painful experiences with several varieties.

Run into a Saguaro on the other hand, and you'll be in a world of pain.​​​
Yes, running into a saguaro would be painful but when you pull away, the cactus isn’t coming with you to remind you of the encounter. Same with prickly pear and barrel cactus. No bits of those cactus stick with you like cholla does.

The women in the video was being quite dramatic about the whole thing. Like I said before... Goofball.
​​​
Go ahead and jump into a cholla. Roll around in it so that you get good and covered. Then report back to us on how “painless” it is. Be sure to video the hilarity that ensues.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-10-20, 09:26 AM
Ross520

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Those are cholla. There are tons of different varieties of cholla. As a class, cholla look like bushes and have “branches” that break off easily.

How much experience do you have with cholla? Here in the West we call them “jumping cactus” because of their tendency to just jump out and grab you seemingly from a distance. There’s even a kids book called “Jump!“ which is hilarious. That said, cholla spines hurt like hell. I’ve had several painful experiences with several varieties.

Yes, running into a saguaro would be painful but when you pull away, the cactus isn’t coming with you to remind you of the encounter. Same with prickly pear and barrel cactus. No bits of those cactus stick with you like cholla does.

Go ahead and jump into a cholla. Roll around in it so that you get good and covered. Then report back to us on how “painless” it is. Be sure to video the hilarity that ensues.
Arizona native, my friend, been there, done that.

You do realize that the entire point of Cholla cacti "jumping" on the you is to use you for seed transportation without you knowing it, right? That would be difficult to do if the "transporter" noticed right-away. They're not meant to be painful. It's discomfort, that's it.

And regarding Saguaro cacti, there is no cactus more painful to run into... Period. I've been COVERED in cholla before, and it wasn't nearly as painful as the time I accidentally backed into one of the Saguaros in my front yard when I was puull weeds. Chollas are more annoying than anything.
​​
Old 05-10-20, 09:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Arizona native, my friend, been there, done that.

You do realize that the entire point of Cholla cacti "jumping" on the you is to use you for seed transportation without you knowing it, right? That would be difficult to do if the "transporter" noticed right-away. They're not meant to be painful. It's discomfort, that's it.​
A Colorado native here. We aren’t unfamiliar with cholla here. I’ve also had experience with them in Arizona.

The cactus may attach to animals to get transported but the whole point is to drop off at some time in the future so as to not have to take up residence on the animal that’s is doing the transportation. They become painful enough that the animal doing the transportation will try to get rid of them as soon as possible. Being transported miles and miles away from the parent plant isn’t necessarily conducive to finding the proper growing conditions.

And it’s not the seed pods that are jumping. Seed pods are usually enticement for an animal to eat the fruit and spread the seeds through poop.

And regarding Saguaro cacti, there is no cactus more painful to run into... Period. I've been COVERED in cholla before, and it wasn't nearly as painful as the time I accidentally backed into one of the Saguaros in my front yard when I was puull weeds. Chollas are more annoying than anything.
The spines on saguaros are large but, for the most part, can be avoided. If you run over a shedded spine from a saguaro and it gets kicked up onto the rider, it’s not likely to even be noticed. I’ve had cholla spines kicked up onto me while riding and it’s like grabbing a handful of fishhooks. I never noticed it as being “painless”. Just the opposite. Hurts like hell.

I’d much rather encounter this kind of spine at speed

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

then this one

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-10-20 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-10-20, 10:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
MAN, I'm glad it was only a 150lb wild MAMA hog that ran into me 2 weeks ago tomorrow morning instead of a roaming cactus. She didn't hang around so no bacon but my cracked scapula, cracked ribs and punctured lung are reminding me of the too close of an encounter.
Old 05-10-20, 10:14 AM
Ross520

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A Colorado native here. We aren’t unfamiliar with cholla here. I’ve also had experience with them in Arizona.

The cactus may attach to animals to get transported but the whole point is to drop off at some time in the future so as to not have to take up residence on the animal that’s is doing the transportation. They become painful enough that the animal doing the transportation will try to get rid of them as soon as possible. Being transported miles and miles away from the parent plant isn’t necessarily conducive to finding the proper growing conditions.

And it’s not the seed pods that are jumping. Seed pods are usually enticement for an animal to eat the fruit and spread the seeds through poop.

The spines on saguaros are large but, for the most part, can be avoided. If you run over a shedded spine from a saguaro and it gets kicked up onto the rider, it’s not likely to even be noticed. I’ve had cholla spines kicked up onto me while riding and it’s like grabbing a handful of fishhooks. I never noticed it as being “painless”. Just the opposite. Hurts like hell.

I’d much rather encounter this kind of spine at speed

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

then this one

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr
You found the most harmless-looking Saguaro in the desert and used a far-away shot rather than the close-up you used for the cholla. Very objective.

Here's a "real" Saguaro...

Old 05-10-20, 10:34 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I'm personally more worried about the cholla when I MTB, but it's mainly because you can see saguaros from a mile away, but the chollas can be low, lurking around other stuff, and you might not notice them until it's too late. I've so far managed not to impale myself on any saguaro, but I've had some cholla experiences that were no fun. I did blow up a cholla one time with explosives during some military training out in the desert, and there was this one cholla that had encroached into the demolition training pit we were using. I thought of all the times I'd had to use a Leatherman to pull the spines out of my boots and uniform trousers, even when I'd tried to be very careful and keep an eye out for them. There's probably this fan-shaped arc of desert extending out from that demo pit now that's just crawling with cholla, lol.
Old 05-10-20, 10:39 AM
Wileyrat

Yeah, I have several Suguaros in my yard, and none of them look like that old spineless snaggletooth looking thing in the upper picture. They're all well armed to the ground, as are most of the Suguaros where I usually ride.
​​​​​
Old 05-10-20, 10:43 AM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by SethAZ
I'm personally more worried about the cholla when I MTB, but it's mainly because you can see saguaros from a mile away, but the chollas can be low, lurking around other stuff, and you might not notice them until it's too late. I've so far managed not to impale myself on any saguaro, but I've had some cholla experiences that were no fun. I did blow up a cholla one time with explosives during some military training out in the desert, and there was this one cholla that had encroached into the demolition training pit we were using. I thought of all the times I'd had to use a Leatherman to pull the spines out of my boots and uniform trousers, even when I'd tried to be very careful and keep an eye out for them. There's probably this fan-shaped arc of desert extending out from that demo pit now that's just crawling with cholla, lol.
I backed up into one working out in the desert, got an attitude deficiency over it and chopped it down with a machete.

I drove by it recently, and now it's a large cholla patch.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-10-20, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,262 Times in 7,220 Posts
Let’s not forget about the poor TdF rider who got taken out my a press vehicle and ended up entangled in barbed wire. I’m not even going to post the photos.
Old 05-10-20, 12:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Let’s not forget about the poor TdF rider who got taken out my a press vehicle and ended up entangled in barbed wire. I’m not even going to post the photos.
Gruesome to say the least.
Old 05-10-20, 02:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Prickly pear is the only cactus that grows in Indiana. Got rid of a small patch of it in our yard last year. That was fun. Nasty spiky spines. At the time, was thinking of future grand kids running around.
Old 05-10-20, 03:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Gawd that was both painful and comical to watch. I felt sorry for her - as far as being a goofball, well yeah, she is young and inexperienced, so what. She will laugh about it soon enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.