Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Plastic bearing seals for headset- which way do they go?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 05:17 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts

Will get pics as soon as I can, but I知 working on this 88 six fifteen and realized I知 not sure which direction the black plastic seals under the fork bearings and headset bearings face. They both have a ridge. Fork seems a little stiff when I try and turn it, but not so bad. I hope this makes sense before I can get some pics up. First headset I致e assembled with these.
Old 07-13-20, 08:42 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
I'm not familiar with the particular Tange headset used on the 1988 Miyata 615 but typically the orientation of the seal is with the larger diameter lip at the bottom, against the seat of the crown race or upper stack pressed race. Sometimes this lip fits just inside the cup, while other times it protrudes, sitting between the cup and crown or upper stack pressed race. Attached diagram illustrates the latter design, with the seal being the solid colour.
Likes For T-Mar: