Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Question about derailleur compatibility and options

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 06:47 AM
NolanBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! New to the forums so I'm sorry this has already been discussed in length or frequently asked, I have a 7 speed ebike with an altus derailleur, I'm looking at upgrade options and I'm not quite sure how to determine what is compatible other than making sure it's a 7 or 8 speed for chain width purposes. I'm looking at upgrading to at least Acera or Alivio, I'm pretty sure I cannot go any further than that modelwise, looking for recommendations on model numbers or anything like that if anybody has done this upgrade themselves or is familiar with Shimano group sets. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-20, 09:58 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Might be better in the Bicycle Mechanics section. AIR, seven speed is narrower than eight or nine (which can be used with the same cassette width), so unless your seven speed system has a spacer, you're stuck with seven. However, you can use any 7, 8 or 9-speed Shimano derailleur. Personally, I'm a big fan of the price/performance for Altus, so not sure you're going to see much improvement unless there's a problem with yours.