Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Combination threadless stem adapter AND riser - does it exist?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 10:33 AM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a used bike for my wife and am trying to get it set up comfortably for her. The bike is a few years old and uses a 1" threaded headset, i.e. quill stem. I need to get the bars a couple inches higher (and slightly closer), and want to use a more modern 1 1/8" stem. I know these exist:

so I know I can put a 1 1/8" stem on her bike using that adapter. What I really want is a slightly longer version so I can also raise the height of the handlebars. It's just a personal aesthetic preference, but I'd rather get that increase in height with an extra inch or two of length from the steerer tube (or adapter as it may be), than from a 45degree riser stem.

So basically I'm looking for a combination riser/threadless adapter. Does it exist? So far all I've found is this:

which at 11" tall, is way TOO tall.

Anyone know of a riser/threadless adapter that could add just a couple inches?

Thanks,

Mac
Old 05-05-10, 10:49 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.velo-orange.com/vothstad.html

This may be what you want. A bit longer but not ridiculously so.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 05-05-10, 11:52 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I would get that really tall one and cut it down. You just have to find a bolt the length you want to cut it.

You can also find adjustable threaded stems in 1" that can be set almost pointing straight up. Find one with some good length to it and a ton of adjustment and all that length becomes height.
Old 05-05-10, 12:06 PM
roberth33tiger

Bikes: '93 Performance R203, '83 Bianchi 980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one of these with your quill stem?
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=12082
Old 05-05-10, 12:20 PM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
I would get that really tall one and cut it down. You just have to find a bolt the length you want to cut it.

You can also find adjustable threaded stems in 1" that can be set almost pointing straight up. Find one with some good length to it and a ton of adjustment and all that length becomes height.
Hadn't considered the possibility of cutting one down. Wouldn't be hard, but if a shorter one is available to buy, that would be easier. I'll keep that thought in mind though.

The bike actually has an adjustable stem (1") on it now. I'm using it to get her position on the bike right, but want the permanent solution to be a longer steer tube and more horizontal stem. I just don't like the look of riser stems angled 45degrees up, personal preference.
Old 05-05-10, 12:34 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What about just using a stem with a higher rise? Like this:

They're available in different extension lengths and are common enough. Should get you where you want to go without costing much.
Old 05-05-10, 12:58 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
One advantage to a 45 degree rise stem is that the adapter and stem aren't sticking back into the rider's cockpit like a longer adapter and stem would do. And, heaven forbid, in the case of an accident a shorter riser and 45 stem isn't going to have as sharp and as exposed a pressure point on the rider's body in the event of an impact with the joint of the stem and adapter.

You say you'd prefer the longer adapter and flatter stem from an aesthetic standpoint. That's fine, you obviously like the classic look of the 7 shaped stems of old. But consider that with the extra rise your wife wants and the rather kludgey look of an adapter and threadless stem the "look" will be a clumsy one compared to the svelte look of the old 7 stems. And add on the protrusion of the raised stem into the rider's space and possible impact issues and the shorter adapter and 45 degree riser stem suddenly becomes a lot more "attractive".
Old 05-10-10, 02:49 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Velo-Orange has an adapter that is in-between. (velo-orange.com)