Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

transsexuals in UK cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

transsexuals in UK cycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 06:18 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
This will be settled in British Courts in accordance with Brit law and custom (and maybe the EU breathing down their neck). There isn't anything we can do. We have seperate mens and womens races for a simple reason. ALlowing a man to compete violates the spirit of that, if not the letter. However, it often takes a disaster before things change; and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a guy unfairly dominating a women's sport to bring about the neccesary reform.
Old 09-01-04, 06:28 AM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by late
This will be settled in British Courts in accordance with Brit law and custom (and maybe the EU breathing down their neck). There isn't anything we can do. We have seperate mens and womens races for a simple reason. ALlowing a man to compete violates the spirit of that, if not the letter. However, it often takes a disaster before things change; and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a guy unfairly dominating a women's sport to bring about the neccesary reform.

I believe the transexual won the championship the year she (formly he) participated. Can anyone remember if there was alot of stink about it in Canada?

I believe I should clarify what I said : once a plaintiff files a suit, it is impossible to extricate yourself without a lawyer's help. The days of going to a King Solomon are over. Even simple arbritration requires a lawyer who can put forth the argument in a legally correct way rather than appealing to the Judge's sense of justice or common sense. I don't believe there is a way avoid a legal battle without lawyers with the exception of small claims court here in America once a suit has been filed. I may be wrong in the UK.

https://www.pnhp.org/
Old 09-01-04, 06:59 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think this is a troll post. A transexual-rights group mentions this on their website:

Originally Posted by https://www.pfc.org.uk/gr-bill/grb-lgc2.htm
This is particularly relevant and important in the context of a case which is before a Manchester employment tribunal at the present time; namely, Claire Ashton v Philip Heaton, a secretary of Cycling Time Trials. The relevance of that is the weight that the employment tribunal placed on our proceedings in this House vis-à-vis that hearing. Just a few weeks ago, Claire Ashton requested that the tribunal postpone the further hearing of the case pending the passing of the Bill that we are considering into law. That would allow Cycling Time Trials time to consider the relationship between its rules and regulations—which it recognises will have to change—and the new law. Claire Ashton
and

Originally Posted by https://www.pfc.org.uk/campaign/people/members.htm
CA is 51 years old and owns and drives a black cab for a living in a large market town. Most of her work is based around contracts for wheelchair users and adults with special needs for the local county council. Some years ago she was a police officer but was forced to retire early when her transsexuality became known to senior officers. She was fortunate in that all of her family supported her through those difficult times and she was able to keep her housing. Unwilling to face rejection in the employment market place, the easier option was taken and she became self employed running her taxi.

About two years ago she began cycling, riding with a local touring club and then onto long distance events. A few months ago she began to ride in time trials but ran into difficulties when Cycling Time Trials, the national regulatory body, were told of her past history. They then effectively banned her from entering further women's events unless she submitted to a humiliating medical examination. She is currently in the early stages of taking legal action to confront the discrimination she has suffered. This, she feels, would not be necessary once legislation is put in place from Parliament.
Links: https://www.pfc.org.uk/campaign/people/members.htm and https://www.pfc.org.uk/gr-bill/grb-lgc2.htm

But it does look like sporting bodies are exempt from the law that became law in July. You can do a google search with the terms "Gender Recognition Bill sporting bodies exemption"

Last edited by Daily Commute; 09-01-04 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-01-04, 07:19 AM
lsits
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colin
We need to rid our sport of this individual.
Give "Fat Tony" a call. I think he lives in Newark New Jersey. He might be able to "help" you with your "problem". Tell him "Cousin Jimmy" sent you.
Old 09-02-04, 02:09 AM
Colin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NZLcyclist
membership agreements here (or race agreements) specify that a competitor cannot lay charges against the organisers for any reason. Full Stop. End of story.

Thank you for this postive post. However, I suspect that various bits of legislation on Human Rights, Sexual Discrimination etc might well be viewed by a UK court as overuling the membership rules.

The "out of court settlement" our governing body came to last week was covered by a "gagging" order so I, not being party to it, don't have any details of it. I think that under UK law this means I, and many others no longer need to keep quiet about the potential costs to our sport.

Last edited by Colin; 09-02-04 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 04:32 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for this postive post. However, I suspect that various bits of legislation on Human Rights, Sexual Discrimination etc might well be viewed by a UK court as overuling the membership rules.
It is a good idea, but partly for the reasons you list, arbitration agreements are not for amateurs. Your group needs to fork over a few more pounds (OK, maybe more than a few) to pay a lawyer for something that has a better chance of being enforceable.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 09-02-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 08:18 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a lawyer, so I can only tell you what I might do in your place.

I would definitely try to avoid litigation as is is unproductive and expensive.

Since this is a time trial, everyone is racing the clock anyway, not each each other. You could just allow this person to register as a female and be done with it. This would be my first choice.

My second choice would be to create a transgender class containing (m/f, and f/m) entrants. This is mostly an administrative matter and shouldn't affect the racing or the awards too much. It would be very much like what you currently do for age groups.

There is also a third choice. You could eliminate classes altogether and report the results without regard to gender. You may want to keep age groups, or not. This would make it a completely "open" event, at least in terms of formalities.

I don't really see how this person is "damaging the sport" (whatever that is). She is asking for an administrative accomodation you are unwilling to make, and is being stubborn about it. Being equally stubborn won't solve your problem. If you don't resist as much, she won't have so much to fight about.

FWIW

Dan

Last edited by DanFromDetroit; 09-02-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 09:45 AM
temp1

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you elaborate on how this trany is damaging our sport if she is not dominating the born women? Perhaps your fighting her (which does appear biggoted) is what will really damage our sport.
Old 09-02-04, 09:47 AM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does he/she still have a penis? If so, it's a man and therefore should not be competing with women unless it is a coed competitiion.
Old 09-02-04, 09:51 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Stor Mand
Does he/she still have a penis? If so, it's a man and therefore should not be competing with women unless it is a coed competitiion.

If you get your penis blown off by a land mine, are you a woman?
Old 09-02-04, 09:52 AM
temp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go further and say its the XY chromasome combo that should be the final word in determining maleness.
Old 09-02-04, 09:55 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by temp1
I would go further and say its the XY chromasome combo that should be the final word in determining maleness.
logically and absolutely
Old 09-02-04, 10:09 AM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's say that I think I am a dog and decide to get an operation to have doggy ears, nose, tail and fur added to me .. am I a dog or just a crazy person?

Yes, I agree.

Originally Posted by FXjohn
If you get your penis blown off by a land mine, are you a woman?
Totally different situation and I think you know that.
Old 09-02-04, 10:11 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbhungry
I believe the transexual won the championship the year she (formly he) participated. Can anyone remember if there was alot of stink about it in Canada?
Lots and lots. She essentially dominated the nationals and in her first set of world placed well (didn't win I don't believe) We had many women quit and protest saying it wasn't fair.

All that said. 2 seasons of racing and nothing stopping her in the 3rd. There has been no legal battle that has won or any protest heard
Old 09-02-04, 10:58 AM
Xtrmyorick

Bikes: Torelli Titanio with full Chorus and Eurus wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 09-02-04, 10:01 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The "out of court settlement" our governing body came to last week was covered by a "gagging" order so I, not being party to it, don't have any details of it. I think that under UK law this means I, and many others no longer need to keep quiet about the potential costs to our sport.
Oh dear, your really are deeply ensconced in a bargeload of applesauce, aren't you? If the out-of-court settlement has a gagging order, it means the agreement and the costs, etc cannot be discussed other than in a court. What you are doing by discussing it here might be endangering that settlement and opening the way for more litigation and cost, especially if you are associated with the time trials association even simply as a member (which does makes you a party to it).

Do what you have been advised already... get some independent, British legal advice of your own, and don't discuss it further here until you do.
Old 09-03-04, 08:45 AM
Colin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"She" has raced and nobody wants to stop "her". Whether "she" will race next season is debateable considering how public opinion has turned against "her" this last week. Maybe "she" will move on to another sport having scrutinised their rules and balance sheets to decide on an easy target.

Last edited by Colin; 09-03-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 08:49 AM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"She" has raced and noboby wants to stop "her". Whether "she" will race next season is debateable considering how public opinion has turned against "her" this last week. Maybe "she" will move on to another sport having scrutinised their rules and balance sheets to decide on an easy target.
Curious on why the she words are in quotes? Also, is it a guy with boobs and hormone shots or has he had his "man parts" tucked in?
Old 09-03-04, 09:28 AM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious on why the she words are in quotes? Also, is it a guy with boobs and hormone shots or has he had his "man parts" tucked in?
Can't imagine that would make for a comfortable ride.
Old 09-03-04, 09:39 AM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Curious...has he had his "man parts" tucked in?
Would definitely eliminate the risk of torsion of the testicle.

Old 09-03-04, 11:40 AM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don d.
Would definitely eliminate the risk of torsion of the testicle.
Torsion is never good when testicles are involved.
Old 09-03-04, 12:43 PM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts

unless you have complete androgen insensitivity (xy chromosome) wich are men who have no testosterone receptors so these men develop in every way like women except for invagniated testicles. Their testosterone cannot act in any way, shape or form as testosterone, instead it produces very striking females since the extra testosterone cross reacts with estrogen receptors and produce very bodacious females....a famous actress has this. These men should be allowed to participate as women since they have no functional testosterone and have no advantages there. (In fact their invaginated testicles have been removed by puberty age to avoid testicular carcinoma.)

https://www.pnhp.org/
Old 09-03-04, 12:51 PM
temp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unless you have complete androgen insensitivity (xy chromosome) wich are men who have no testosterone receptors so these men develop in every way like women except for invagniated testicles. Their testosterone cannot act in any way, shape or form as testosterone, instead it produces very striking females since the extra testosterone cross reacts with estrogen receptors and produce very bodacious females....a famous actress has this. These men should be allowed to participate as women since they have no functional testosterone and have no advantages there. (In fact their invaginated testicles have been removed by puberty age to avoid testicular carcinoma.)

Just when you think something in life is black and white...

BTW you always have the most fascinating posts.
Old 09-05-04, 05:58 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
alright...which actress? i'm really curious.

anyway, on topic:

i think that the reason that men and women are seperated in atheltic competition is that in 99.99% of athletic activities, men are better. lets look at it this way, what happens when you take steriods? I'm oversimplifying, but it causes you to produce testosterone, which men naturally have more of. so in effect, this trans that goes from male to female has been "doping" with testosterone since birth, and therefore has un unfair advantage in the sport.
Old 09-05-04, 06:08 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
alright...which actress? i'm really curious.

anyway, on topic:

i think that the reason that men and women are seperated in atheltic competition is that in 99.99% of athletic activities, men are better. lets look at it this way, what happens when you take steriods? I'm oversimplifying, but it causes you to produce testosterone, which men naturally have more of. so in effect, this trans that goes from male to female has been "doping" with testosterone since birth, and therefore has un unfair advantage in the sport.
In the competitions that I run [shooting] I seperate as many classes as I can so I can give out the most awards. BTW Weoman usually can out shoot the guys.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.