Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure Meds

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Blood Pressure Meds

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 08:16 AM
Deighvid

Bikes: Lightspeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blood Pressure Meds

I saw an earlier question on this, but would like to raise it again. I'm 53 years old and I've been riding for 30 years. Developed mild high blood pressure (153/95) and have been put on two meds: lisinopril 30 mg and atenolol 25 mg. They seem to be working too well, as my BP dropped to 95-100/55. My resting heart rate is also quite low, around 47. I unilaterally cut the lisinopril dosage in half, and that pushed my BP up to anywhere from 115-125/70-75. Resting heart rate is the same, however. I can get it to average 135 when running, but not with biking: only around 110 average with a high of 130. Before meds I was able to average around 130 and stay with my club members at average speed of 18-19. Now I am lucky to average 17. Is this acceptable in terms of cardiovacular exercise? Anyone else coping with this problem?
Old 08-20-04, 09:07 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I am also dealing with mild high BP. Very similar number to yours. Did you try other meds before the ones you are on now? My doctor first put me on one drug which didn't seem to work but now has me on Hyzaar which is working great. Other than frequent urination I don't see any other side effects. The explaination I was given is that Hyzaar helps remove sodium from the body through the urin (thus the frequent BR trips especially when I intake a lot of sodium.) You may want to ask your Dr. about Hyzaar. Honestly I am not a Dr. so please consult your physician, just another sufferer.
Old 08-20-04, 09:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Is your physician aware that you exercise?

I have hypertension, and have told my doc that no way am I going to go on a beta blocker, unless no other drug worked. (I have o clue whether or not your drugs are beta blockers).

I am having good luck using:

1. Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic)
2. Cozaar or Diovan (used both, but not at same time)

There are many BP meds. Try some others.
Old 08-20-04, 01:57 PM
JBBOOKS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HCTZ 10mg alone did it for me. From 150+/90 down to about 127/78.

I felt no effects from the meds and it didn't bother my cycling at all. I think if I lose some more weight it will come down the rest of the way on it's own.

Good luck and work through it with your Dr.
Old 08-20-04, 06:59 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also Pressure Meds, in addition to an Aspirin a day I also take 5MG Bioprolol Fumarate, 2MG Doxazosin Mesylate and 300 MG Avapro. Yes!, I have extreme High Blood Pressure. Thats what 30 years plus in the Employee Benefits does to you. On the meds maybe 130 to 140 over 90, off the meds 220 or better over 130. And you ask why I took up cycling.

I took Hyzaar for about two days, could not take all the trips to the bathroom. The doctor put me on Cozaar, same as Hyzaar without the water pill effect.

I am no doctor, but if you have not spoken to your doctor about your cycling you are asking for trouble. I know you've been told to excerise but you should find out with what if any limitations. Additionally, ask whether you should be taking your meds before or after a ride. It may sound stupid but you are sweating profusly and your meds may have an effect.

Doc says if I lose weight, did not say how much, not only will it help with everything else, but he can consider cutting back on the meds, heres hoping.
Old 08-20-04, 07:09 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I took Hyzaar for about two days, could not take all the trips to the bathroom. The doctor put me on Cozaar, same as Hyzaar without the water pill effect.
Originally Posted by JBBOOKS
HCTZ 10mg alone did it for me. From 150+/90 down to about 127/78.
My current doc does not believe in meds like Hyzaar, with two different meds in one pill, and neither do I.

That way you have some control over the different side effects of the two meds. I can take my diuretic 1st thingin the am, so I sleep at night, and take the Cozaar at another time, if I desire.

Incidentally, your body does get used to the diuretic, and it is not quite so bad.

Previous doc prescribed one of those multiple medicine pills and it drove me nuts. I never pee'd so much in one day in my life!

I used to control with HCTZ only, but no more. However, I do keep it about 132/78 now.
Old 08-20-04, 07:41 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first was diagnosed with HBP the doc put me on Cozaar, as the pressure increased so did the dosage, then came the Hyzaar, then back to Cozaar. Finally, the Avapro and eventually the rest. Even tried a Beta Blocker, it worked great but I started to develope a cough, one of the possible side effects so he took me off.

Been the whole testing route, Stress Tests, Nuclear Stress Test, Heart Cat Scan, a battery of Lab Tests including Heart Enzyme (determines if you've had a heart attack). It took the birth of my first grandchild and then three years for me to get off my big fat butt.

I guess like smoking no matter how much people tell you to do something you have to be ready, I'm just glad my time has finally come.
Old 08-21-04, 05:51 AM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts
The beta blocker atenolol suppresses the heart rate response to excercise and can affect your excercise preformance. However, it is the better one of all the beta blockers for athletes but it can still impair aerobic preformance. It is a great one for those athletes who lift weights alot. Here is a link describing the benefits, risks of different bp meds in athletes https://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/.../macknight.htm https://www.jhbmc.jhu.edu/healthcarenews02/02032603.html
https://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...act/149/7/1551 (This one showed how atenolol affected excercise endurance vs. another bp medicine>)
You need to bring this up with your doc. The atenolol blocks the sinus atrial node that fires and paces the heart in response to adrenaline and exertion. It's not a favorite of mine for athletes. He may want to go up on the lisinopril (ACE inhibitor a close cousin to cozaar, hyzaar which have ARB inhibitors and act on the angiotension pathway.)

Of course, all the above studies were done in healthy hypertensive subjects. Beta blockers actually improve excercise performance in those with congestive heart failure and known coronary disease rather than being a detrimental force in healthy athletes.

https://www.pnhp.org/

Last edited by cbhungry; 08-21-04 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 10:09 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cbhungry,

Thanks for the links and the advice. I have already spoken with the doctor. He is aware of my cycling and so far has no problems as long as I continue to take the meds.

Did 18 miles in 1:35 (average 11.38 mph) today, longest I've gone. Got off the EZ Sport without a pain and hardly sucking wind. Been building up little by little, I think it's starting to have positive effects, we'll see.
Old 08-21-04, 08:15 PM
Deighvid

Bikes: Lightspeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for the articles in your reply. I have spoken with both my PCP and cardiologist re: use of beta blocker (atenolol) and ACE inhibitor (lisinopril) and they both understand the side effects, particulalry with exercise, regarding their use. We agreed that I would cut my lisinopril dose from 30 to 20 mg and maintain the atenolol at 25 mg per day. I went riding with the local club this morning right about two hours after taking the meds, and managed to average close to 16 mph over 45 miles while maintaining a conversation. This included some reasonable hills. So I guess I can live with this, at least for now. In the meantime, my docs are conferring on this, including referring me to someone who has more direct experience with BP and high level exercise. If you or anyone knows of someone in the Boston area,(and you'd think someone would have such experience in this medical mecca), let me know. I'll also send those articles to my docs; hopefully it will help with their decision making. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-04, 01:24 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normal weight will help!

I have pre-hypertension, hypertension runs in the family, relatives have died of stroke (120/80 mostly, spikes up to 150/100), at my urging the doc put me just the tiniest dose, 2.5 mg of lisonopril (Zestril), which brings me back to 100/70, perfect.

I am normal weight, so I think that help just that little amount of med do it's trick. Dose is so low, no side effects, and just one drug. I'm pleased.

Originally Posted by Bop Bop
Doc says if I lose weight, did not say how much, not only will it help with everything else, but he can consider cutting back on the meds, heres hoping.
Old 10-25-04, 04:17 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peter,

Take it from a long time Blood Pressure Meds user, listen to what the doctor says, watch what you eat and get some excerise. I've been taken BP Meds for about 15 years, wish I had been riding that long, chances are I'd be off the meds.
Old 10-27-04, 06:29 AM
Rob944

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone on Norvasc or use any supplements that help? I am borderline and have been avoiding the meds hoping to find something to treat the problem and not just the sypmtoms. My problem is the elasticity of my vessels, they dont dilate like they should. I started taking CO Q10 just recently but no improvement yet. Thinking about L Arginine.

By the way, I am normal weight, dont smoke and ride as much as possible.

Last edited by Rob944; 10-27-04 at 06:31 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-10-04, 07:52 PM
jarhead#42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont trust any pharmicutical .. Its to profit motivated.. Im sure if you used google you could find a natural way to lower your BP .. I refuse to take any meds except for one pill a day for epilepsy.. actually the dr wants me to take about 8 pills a day.. I can ride 100 miles when ever the weather e permits.. I dont need pills
peace
Jar
Old 11-10-04, 10:36 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jarhead#42
I dont trust any pharmicutical .. Its to profit motivated.. Im sure if you used google you could find a natural way to lower your BP .. I refuse to take any meds except for one pill a day for epilepsy.. actually the dr wants me to take about 8 pills a day.. I can ride 100 miles when ever the weather e permits.. I dont need pills
peace
Jar
Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to reject all medications simply because the manufacturers do so for profit. High blood pressure kills - even when there are no other symptoms. Besides, bikes are made by companies that are profit motivated. Farmers are also motivated by profit. Come to think of it, there is very little manufactured and sold that is not done with the goal of making a profit.
Old 11-11-04, 03:36 PM
jarhead#42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike companys make a profit .. yes.. but not on keeping you addicted to a chemical cocktail of poisens .. I know what I know.... If people in the medical profession were concerned about your health .. then they would keep a close eye on the endocrine system.. but they dont.. they just take the kickbacks from the pharms and feed you pills that willl cause more harm to your endocrine system.... Like I said.. theyre are natural ways without side effects to keep you BP in check ... Everyone over 40.. should be on rHGH.. everyone over 65 should be using EPO .. But .. try and get a dr too doi this It aint gonna happen .. You have to think outside the box before you swallow a pill is all Im saying
Old 11-15-04, 10:43 AM
mtnmunch

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob944
Anyone on Norvasc or use any supplements that help? I am borderline and have been avoiding the meds hoping to find something to treat the problem and not just the sypmtoms. My problem is the elasticity of my vessels, they dont dilate like they should. I started taking CO Q10 just recently but no improvement yet. Thinking about L Arginine.

By the way, I am normal weight, dont smoke and ride as much as possible.
I was on Norvasc, and then on Micardis. I was on Micardis but it made me pee all the time, and because I don't generally get enough liquids in to begin my muscles would cramp up.

I'm now seeing a cardiologist/internal medicine doc, my bp is 150/110, and just went on Diovan, so far no side effects. I've been out riding twice since being on it, and haven't noticed any effects from the medicine.

I had seen previously a traditional chinese doctor and a naturopath, both of the treatments they had me doing worked very well for lowering blood pressure while using herbs and such. BUT neither are covered by my insurance and putting out 80-160.00 every other week hurts when your budget is very tiny.