Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How are your brake levers configured?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 08:05 PM
asforme

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc with slicks until I get a road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading Sheldon Browns article on breaking and learning to use the front break properly I decided to follow in his footsteps and change the front break to the right hand and the rear to the left.

The theory that seems most probable to me is that these national standards arose from a concern that the cyclist be able to make hand signals, and still be able to reach the primary brake. This logical idea is, unfortunately, accompanied by the incorrect premise that the rear brake is the primary brake.
For this reason, I set my own bikes up so that the right hand controls the front brake, which is not the norm in the U.S.
However I was in such a rush to follow in his footsteps that I forgot what I had read earlier in the article:
Jobst Brandt has a quite plausible theory that the typical "over-the-bars" crash is caused, not so much by braking too hard, but by braking hard without using the rider's arms to brace against the deceleration
Now after a week of riding like this and many scary situations in the road I'm switching it back. Signaling with my left hand and attempting to brake with my right, I forgot that to brake with the front brake I needed both hands to brace myself. While the front brake is the primary brake for effective stopping, the rear brake is the only brake safe to use one handed.

Has anyone else tried switching brake positions? Did you keep it that way or switch back?
Old 08-19-10, 08:08 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by asforme
While the front brake is the primary brake for effective stopping,
Yes

the rear brake is the only brake safe to use one handed.
No, not necessarily.
Old 08-19-10, 08:11 PM
asforme

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc with slicks until I get a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
No, not necessarily.
How do you do it? I would love to have the stopping power of the front brake one handed without my upper body being thrown forward or inadvertently steering left because I'm attempting to brace myself with only my right arm.
Old 08-19-10, 08:30 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also fascinated by those comments by Sheldon. I'm too much of a novice to try it, however. I usually use both brakes and usually don't even think about which hand is doing the front and my back tire often locks up at the very end of a stop. I'm learning, but it takes time for it to become instinctive. I absolutely love how powerful modern brakes are - more than one finger on the brake requires being very careful. Hopefully there will be other responses.
Old 08-19-10, 08:39 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I built up my bike last year I set it up with right hand front brake. It was the natural way for me after riding a motorcycle for many years. I haven't had any problems. It is also a bit safer when I have a water bottle in my right hand while pacelining, any need to touch the brakes (although infrequent) will have me using the rear brake and avoiding anything too scary.

Mark
Old 08-19-10, 08:42 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't break "brake."
Old 08-19-10, 08:55 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How do you do it? I would love to have the stopping power of the front brake one handed without my upper body being thrown forward or inadvertently steering left because I'm attempting to brace myself with only my right arm.
Scoot back on your saddle to get more of your weight over the rear wheel and gently apply pressure to the brake lever. I drink and eat with my right hand, so braking with only the left is something that I have to do from time to time. It's not that difficult.
Old 08-19-10, 09:21 PM
andrewluke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fast stop with good brakes is not exactly safe one-handed. General easy braking, yes, but if I hit my 6700 front brake hard, all the weight shifted to the one arm would make the bars jerk sideways
Old 08-19-10, 09:22 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ive got my brakes set up traditionally and use my front MUCH more than the rear. one handed braking has never been an issue. (though i wouldnt want to panic stop one handed)

practicing your balance will help a lot. ive found the control i have gained from good balance has been hugely beneficial to my riding and has made longer rides more enjoyable. eating, drinking, and even taking pictures at speed becomes very easy. (track standing is nice as well)
Old 08-19-10, 09:33 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Varies widely with the bike. My semi-'bent has a 20" front wheel; yes, it def. does more of the braking than the rear, but when I'm rear-loaded (heavy panniers), or it's raining, and I grab only the front brake, even moderately, and try to steer at the same time, the front wheel locks up and skids. No endo risk with a semi-'bent, but the momentary loss of steering control is . So yeah, I'll stick with the right lever pulling the rear brake, thanks.
Old 08-19-10, 11:26 PM
pigmode
works for truffles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either brake positioning is valid--you get used to it. Its called adaptation.