Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SPD pedal recomendations?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 11:55 AM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

why hello there...

i have a build i plan on entering the world of clipless with....
also a build i plan on entering the world of track riding (ie velodrome) with...
albeit still a good amount of time on the road.

Now if you dont mind, i would like to pick people's brains:

So i would like clipless pedals and shoes (obviously).
I am very much leaning towards Mission Workshop Rondel shoes...because i would be riding my bike to work and look-wise they are work appropriate.

i do not want to have to change shoes for various reasons (ie, buy dedicated clipless shoes to ride in, then change into normal shoes).
Reason=(i do not carry a bag to work, nor do i want to just to change into normal shoes...and if i left shoes here at work to change into then i would have to either bring normal shoes with me in a bag if i go out to lunch or walk around in clipless shoes.....ALSO, i go to spin classes with my GF and they have clipless SPD pedals, which i would use these for. BUT We do more exercises after spin class so i dont want to have to carry extra shoes around with me, change shoes after class to be able to walk around at the gym to various exercise machines.)

That being said, what are some recommendations for mostly road but some track SPD pedals?

Thanks
Old 03-29-11, 12:05 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Campus Pedals!

You can ride SPD at the track and flip em over and ride to work in your dress shoes or work boots, or stripper heels or whatever footwear is appropriate for your line of work.
Old 03-29-11, 12:14 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
If you plan to train and race on the track you should get some dedicated bike shoes+road pedals . Anyway you already started the other thread about shoes https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ess-shoe-thrad and there have been millions of threads on pedals. Shimano 520s look to be recommended often and they're fairly cheap

Last edited by hairnet; 03-29-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 12:18 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan

Campus Pedals!

You can ride SPD at the track and flip em over and ride to work in your dress shoes or work boots, or stripper heels or whatever footwear is appropriate for your line of work.
When I was riding the Aurora, I had similar pedals by shimano (m324). I hated them. It's a huge pain to get them flipped to the right side while on the move. Not to mention my saddle height is different for clipless shoes and regular shoes for some reason, so the flat side never fit right, and I wasn't going to move my saddle all the time.. I switched them out for M540 double sided and was way happier.

I don't think i'd want to walk around all day in any clipless shoes though. They soles are just too stiff for all day comfort.

I use SPD-SL Ultregra pedals on my roadie and just straps/toe clips on my fixed. I leave extra shoes at work, but if I go somewhere and don't want to carry spare shoes, i'll ride my fixie.

Last edited by bhop; 03-29-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 12:28 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairnet
If you plan to train and race on the track you should get some dedicated bike shoes+road pedals . Anyway you already started the other thread about shoes https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ess-shoe-thrad and there have been millions of threads on pedals. Shimano 520s look to be recommended often and they're fairly cheap
i dont necesarilly plan to "train and race on the track"....moreso make a monthly trip there with friends (its quite far at the moment). i was thinking its not so horrible to use rondels for monthly weekend trips to the track. maybe if i end up moving closer to the track in the near future, i would definitely get something more dedicated.

sorry for the multiple threads....
i will check out the shimano 520s for sure....actually saw them doing a cursory google search and, albeit superficial, like the looks of them ;p
if they are good and relatively cheap i think i found what i need, thanks!
Old 03-29-11, 12:31 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
i dont necesarilly plan to "train and race on the track"....moreso make a monthly trip there with friends (its quite far at the moment). i was thinking its not so horrible to use rondels for monthly weekend trips to the track. maybe if i end up moving closer to the track in the near future, i would definitely get something more dedicated.

sorry for the multiple threads....
i will check out the shimano 520s for sure....actually saw them doing a cursory google search and, albeit superficial, like the looks of them ;p
if they are good and relatively cheap i think i found what i need, thanks!
520s are good.
Old 03-29-11, 12:31 PM
illdthedj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhop
I don't think i'd want to walk around all day in any clipless shoes though. They soles are just too stiff for all day comfort.
i wouldn't be doing too much walking around in rondels, just to the printer from my office a few times and to the meeting room every so often.
Old 03-29-11, 12:35 PM
illdthedj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry, one last question:

i see there are shimano m520, and A520...

im guessing they are the same but the A520 has a bit of a platform. any reason to go with one over the other?
Old 03-29-11, 12:48 PM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had M520s for a while, before the A520 came out. It's a great basic stomp and go pedal. But after a year or so I switched to Eggbeaters. Some free float on the pedals and the cleats grind less when you're walking on pavement.
Old 03-29-11, 12:51 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

it's up to you if you want the double sided pedal. It seems you would like the ability to ride it like a platform more easily that other SPD pedals
Old 03-29-11, 03:28 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
time ATAC
Old 03-29-11, 05:56 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retem
time ATAC
that took a little longer than i expected.

α
Old 03-29-11, 06:23 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

I wouldn't recommend the Time pedals as first clipless pedals because the cleats are harder to adjust than SPDs since they have those 4 big teeth that gouge into your shoe. SPDs are more user friendly for figuring out how to set up cleats. Once you have that figured out and are used to clipless then you can try moving to different pedals. I like my Time ATACs a lot but I know how my cleats need to be after tons of adjustment with my old SPDs.

Last edited by hairnet; 03-29-11 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 07:44 PM
sgb_3

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Double, 2010 Schwinn Madison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my 3rd set of m520s today (3 different bikes.) I got them when I first started riding clipless because a lot of reviews said they were easy to use for first timers, and I would agree with that.

I considered looking at other pedals this time around, but in the end it's hard to beat the 520s for the price. They are cheap, so if you end up wanting to change them after a while you won't be out too much. They are double sided, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a platform that clips in to them so you can ride one side with regular shoes if you want to go somewhere without your bike shoes.