Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The "What don't you like about my bike" thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The "What don't you like about my bike" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 09:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by vw addict
Wow, you should throw your leg over more bikes.
I've had quite a few. I reckon the one that came closest to my love for the IBOC was my old 1992 Bianchi Grizzly and that one cost almost double what my IBOC did.

Dream MTB - Ritchey P-21, 22 or 23. I've ridden a P-22 and P-23. Both superb. I don't count them in the "production" category, though. I know it's a cheesy descriptor, but the best I can come up with. Maybe I should just say sub-$1500 Hardtail ???

Oh, Trek 990s from the early 90s came really close too, but not quite as nice handling as the 'goose.

EDIT: There is one hardtail I'm dying to try and that's the Vassago Bandersnatch. It ain't exactly mainstream either but sure looks nice to me. Can you tell I love the CrMo?

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 04-03-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 09:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Clif
Newer doesn't equal better. Frame fit and geo could be perfect for him and his needs.
Yeah, there's something about it for sure. The head angle is steeper than that of my Pinarello. It can be a bit of a handful on rough descents as a result, but I love the way it handles everything else so much that the hairy descents don't put me off it.
Old 04-04-11, 10:15 AM
devalious

Bikes: Bianchi Concept 05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still in progress...

Old 04-04-11, 10:25 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've had quite a few. I reckon the one that came closest to my love for the IBOC was my old 1992 Bianchi Grizzly and that one cost almost double what my IBOC did.
Well in my short experience on a friends IBOC back a long long time agao I wasn't impressed. I did love my old Klein Adroit, a real Klein, and I still love my Schwinn Homegrown, I guess technically a Yeti. If I had to ride steel it would probably be a Rocky Mountain Blizzard that has since been passed on to a friend, at least if it has to be a "production" frame.
Old 04-04-11, 10:36 AM
longjohns
Noob.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by devalious
Still in progress...

a little tall on you? get some brakes on that single speed.
Old 04-04-11, 10:42 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

<snippage of all Alu talk> If I had to ride steel it would probably be a Rocky Mountain Blizzard that has since been passed on to a friend, at least if it has to be a "production" frame.
I LOVE the Blizzard too. MSRP in 1996 : $1800. More than double the IBOC. I think it may have shared the same tubeset as the IBOC Zero-G (Tange Prestige Superlight MTB).
Old 04-04-11, 11:48 AM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by longjohns
I think a chain is a bigger priority. I recall him saying he won't be using that rear wheel.
Old 04-04-11, 11:59 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can we move that Mongoose to the jackass thread? Biopace fixed?
That Mongoose is cool beans. Just needs a front brake, some rings taken off and some fatter tires IMO. Personally, I'd go SS for a mountain/trail bike. Biopace works just fine fixed btw.
Old 04-04-11, 12:04 PM
liberalswine
ganja mon

Bikes: affinity marta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd take some shots from critics. But before you bash me, I am in the process of getting silver omnium cranks or dura aces. Also, just for aesthetics, I am getting a silver seatpost and silver stem. What else should I do? Oh and yes, I do have a brake...just not pictured. Also, still tinkering with my setup which is why I haven't cut the steerer tube down. Adjust-ability is always nice

Old 04-04-11, 12:35 PM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I LOVE the Blizzard too.
yes, mine was 853 though, and I wouldn't dismiss aluminum, my Homegrown is the most comfortable hardtail I have ever ridden. And almost half the weight of the Blizzard frame.
Old 04-04-11, 12:51 PM
chenghiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liberalswine
Thought I'd take some shots from critics. But before you bash me, I am in the process of getting silver omnium cranks or dura aces. Also, just for aesthetics, I am getting a silver seatpost and silver stem. What else should I do? Oh and yes, I do have a brake...just not pictured. Also, still tinkering with my setup which is why I haven't cut the steerer tube down. Adjust-ability is always nice

That trispoke is way too thick for a steel frame. It would look better on a bike with aero tubes.. right now it just looks goofy.
Old 04-04-11, 03:18 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Agreed. Chub looks goofy with the rear triangle as well.

I'd get 7700 or 7600 cranks, Omniums will look so fat and it won't look good with the frame.

That said, it's a fun ride nonetheless.
Old 04-04-11, 03:49 PM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think black frame w/ flat black trispoke is what's making the wheel look out of place. If you're set on aero wheels maybe try something with more spokes? I think this similar lo pro pulled off the trispoke just fine because of the different finishes.:
Old 04-04-11, 04:22 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i actually like the super thick trispoke...i can see what people are saying though.
i could make some suggestions for aesthetic changes but i wouldn't be sure if they would make the build look better or not without actually seeing it. it seems like you are not going for the total black out look, so things like a silver seatpost, maybe a silver stem, and a silver brake, silver brake lever, with silver/chrome brake cable housing would look really good. balance out all the silver in the rear wheel.

actually i can imagine a nice silver front brake would help make the fatty trispoke up front feel more cohesive.

i would also go with black straps instead of white. and the red knog kind of bothers me.

but all in all i dig it.
Old 04-04-11, 04:30 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still in progress...

yay i am in the midst of finishing up a pista concept build myself.
i would say what bothers me the most is the lack of seatpost coupled with a somewhat long looking stem and long drops....but perhaps you have super short legs and super long arms?

but i really dig the frame (obviously) and the deep HEDs are nice looking on this. i actually sort of like the machining on the rims, might as well take advantage and get a front brake. But maybe this will be ridden on the track? mine will! (albeit once a month at the most)

i sort of like the seatpost having the clamp be silver, goes with the silver machining on the rims and silver cranks.....although i am not into that chainring. sort of looks slightly "old school" to me while big aero tube pista concept frame really "new school" (sorry for cliche word usage)....i would think a black FSA chainring would look nice....or something along those lines.

all in all i dig it so far.
Old 04-04-11, 04:35 PM
illdthedj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iBgearLess
Here is the newest version. Once again sorry for the crappy pics (I miss my D700)

your handlebar situation looks as functional as it is ugly ;p
what i mean is, i think it looks like a really comfy seatup with lots of nice hand positions, but aesthetically its kind of not good looking. im thinking its just the ourys really.
but the whole rest of the bike is nice and classy. im digging the beefy tires.
Old 04-04-11, 04:38 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

put some clear coat on that thing
Old 04-04-11, 04:42 PM
liberalswine
ganja mon

Bikes: affinity marta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on my affinity. Few things..forgot to take of the red knog...but yeah all functionality there until I can find some black ones. Also, the double white straps were actually a xmas gift from my brother in law, so figured id use them up before I get some nice double straps.

I do see where you guys are goin in regards to contrast and I did want to build a nice spoked front wheel. But I found a great deal on the trispoke so I had to go for it. Furthermore, the beauty of being an avid bike hobbyist is that our bikes go through tons of aesthetic changes and I can't wait to see what I do to this down the road. I'm actually thinking about painting my frame steel grey metallic- same color as my subaru.

That teal lo pro was actually inspiring to me for this build! I was looking for that concor sprint saddle too with no luck. Its so sweeet!
Old 04-04-11, 08:59 PM
ironpuppy13
Crushing it All the Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

get those pitchfork ready to Behold the glory of frankenbike!!
Attached Images
Old 04-04-11, 09:20 PM
devalious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
yay i am in the midst of finishing up a pista concept build myself.
i would say what bothers me the most is the lack of seatpost coupled with a somewhat long looking stem and long drops....but perhaps you have super short legs and super long arms?

but i really dig the frame (obviously) and the deep HEDs are nice looking on this. i actually sort of like the machining on the rims, might as well take advantage and get a front brake. But maybe this will be ridden on the track? mine will! (albeit once a month at the most)

i sort of like the seatpost having the clamp be silver, goes with the silver machining on the rims and silver cranks.....although i am not into that chainring. sort of looks slightly "old school" to me while big aero tube pista concept frame really "new school" (sorry for cliche word usage)....i would think a black FSA chainring would look nice....or something along those lines.

all in all i dig it so far.
Thanks for your opinion and help! I bought the frameset with the stem and handlebar. I need to change those to a shorter one soon! I think its either 100 or 110mm but I probably need a 80mm. The handlebar needs a shorter drop too. I'll change them all and post it up when I can. Any recommended components would be appreciated!
Old 04-04-11, 09:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by longjohns

And maybe a chain and pedals as well...
Old 04-04-11, 10:02 PM
craigcraigcraig
Don't really have a bike.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that lo pro is sick just needs some nicer cranks. maybe these:
Old 04-04-11, 10:13 PM
iBgearLess

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by illdthedj
your handlebar situation looks as functional as it is ugly ;p
what i mean is, i think it looks like a really comfy seatup with lots of nice hand positions, but aesthetically its kind of not good looking. im thinking its just the ourys really.
but the whole rest of the bike is nice and classy. im digging the beefy tires.
Thanks. I ditched the Oury's today and re-wrapped the bars with some grey Deda padded tape, feels great. I think the bars are getting flipped back over again though, just didn't feel right on a long ride with them in that position.
Old 04-07-11, 08:15 AM
devalious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to put on my fsa crankset krono tt crank
Old 04-07-11, 04:56 PM
ShaneRidesBikes

Bikes: Dawes SST <3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HATE HATE HATE.

Fixed Gear Freestyle, what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new1.jpg (32.0 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg
new2.jpg (31.4 KB, 61 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.