Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting serious about getting into shape

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-08-19, 08:13 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting around to the flooring replacement sooner than I had expected. We installed a 3/8 thk hard rubber flooring meant for gyms. I'm loving the surface. Whenever I'm doing a stretching program on the carpet, my feet slip. I won't have this problem anymore. I'll be finishing up the rest of the flooring tomorrow. I have the edge cuts left to do.

Old 02-09-19, 09:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
I want to be able to do some longer rides this summer, so I'm getting serious about some winter training. My wife and I cleaned out one of our basement rooms and converted it to an exercise room
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I've got to be outside.
I hike, ski, kayak, etc.
Luckily the far left coast is outdoor paradise.

Too many walls staying inside so much.
Here's why I don't have much of a choice ...
Impressive facilities but we live in a small, but elegant condo in downtown.

Just prior to reading this thread, I posted to the Winter Cycling Forum:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
what are your favorite [Winter] conditions?

Nice descriptions @rumrunn6. 2019 is for me a re-building year after a bad 2018 (link), so since January I've been trying to ride, on abbreviated commuter routes using Commuter Rail.

As I have frequently posted:
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting.

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride

And to a lesser extent, family activities. …
You’re cetainly right about this being a friendly winter for riding.

During the single-digit, last week of January, I was (fortunately) stymied by attending a week-long conference in Boston. At such conferences I usually offer to take visitors on an evening walking tour in downtown, but no takers…
Fitness is my prime motivator for winter commuting, as my only tenable activity, though indeed just last week I looked at indoor trainers, to keep at work, but time and disinterest in indoor riding is still a limitation.

Sufficient outdoor riding prepares me for the Spring (link) and builds up tolerance for the cold in general.

Anyways, apropos of the title of this thread, one of the best motivators I experienced was in 2016:
...Just this week, I was presented with a golden motivation to achieve my optimal mileage. The organization I work for is promoting an “Activity Challenge,” for teams of five members to track their physical activity: type, intensity and duration, from March 6 to June 6, and points are assigned.

Two of my co-workers are on an opposing team. Results will be posted weekly.

That may be just what I need to win this one for the Gipper.”
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You must WIN, Jim. Do whatever it takes ... must win...
Thanks for your encouragement, @Phil_gretz. The Challenge ended on June 4, and I came in third place of about 40 participants, and our team came in first, by a hair-breadth …

Those standings were released every week, and the competition was very motivating with very beneficial effects. Now that it’s over I am trying to ride at least about 150 miles per week through the summer; 147 miles last week.
This February, another facility that I work at has set up a much less "stringent" Winter Challenge for February.

So far this February as of Feb 8, I have no miles due to work and family activies, but despite temperatures of about 32 °F. with a wind advisory, I’m planning a nine-mile ride from my workplace this Saturday to home (but I can drop out along the route and take a bus. )

PS: @Alfster , as a resident of Alberta, you may find this link interesting:Lexicon Of Urban Edmonton Ices

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-09-19 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 11:10 AM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting serious about getting into shapeImpressive facilities but we live in a small, but elegant condo in downtown.

Just prior to reading this thread, I posted to the Winter Cycling Forum: Fitness is my prime motivator for winter commuting, as my only tenable activity, though indeed just last week I looked at indoor trainers, to keep at work, but time and disinterest in indoor riding is still a limitation.

Sufficient outdoor riding prepares me for the Spring (link) and builds up tolerance for the cold in general.

Anyways, apropos of the title of this thread, one of the best motivators I experienced was in 2016: This February, another facility that I work at has set up a much less "stringent" Winter Challenge for February.

So far this February as of Feb 8, I have no miles due to work and family activies, but despite temperatures of about 32 °F. with a wind advisory, I’m planning a nine-mile ride from my workplace this Saturday to home (but I can drop out along the route and take a bus. )

PS: @Alfster , as a resident of Alberta, you may find this link interesting:Lexicon Of Urban Edmonton Ices
Challenges, especially with friends and/or coworkers, is definitely a great motivation. However, in our area I doubt anyone would find the motivation to get me out in our -25 to -35 degree celcius temps (-13 to -31 deg F). I've tried it before, but it's simply not any fun. I'm looking forward to getting Zwift working to see if that helps with the indoor training. Plus, I alternate my workouts so that it's not always bike training. I follow the Fitness Blender workouts online for strength, cardio and stretching exercises (mostly using mat floor work and barbells ... which is new for me but I love it).
Old 02-10-19, 06:32 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just about done. Just need to install a bit of rubber tile in the closet, install a french glass door at the entrance, replace the lights with flush mount LED lights, and replace my Fluid 2 trainer with a smart trainer. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Old 02-14-19, 01:08 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
WOW! Nice space to workout in. I'm really liking the flooring especially. I'm finding it hard to get motivated to get my own basement finished, much less well appointed, but I can do a flooring like that to at least get started. Thank you! Enjoy!
Old 02-14-19, 01:12 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Nice setup @Alfster. I would put you (and others here) squarely in the "Third Little Pig" camp, you know, the one who built things correctly. I on the other hand have always been a "First Little Pig" inasmuch that I'm willing to cut corners so I can start having some fun; this has bitten me from behind more times than I care to remember. My set up in the basement is a gym and a work area for my bikes, one day I'll have someone who knows what they're doing come make a proper gym out of it.

Nice dual use of the treadmill arm rail there. I like it.
Old 02-14-19, 09:28 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zjrog
WOW! Nice space to workout in. I'm really liking the flooring especially. I'm finding it hard to get motivated to get my own basement finished, much less well appointed, but I can do a flooring like that to at least get started. Thank you! Enjoy!
The flooring was quite easy to install. See link below for the exact product I installed. It's 3/8" thick, hard rubber flooring. Very durable. You'll need a good utility knife with a fresh blade to more easily cut through the rubber. It'll take 4 or 5 passes to cut all the way through. Good luck and post some pics.

https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/ottawa/c...ti238mbsg.html
Old 02-14-19, 09:30 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So once I get started I usually get carried away. I just bought a receiver and in-ceiling speakers. Which of course means that I need to rip off the old wall paneling and ceiling tiles to install the wiring, new drywall and ceiling tiles. This room is getting modernized
Old 02-14-19, 10:00 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
That is a nice space. We don't have basements in Hawaii, though many people just put workout stuff out on the lanai. My wife has a Versa-climber machine set up in the family room and uses it for an hour every day. I go to the base gym on the local army base 3xweek as I prefer the people to working out alone. It is pretty well-equipped too with free weight, aerobics, and nautilus rooms. The troops lately are getting ready for the new Army PFT, pulling the weighted sled and what-not.

scott s.
Old 02-14-19, 10:32 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott967
That is a nice space. We don't have basements in Hawaii, though many people just put workout stuff out on the lanai. My wife has a Versa-climber machine set up in the family room and uses it for an hour every day. I go to the base gym on the local army base 3xweek as I prefer the people to working out alone. It is pretty well-equipped too with free weight, aerobics, and nautilus rooms. The troops lately are getting ready for the new Army PFT, pulling the weighted sled and what-not.

scott s.
I wouldn't need a basement exercise room if I lived in Hawaii. I'm jealous!
Old 02-15-19, 08:28 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

The flooring was quite easy to install. See link below for the exact product I installed. It's 3/8" thick, hard rubber flooring. Very durable. You'll need a good utility knife with a fresh blade to more easily cut through the rubber. It'll take 4 or 5 passes to cut all the way through. Good luck and post some pics.

https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/ottawa/c...ti238mbsg.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html
A similar cheaper mat. I want to go look at this tomorrow. But it might be a cheaper alternative. I doubt it is as solid your mat...
Old 02-15-19, 11:06 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zjrog
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html
A similar cheaper mat. I want to go look at this tomorrow. But it might be a cheaper alternative. I doubt it is as solid your mat...
Looks like it should work. Just don't want too thin or too flexible of rubber as the locking edges will more easily come apart.
Old 02-15-19, 11:13 PM
zjrog

Looks like it should work. Just don't want too thin or too flexible of rubber as the locking edges will more easily come apart.
They claim 1/2", I'll stop in tomorrow and look at them. I was looking at a few options for my garage as well, Racedeck is really neat stuff, but has very little "give" under foot or dampening noise.
Old 02-16-19, 10:02 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Don't Canadians fly south for the winter?

One week in a nice sunny and dry location will help your training a lot.

Follow the Canadian geese.
Old 02-24-19, 08:26 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Don't Canadians fly south for the winter?

One week in a nice sunny and dry location will help your training a lot.

Follow the Canadian geese.
Only the retired ones. I've got a ways to go yet.