Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988-89 Eddy Merckx Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 11:09 AM
mcpastor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I recently bought a 1988-89 Team Stuttgart Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra built up with mostly 1977 Campagnolo Super Record parts. I just loved the look. I've been wanting a bike that reminded me of my younger cycling days, though I never could have afforded this bike back then!

According to cadre(dot)org, my serial number L6X7056B means it's a 1988-89. That is verified in the catalog at velo-pages. However, there are some differences in my frame and the frames that appear in the catalog:

Mine has:
One chrome chain stay vs. two
One set of bottle braze-ons vs. two
No pump peg
No chain hanger

Other than that, the paint is original with the appropriate Eddy Merckx logos cast into the lugs, bottom bracket, fork crown, etc. SXL tubing according to the original sticker. I knew about the discrepancies before I purchased the bike, and I was just fine with it.

I'm wondering if these were customer-chosen options (perhaps to save money). Or, perhaps Merckx changed their standard options. Or, maybe this was team issue or built to the preferences of a pro racer (one can dream).

I'd include a picture, but since this is my first post, the forum won't allow that or including links.
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have a 1987 or 1988 Corsa Extra. A local bike shop has a later Corsa Extra that is a genuine Team Motorola Corsa Extra team bike and it has numerous special details.

It's possible that the example you have is a team bike and they dispensed with a few nonessential items that you listed.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-12-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:47 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Not a team issue bike. Serial indicates Columbus SLX tubing, 56cm seat tube.
Literally everything was/could be an option in that time period, so likely yours was ordered that way either by a customer or a bike shop.
One set of bottle braze ons is unusual for late 80's, but there you have it. Does yours have hidden top tube cable routing, or cable housing braze ons?
Old 03-13-19, 11:26 PM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Welcome to the forum!
Not a team issue bike. Serial indicates Columbus SLX tubing, 56cm seat tube.
Literally everything was/could be an option in that time period, so likely yours was ordered that way either by a customer or a bike shop.
One set of bottle braze ons is unusual for late 80's, but there you have it. Does yours have hidden top tube cable routing, or cable housing braze ons?
Thanks for the response.

Very interesting.

So, did team issue bikes have a different serial number or some other identifier of which you are aware? I’m curious how you know it’s not a team issue, or is that a hunch?

My frame has the internally routed rear brake cable through the top tube.

I’ll post some pics as soon as I can.

Old 03-14-19, 07:38 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Should have said 'likely not a team bike', as one can of course never be certain.
You didn't mention a number hanger, so assumed it doesn't have one.
For some reason, there are a number of Stuttgarts out there in different sizes with the build options you mention.
Looking forward to seeing pics.
Old 03-14-19, 07:59 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Should have said 'likely not a team bike', as one can of course never be certain.
You didn't mention a number hanger, so assumed it doesn't have one.
For some reason, there are a number of Stuttgarts out there in different sizes with the build options you mention.
Looking forward to seeing pics.
Correct, no number hanger.

My Campy Superleggeri pedals arrived yesterday. I’m just waiting on Christophe toe straps to go with my Christophe toe clips, my Campy rear dropout adjuster screws, my Elite bottle cage and a repop vintage style Eddy Merckx bottle.

As soon as the forum lets me get my 10 posts in I’ll share pics whether complete or not.
Old 03-15-19, 09:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Another possibility is that they were market dependent variations. In general, Americans are more enamoured with bling and features than Europeans. Many brands display differences between markets and that may explain the differences in chrome, pump peg and chain hanger. For instance, I've seen team issue Eddy Merckx bicycles from this period with zero chrome. However, the single set of bottle bosses is bit more perplexing. Regardless, here's a picture assist....
Old 03-16-19, 08:16 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Another possibility is that they were market dependent variations. In general, Americans are more enamoured with bling and features than Europeans. Many brands display differences between markets and that may explain the differences in chrome, pump peg and chain hanger. For instance, I've seen team issue Eddy Merckx bicycles from this period with zero chrome. However, the single set of bottle bosses is bit more perplexing. Regardless, here's a picture assist....
Hey thanks T-Mar for the info and for the pic of my bike!

Maybe the original purchaser took the minimalistic route to keep things as light as possible, or maybe he planned on placing his frame pump vertically along the seat tube.
Old 03-16-19, 11:29 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Off topic, but to get your post count up, go to the introductions forum and welcome a few new folks and you've got you count. I've got an 1982 and mid 90's Merckx.
Old 03-16-19, 11:40 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts

I've been looking for a Stuttgart Merckx for at least 5 years now. Closest I've seen was a 62cm track bike, which is about 1 cm too big for me. And I later learned you want track bikes to be about 1-2cm smaller than your usual road size. Alas.

Pictures, man! Pictures!
Old 03-17-19, 12:53 PM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris

I've been looking for a Stuttgart Merckx for at least 5 years now. Closest I've seen was a 62cm track bike, which is about 1 cm too big for me. And I later learned you want track bikes to be about 1-2cm smaller than your usual road size. Alas.

Pictures, man! Pictures!
I was thinking of a steel bike for nostalgia's sake, and when I saw the Stuttgart, I couldn't let it go. I guess I was fortunate to find one on eBay. It came from a seller called "steel_lust."

Here are some pics:

Old 03-17-19, 01:14 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Very nice! Enjoy and don't spend too much time on provenance.
Old 03-17-19, 09:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
+1 Bellissima!
I really envy you chocolate factory employees; all the best bikes show up on Ebay and Craigslist in your sizes.
Old 05-01-19, 02:36 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Hi! a full description of the standard and possible changes / additions within the framework built by EM is on the last page of the 1992 catalog (I think it has been in force for several years). The biggest riddle is ... FD on the clamp The bike is rather from 1990.
Old 05-06-19, 09:23 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
Hi! a full description of the standard and possible changes / additions within the framework built by EM is on the last page of the 1992 catalog (I think it has been in force for several years). The biggest riddle is ... FD on the clamp The bike is rather from 1990.
Thanks for your post!

You are correct, the clamp-on FD is a bit of a riddle. Prior to the sale, the person I bought the bike from disclosed the fact that the hanger had been removed and paint touched up prior to his owning it. I'm wondering if the hanger had gotten damaged in some way.

The year doesn't matter that much to me, but according to its serial number, my Merckx does appear to be a 1989, not a 1990: Eddy Merckx Serial Numbers.

There's also a picture of the available Team Stuttgart frame colors and options in the '89 catalog here: Eddy Merckx catalog (1989)
Old 05-06-19, 10:11 AM
CyclesMakaron

Hi! rather use it: Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames. Team Stuttgart existed in the 1989-1990 seasons; the frame in such "camo" was produced from the end of 1988 to 1991.
Old 05-06-19, 02:05 PM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi! rather use it: Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames. Team Stuttgart existed in the 1989-1990 seasons; the frame in such "camo" was produced from the end of 1988 to 1991.
Jacek, thanks for your informative thread, "Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames."

So, if I'm understanding your post correctly, the breakdown of my serial number L6X7056B would be:

L = frame prep employee
6 = 56cm
X = SLX
7056 = bike number
B = series number

So, contrary to Eddy Merckx Serial Numbers "B" does not actually mean '88-89. The B series of bikes could span more than one year, and there is no indication of the actual year the bike was made.

Is this correct, and do you or someone you know when each of these series' started and concluded?
Old 05-07-19, 01:38 AM
CyclesMakaron

Hi! breakdown = 100% correct; Series B is 9999 frames - the production lasted for more than a year. All of these frames could have been produced in 89-90, but not from January 1, 1989 to December 31, 1990 - EMC kept the order of frame numbering, but not correlated with any specific dates. The letter B does not simply mean a specific year of production. "Are you or someone you know when each of these series began and ended?" No, I do not know, I can determine with approximation when it should happen - I work on it and maybe one day I will succeed The only people who know more are Mr Eddy Merckx and Mr Johan Vranckx. Apparently the production registers with markings have been destroyed (2008?); rumored Mr Vranckx kept his own register of the frames he worked on - there is no confirmation. The only (priceless) source of information (roughly precise) is the confirmation of the purchase of bicycles / frames containing the date of purchase, frame number and place of purchase: one such receipt destroyed "Z = 1985 theory" ...
Old 05-09-19, 02:06 PM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi! breakdown = 100% correct; Series B is 9999 frames - the production lasted for more than a year. All of these frames could have been produced in 89-90, but not from January 1, 1989 to December 31, 1990 - EMC kept the order of frame numbering, but not correlated with any specific dates. The letter B does not simply mean a specific year of production. "Are you or someone you know when each of these series began and ended?" No, I do not know, I can determine with approximation when it should happen - I work on it and maybe one day I will succeed The only people who know more are Mr Eddy Merckx and Mr Johan Vranckx. Apparently the production registers with markings have been destroyed (2008?); rumored Mr Vranckx kept his own register of the frames he worked on - there is no confirmation. The only (priceless) source of information (roughly precise) is the confirmation of the purchase of bicycles / frames containing the date of purchase, frame number and place of purchase: one such receipt destroyed "Z = 1985 theory" ...
Wow, thanks for the info! Maybe someday we will know for sure.