Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Homeless story on Rebecca Twigg

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 11:12 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts

Saw this article today in the Seattle Times. There's a lot of controversy right now about the homeless situation in Seattle.

Likes For scozim:
Old 04-15-19, 11:26 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Saw this article today in the Seattle Times. There's a lot of controversy right now about the homeless situation in Seattle.
Sad story.
Old 04-15-19, 11:26 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Wow. Never would have guessed.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-15-19, 11:27 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Man, I had not heard that either. She certainly shined brighter than most at one time.
Makes one wonder about all the other names that were huge at one time, but you don't hear about anymore.
Thanks for posting.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 04-15-19, 11:29 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Wow, that is really sad.
She was something.
Old 04-15-19, 11:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Thank you for sharing and yes wow.
Old 04-15-19, 11:44 AM
Nathanael47
StumblingNewb

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Special?, Taga Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a hard life even from the beginning.
Great piece of journalism. I'm always curious about the circumstances that bring people to these extremes.
Old 04-15-19, 12:56 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
She sure made enough money for Trek, Pro-Tec, and for the cycling magazines.

Likes For calamarichris:
Old 04-15-19, 01:32 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Sad story indeed. I wonder why she never tried any cycling related work - at least the article doesn't mention it.
Old 04-15-19, 01:48 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
One would think that there would be some sort of support system for these Olympic veterans that gave so much of themselves to represent our country.
Sure, the biggest stars in the sport go on to become successes after leaving their sport, but not all athletes can cope with the change after they retire and the cheering dies down.
I hope she eventually gets back on her feet and finds her path again in life. She gave us so much when we watched her competing in the sport we loved those many years ago.
Old 04-15-19, 01:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathanael47
Sounds like a hard life even from the beginning.
Great piece of journalism. I'm always curious about the circumstances that bring people to these extremes.
Yeah, and from what I've gathered, it's hard to become un-homeless once you are in that state.

It sounds like Rebecca has anxiety, which can absolutely get in the way of normal "adulting", but not the types of mental illness often associated with homeless people. I admire the selflessness of not wanting to occupy space at a shelter that could go to someone in greater need. Hope things work out for her.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-15-19, 02:17 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I am not angry about this - it makes me sad that we have so much wealth and spend it so foolishly. Seems that we have a talented woman with a mental health issue that is not being addressed, and that is partly of her choosing because she has a mental health problem.

Old 04-15-19, 02:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My wife is an LMFT who worked at a hospital that specialized in providing mental health services for the homeless. She hated it - it was a cynical exercise. The police bring them in when they cause a scene or almost die. The hospital medicates them, gets them stable, kicks them out in three days with a prescription bottle in their hands. And then bills the state government. Someone does find them a place to go, but no one makes sure they go there. There's no long term plan.

In some ways this state does a much better job than others. There was a hospital in Nevada that would put them on a bus and dump them out of state. The press called it "Greyhound therapy." In other ways we do worse. Probably because of the good weather we don't have shelters like cities in the north, and so we get town sized camps.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-15-19, 02:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
It's never easy to watch, but independent people often fight the war in their head when they become dependant. She said herself that she left the Olympics when the organisation's goal to repeat past success didn't match with hers. No one sets a goal to be homeless, but if that's the choice she makes, it's still her choice and not someone else's decision. I hope she finds what she needs.
Old 04-15-19, 02:52 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
This is a personal mental health issue not a where the U. S. needs to allocate money issue.
Old 04-15-19, 02:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
She sure made enough money for Trek, Pro-Tec, and for the cycling magazines.
Cash doesn't necessarily roll in as much for female athletes as their male counterparts.

How many boom and bust athlete careers are there? It is almost as if they should be forced into an annuity payment system.

So, she was born in 1963. Quit cycling in 1996, at age of 33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Twigg

Apparently pretty abrupt severing ties over a disagreement over the bike.
However, her final Olympic appearance, in Atlanta in 1996, ended in controversy when she quit the team in a disagreement with the coach Chris Carmichael and the U.S. Cycling Federation. The federation had invested in the development of the so-called SuperBike. Twigg, after using the bike earlier in the Games, refused to ride it, citing poor individual fit and claiming that pressure from the staff on her to use the SuperBike and their refusal to grant accreditation to her personal coach, Eddie Borysewicz, left her defocused.
One has to wonder if that stubbornness both helped her in her cycling career, but ultimately destroyed her in her post cycling occupational career.

And, investing her whole life from childhood to age 33 into cycling, then suddenly leaving cycling, could be an extraordinary difficult transition.

And, Rebecca Twigg on the GT Superbike that destroyed her career.

Step Through version?

And, of course, as a final note of irony, the GT Superbike was later banned by the UCI.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/the-...e-engineering/
Old 04-15-19, 03:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Here's an ironic post.

Old 04-15-19, 03:37 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
People who take up a sadistic sport like pro cycling can be very intense, borderline mentally-ill individuals. I think it was Armstrong that said "Normal people don't race in the Tour de France." Those near-psychotic tendencies can give a person an edge in competition, but can cause unexpected problems when the person retires and tries to live a normal, white picket fence, 9-5 job, 2.3 children type-of-life.

I think the USCF should consider sponsoring an old folks home for retired riders. At least the film industry, say what you will about them, does that much for its people when they can no longer look after themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denville_Hall
Old 04-15-19, 03:50 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts
I am sorry that Rebecca is in this situation. But I am glad that she is willing to talk about it. I hope she will create some understanding that once someone ends up on the streets, getting off is an uphill battle, no cycling pun intended. I know people who have had family members who were homeless. Even when they were able to address the issues that lead to that situation, there were many other obstacles in their way.
One of them is mental health care. Talk to someone who has ever had to seek mental health care. The waits for appointments are often long, the process is often complicated even with insurance, and medications are expensive. And on top of that, when care is needed, that is the time when it is difficult for people to accept help or to have the focus needed to get care.
I hope for the best for her. And I’ll bet she could still kick my butt like she used to do when she rode at Marymoor.
Old 04-15-19, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think the USCF should consider sponsoring an old folks home for retired riders. At least the film industry, say what you will about them, does that much for its people when they can no longer look after themselves.

There are a lot of child actors that struggle later in life.

The boom & BUST really affects a lot of people.
Old 04-15-19, 03:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
People who take up a sadistic sport like pro cycling can be very intense, borderline mentally-ill individuals. I think it was Armstrong that said "Normal people don't race in the Tour de France." Those near-psychotic tendencies can give a person an edge in competition, but can cause unexpected problems when the person retires and tries to live a normal, white picket fence, 9-5 job, 2.3 children type-of-life.

Especially a rider like Twigg who brought in some much money to sponsors, the races and the federation, The current VeloNews article says she never made more than $50,000/year. Two Olympic medals, her face on magazines. Gold for the cycling industry.

Ben
Old 04-15-19, 04:37 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts

The sadism was in the USCF. Does no one remember the LA 84 Olympic blood-doping scandal? Rebecca was one of those who did not want to do it. At all. There was coercion. It was a botched hurry-up job of blood-doping that, surprise, made her sick. Eddy Borysewicz as vampire. How that guy is walking free is beyond me. The "walkout" at '96 Olympics was about using the sponsor's experimental superbike that simply did not work. She could have won that easy riding her own bike or most any bike. Just as she would have had Olympic gold in '84 if racing clean. The lady was vulnerable and the lady was abused. Abused a lot. One of the few who has spoken freely about how it all worked is Inga Thompson, mentioned in the article. If you look up her articles and interviews you will get a good idea how bad it was. Cycling for young women same as gymnastics or tennis or ballet. Coaches who get off on abusing girls. As long as USCF excels at fundraising and pays off USOC no rules and no restraints. Follow Inga's example and don't let your kids or any other family go near competitive cycling.
Old 04-15-19, 05:15 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
It's the truth of sports and the arts, to be the best a lot of the rest that balances us doesn't occur, and those who make money off the artist or the athlete are all about the money. The history of athletes and artists is littered with Mozart dying in a mass pauper's grave, Rebecca Twigg, etc. Look how hard it was in baseball, basketball and football for the professionals to acquire any form of income equality with the owners, which is still lagging way way behind. The person that makes the sport, that suffers a broken body and/or mind in the case of full contact sports, that person walks away with pennies on the dollar compared to the person who uses them and tosses them away. And no I don't care if they are currently making millions, remember that money has to last for a life time as most have few other skills due to the necessity of constant training to fall back upon. And their millions are nothing compared to the billions of the owners. Why do you think the College Semi-Pro Football and Basketball programs, farm systems for their respective professional leagues, fight so hard against paying their players for their services or allowing them to enter into contracts for the sale of their rights to gaming and/or other media. It isn't because of the sacred "student athlete", it is all about money, their making money off the "student athlete", at least in this respect baseball is honest paying for their Farm System, rather than letting the state taxpayers pay. But enough, a very few of the Professional Athletes, Artist, end up like Magic Johnson, after all no one at art auction houses want to give back 10% of the proceeds of sale for a piece of art exchanged for a meal, like Van Gough. No they have a different view commonly expressed as: Tough luck buddy, you bum.
Old 04-15-19, 05:35 PM
Tautatis

Bikes: Miyata 912|Raleigh Super Course & MK II|Trek 830(Original Owner)/610/520/510/420/310|Jamis Coda 2011|Fuji Monterrey & Tourer|Shogun CroMo 500 & 600|1987 Bianchi Sport SX & Ltd|Mossberg VM-1, 1980 Mercian Olympic| Takara Olympic| Bridgestone RB-2|

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I am not angry about this - it makes me sad that we have so much wealth and spend it so foolishly. Seems that we have a talented woman with a mental health issue that is not being addressed, and that is partly of her choosing because she has a mental health problem.

https://youtu.be/jQazOIZxZGo
A very very sad story. It happens to a lot of Americans with talents - academics and sports.

You nailed it. It is very clear from the article there is mental health issues here and not just being kicked to the curb or quitting a job and - far from not being able to find work etc.
Old 04-15-19, 05:38 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Especially a rider like Twigg who brought in some much money to sponsors, the races and the federation, The current VeloNews article says she never made more than $50,000/year. Two Olympic medals, her face on magazines. Gold for the cycling industry.

Ben
Whew... peanuts

Of course, that was 25 or 30 years ago, so enough to pay off a small house, but certainly not living like royalty. And, hard to build up a lifetime's worth of savings.

Was college put aside to pursue pro sports?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.