Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Happy belated birthday to me - a custom mixte!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-29-19, 10:52 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

So it is almost my birthday - and my gift to myself is a custom bike to replace my stolen one.

The back story? Last year, as I turned 40, I thought about getting a custom bike, and decided that it was completely unnecessary. And then my bike got stolen earlier this year. So I guess that was the universe's way of telling me to do it. Combine that with sizing updates on the Soma Buena Vista which would have left me with a crappy fit and a lack of production mixte options.

It's getting pretty close to new bike day - my Sixth Law frame is getting some finishing touches before it is off to powder coat. So I thought I could share a preview. I have a couple more weeks to go!

Here are a few progress pics:

Full Frame

Rear

Front Basket

Rear Rack - in progress

I'll also share the final build here!
Old 05-29-19, 11:01 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 706 Posts
Almost Feliz Cumpleaños
Likes For malcala622:
Old 05-30-19, 02:45 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Nice! Do I spot internal cable routing and a DI2 8-speed Shimano hub?
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-30-19, 04:43 AM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Masi Giramondo 27.5, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 26 Posts
It's beautiful already! Something about a mixte really speaks to me.
Likes For DHPflaumer:
Old 05-30-19, 07:45 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Sweet and advanced Happy Birthday!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-30-19, 09:36 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
Whoa!

Sweet!

You first see it and you’re like “that’s nice... wait... are those canti mounts?” And then the custom basket... and then the custom rack and then the internal gear hub wheel...

This bike will dominate.

BTW- Happy Birthday, and sorry your old bike was stolen.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-30-19, 09:41 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Sweet ride ! looking forward to more pics as it gets finished
Likes For ryansu:
Old 05-30-19, 11:39 AM
jade408

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Nice! Do I spot internal cable routing and a DI2 8-speed Shimano hub?
It is! Internal cable routing for my dynamo lights (as well as brakes and shifting)

That is a placeholder wheel - and not mine. But I am doing an Alfine 11 IGH. No electric shifting though - didn't want to remember to charge. I am swapping the shifter to the Jtek instead of Shimano's native ones.
Likes For jade408:
Old 05-30-19, 11:43 AM
jade408

Thanks everyone! I am so excited. Here are some more build details:
  • Alfine 11 IGH with Jtek thumb shifter
  • SP dynamo hub
  • Son lights for front and rear
  • Rivet Loveland saddle
  • Paul Centerpull brakes
  • VO Porteur Handlebars
  • Honjo Turtle fenders
  • 650b x 42 tires
Old 05-30-19, 11:59 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
I figured those were braze-on centerpull studs. If they were canti studs the tire would hit that bridge. Super cool. Those brakes are going to be so smooth.

Did you have the VO Porteur bars on your Soma? I used those bars for a couple years on my mixte (a mid-level lugged Sanwa chromoly mixte) and I loved them dearly. Very comfortable bars.
Old 05-30-19, 11:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts

Not liking the stem and handlebars.
Nice present to oneself. For my 40th birthday, 9/6/1992, I purchased a brand new Ochsner steel road bike. I still have that bike and just completed a re-build for it about a month ago, my first attempt at that. I really enjoyed doing the work on it, despite some frustrating issues. In my opinion, it came out really well. I am now looking to change the stem and the handlebar. I do not care much for the look of the stem and I believe I would like a modern, compact handlebar, i.e. Soma highway one.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-30-19, 12:01 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
It is! Internal cable routing for my dynamo lights (as well as brakes and shifting)

That is a placeholder wheel - and not mine. But I am doing an Alfine 11 IGH. No electric shifting though - didn't want to remember to charge. I am swapping the shifter to the Jtek instead of Shimano's native ones.
That should be a fun ride. Always wanted to try the 11-speed Am fine. I came across that hub when I was doing research on a ****** R e d d i t question for someone with limited hand strength. Apparently they have an 8-speed, Di2, combined disc brake + coaster brake version.

The Jtek shifters look like quality parts. Looked into it a few years ago when I was thinking of building my own bike on a new frame. Ended up with a C&V addiction.

Any thoughts on what colour you're going to use?

Edit: The Honji brass fenders?

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-30-19 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 12:02 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I figured those were braze-on centerpull studs. If they were canti studs the tire would hit that bridge. Super cool. Those brakes are going to be so smooth.

Did you have the VO Porteur bars on your Soma? I used those bars for a couple years on my mixte (a mid-level lugged Sanwa chromoly mixte) and I loved them dearly. Very comfortable bars.
I had the Soma Oxfords on the Soma. I am excited about the porteurs - which are going to be flipped (or is it right side up?)
Old 05-30-19, 02:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Wow, this has the best of everything. It's terrific.

Have you seen this? I think she had another post with more details of the frame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-30-19, 02:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
very nice congrats

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-30-19, 02:21 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Let’s hope the lowlifes don’t get this one!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-30-19, 02:43 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by delbiker1

Not liking the stem and handlebars.
Nice present to oneself. For my 40th birthday, 9/6/1992, I purchased a brand new Ochsner steel road bike. I still have that bike and just completed a re-build for it about a month ago, my first attempt at that. I really enjoyed doing the work on it, despite some frustrating issues. In my opinion, it came out really well. I am now looking to change the stem and the handlebar. I do not care much for the look of the stem and I believe I would like a modern, compact handlebar, i.e. Soma highway one.
Awesome! Such a great gift! Every time I see a C&V era derailleur and think about the look of modern ones I think - what the heck happened.
Likes For jade408:
Old 05-30-19, 02:45 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, this has the best of everything. It's terrific.

Have you seen this? I think she had another post with more details of the frame.
Her bike is so awesome! I love it, the details are stellar. I was definitely inspired to copy her handlebar setup.

I'm doing the same!
Old 05-30-19, 02:49 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Let’s hope the lowlifes don’t get this one!
Definitely. The lowlifes stole my bike from my building - locked in a low visibility common era. I had been parking a bike in that locale for 5 years, so it definitely felt safe.

Now I am to reorganizing my apartment to find space to store inside to be extra vigilant.

I see custom bikes locked up around town often surprisingly. I'll be biking to work and everyone just parks their bike in our office. So I'll feel safe for my commute. And there is a bike valet station a couple of blocks away a long with another secure (membership required) bike storage place - in case I need to lock up near work.
Old 05-30-19, 02:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I'm glad you'll be able to secure it well. You deserve to hold that bike for a long time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-30-19, 03:01 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by JaccoW
That should be a fun ride. Always wanted to try the 11-speed Am fine. I came across that hub when I was doing research on a ****** R e d d i t question for someone with limited hand strength. Apparently they have an 8-speed, Di2, combined disc brake + coaster brake version.
I am excited, the last bike had the 8 speed Alfine. I wanted a little more range - so the 11 speed should be a great upgrade!

The Jtek shifters look like quality parts. Looked into it a few years ago when I was thinking of building my own bike on a new frame. Ended up with a C&V addiction.
The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be quite big! I had a Microshift thumbie on my Soma, and I think it is larger! I can understand the C&V addiction. I wasn't patient enough to wait around for a perfect vintage mixte - though it feels like sizing is much better for me on those.

The whole custom thing came up because for what ever reason my proportions seem to lead to a lot of toe overlap (with fenders). When I didn't get the toe overlap either the reach was too far or I had the seat as low as possible and it was a smidge too high.

Any thoughts on what colour you're going to use?
A metallic purple. I am sort of just guessing - you know how screen renderings in real life differ. Was thinking go getting a sample, but the vendor was out. But I am not super picky about color. There is a wide spectrum of things I like. I had a few colors and used the durability/UV rating to narrow it down. I decided my old bike's burgundy-purple color was cursed.

Edit: The Honji brass fenders?
I thought about those and decided they were out of budget! I had to scrimp somewhere. They are beautiful for sure, and would match really nicely.

I had planned to get VO fenders, but I got a Simworks coupon that pushed me over the edge - it reduced the cost differential. And I had upgraded on my brakes.
Old 05-30-19, 03:10 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Jade this has been a really good thread. Thanks for your comments. Your build is very impressive, and I look forward to more pictures and detail as it progresses. Great Job!
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-30-19, 03:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

So will this frame eliminate toe overlap? I know everyone has different needs, but I live with toe overlap. I have huge feet, and I have medical reasons to move my cleats back, so my toes are far forward on my pedals. It's really not a problem. I just turn the handlebars, which isn't a problem, because I only bump at very low speeds.

Old 05-30-19, 03:59 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by noglider
So will this frame eliminate toe overlap? I know everyone has different needs, but I live with toe overlap. I have huge feet, and I have medical reasons to move my cleats back, so my toes are far forward on my pedals. It's really not a problem. I just turn the handlebars, which isn't a problem, because I only bump at very low speeds.
Hopefully! The toe overlap I had on my last bike was small and rare. I used this BikeInsights site to figure out if I could use the new Soma (before confirming the custom bike) and the wheels were so much closer than my last bike. That is what helped make up my mind. I test rode a few bikes in "my size" and the toe overlap was ridiculous. And I have average sized feet.

But since I knew I was going for bigger tires, it felt meaningful to note. And I wanted a lower trail bike anyway. So those tweaks to geometry should do the trick for me in eliminating the issue. I also had a bit of pedal strike. Anyway I have shorter cranks and the wheels are out a bit more so I should be safe. It felt most noticeable at slow speeds. My roads are full of potholes so there are sometimes a lot of quick maneuvers to avoid stuff - so it felt a little riskier to have toe overlap.
Old 05-30-19, 04:02 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sounds like a really nice build, once you get it back from PC please post build pictures as you assemble everything. Oh, a belated Happy Birthday wish to you also.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.