Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Route planner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 01:37 PM
darktardis

Bikes: Trek xcaliber 9, Schwinn Premis, Mongoose Switchback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Route planner

I was wandering if anyone has a app or something to plan a route. I just came across something called plotaroute.com but not sure if it is any good or not. Looking for something so I can plan out specific distance rides in my area.
Old 06-19-19, 02:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Ride with GPS https://ridewithgps.com/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-19-19, 06:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
There are quite a few web based route planners. Ridewithgps.com is one of the older ones. It's also very good.

Plotaroute is fairly new. I haven't used it but it's probably fine.
Old 06-20-19, 08:48 AM
fsdogwood

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strava has the route planner function, just used it yesterday, for me, useful if you already know the area and want to mark out the route, can "cancel" a step or 2 if you don't like
Likes For fsdogwood:
Old 06-20-19, 07:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I generally use google maps.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-20-19, 08:07 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm a Ride With GPS fan.

The route planning is good, though in my area (western Wisconsin, southeast Minnesota) it can sometimes underestimate elevation gain a tad bit. There is premium subscription available that allows you to download routes and will give you turn-by-turn directions while riding (helpful if riding in an unfamiliar area).

Map My Ride is older but still effective. Some folks (locally) have now gone to Strava, but I think this is motivated by wanting to know where the Strava segments are.
Old 06-22-19, 03:35 AM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a free account at plotaroute.com

It's pretty good. Sometimes the routing does some odd things, it uses info from openstreetmap which often isn't always perfect. Openstreetmap is easy enough to fix though, which will then update to allow better routing in the future.
Old 06-22-19, 02:10 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Mapometer is web-based and pretty easy to use. I don't think you can export to navigation devices like you can with Strava and MapMyRide and I'm not even sure if you can print your route but for basic route-making, it's ok.
Old 06-23-19, 06:33 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Garmin Connect uses heatmaps to help plan routes. I thought it was cool that so many of my planned routes were apparently heavily traveled by fellow cyclist, then realized my frequent rides might be skewing the map.
Old 06-23-19, 06:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
RideWithGPS charges for the route features, at least when uploading to your phone.

It is free with Strava. It is a little funky to deal with, but the Strava function works well, as long as you don't hit the wrong button on a phone that isn't connected to the web.

On Strava, there are options to prioritize either elevation or popularity.

Be careful though, I have periodically found it choosing routes that wouldn't be my first choice. On the other hand, it may find something that you didn't think about.
Old 06-23-19, 06:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Oh, Google Maps will also do route planning, and you can choose "bicycle" as the transportation mode. It can sometimes be good for a quick and dirty route planning.
Old 06-24-19, 09:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, Google Maps will also do route planning, and you can choose "bicycle" as the transportation mode. It can sometimes be good for a quick and dirty route planning.
Quick and dirty? I find it to be excellent, but that may be because there is more information in my corner of the world than in some others. It is a multi-step process to convert a google maps bike route to ridewithgps, and one side effect is that the turn by turn directions don't have street names. Those are the two downsides which I tolerate because I don't need to do this very often.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-24-19, 09:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Ride with GPS

Save routes to a file and then import into the app of your choice - Polar, Garmin, Wahoo and so forth.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 02:35 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
There is also this one: https://cycle.travel/

Uses OpenStreetMaps and favours quieter roads. Has the option to include or exclude paved routes.
Easy export of files for use in any app.
Where available it has a direct link to Google Streetview and also shows accommodation options per route or per area.

I'm a tourer and have used this all over Europe, so obviously it comes with the usual proviso of not trusting any online planner 100%.
In comparison to the likes of Komoot or RWGPS it produces quieter routes. It may not be for everyone.
Old 07-07-19, 06:55 PM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I use Ride with GPS and have the premium subscription. It is a cinch to plot or edit a route and it puts the map and turn by turn directions onto my Garmin 520.
Old 07-13-19, 06:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I just finished a five week bike tour. At times I used the routing my GPS (Garmin 64, Cycle Tour option, minimize ascent option) provided, but for planning I also used the Android App Komoot.

The Komoot app (I used free version) could give me elevation plots, etc. That came in handy in my route planning as I could assess not just distance, but also elevation, where the big hills were, etc. This app for planning had to be on-line.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US

But almost every day, I deviated from a recommended route when the GPS or Komoot wanted to take my on some weird loop to avoid what turned out to be a perfectly good road.

Having the Maps.Me app on your Android phone with the maps loaded for the area can also come in handy, that you can use off-line. I do not find their bike routing to be very good, but when my GPS or Komoot were having difficulty finding what looked like a good route, I often checked Maps.Me (free version) as another option.

I have also used the web version of Komoot on my computer with large screen at home, that helped me fine tune routing, etc.
https://www.komoot.com/plan

I am a little perturbed with the Maps.Me app. Several years ago I paid for lifetime ad-fee usage, but they changed their policy to subscription, and they no longer provide me with the lifetime of ad-free usage that I paid for. But that is off topic.

Bottom line, I find that there is no perfect routing method. Sometimes having a paper map in hand can be a good aid.