Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Affordable titanium custom frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 03:38 PM
oddicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone I have been searching a bit maniacally for a new titanium road bike. I want the geometry to be aggressive, but not all the way up to a 78 degree seat post like a full up tri/tt frame. This has lead me down the path of custom Ti frames. Not a cheap path. Litespeed, Dean, Guru, are all way up there in price for the custom jobs.

After searching a bit I have found a number of alternates that have much better pricing and seem to have great products. The only bad part is that it's a bit hard to find any reviews and or feedback as to the build quality and customer service.

So if anyone has opinions on the following frame builders I would love to hear them.

Habanero bikes
www.habcycles.com/
I have emailed them and they seem really nice and very helpful. The frame seems to be made overseas but the owner keeps a very keen watch over them so QC is extremely high, so I am told. The designs appear to be no nonsense extremely well made rides. I love the name. Good prices.

Everti
https://www.evertibikes.com/
maybe a bit more slick design, fancy tube shapes and all. I'm not sure where their frames are made. Good prices, maybe they are on the upper end of this list, but the price kind of shows in their presentation.

Soulbikes
https://www.bikesoul.com/
another really interesting company making ti bikes. Their products look great, the welds look pretty and they build wheels and other components as well. But again, there is a lack of reviews. These guys are the most affordable, but the furthest away. Should I be concerned about customer service? So if anyone out there has any opinion or info on these companies it would be a great help.
Old 01-08-07, 03:42 PM
Naidu
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Habanero Road Team Issue frame. Like you said, a no nonsense frame made in China for a US-based company. Frame was delivered on time and the owner and staff were very prompt with their responses. No quality problems at all.
Old 01-08-07, 03:47 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seems to me that low-end Ti frames are all over-built to accommodate cheaper, less labor intensive manufacturing techniques. Overbuilt = harsher and heavier, thus negating most of the claimed benefits of Ti vs. aluminum. Depending on exactly what you're after, you might get a better performing custom frame for the price if you go with steel instead of Ti.
Old 01-08-07, 03:52 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Everti are built in Russia. Russians have a lot of experience with Ti (most of it is mined and processed there).

how aggressive? 71-72 degree seat tubes are often standard at some companies.

Lynskey's prices are pretty good.

Last edited by DocRay; 01-09-07 at 03:12 PM.

Old 01-08-07, 04:02 PM
rbrsddn

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are Airborne still making frames?
Old 01-08-07, 04:05 PM
darkmother
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a custom Habanero CX frame that I use primarily as a road bike with MTB trail rides thrown in for good measure. I couldn't be happier with the frame-it makes me smile every time I throw a leg over it. The finish and welds are at least as clean as those on my Litespeed, and Mark Hickey, the owner, worked hard to make sure I got exactly what I wanted-super nice guy too. I'd buy another Habanero in a heartbeat.

The frame has also held up to several severe crashes and 15 000 km of riding with no problems.
Old 01-08-07, 04:18 PM
Naidu
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Everti is built in Richmond, BC.
Though the company is based in BC, I think the frames are built overseas (Russia, if I remember right).
Old 01-08-07, 04:21 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can vouch for Dean... they built me exactly what I requested (and it wasn't even close to a standard sizing), no problems at all. Except the wait, but I can look past that, now that I have the frame.

I've heard pretty good things about Habanero, too, from guys on the forum. Search for some ride reviews.

And in my opinion, it is worth the extra money to go with a smaller, custom builder from the states... at least for Ti frames. To each his own...
Old 01-08-07, 04:21 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
excel is clearing out '06 merlin cr frames for $1,300

about as "affordable" as nice titanium frames get

Last edited by Serpico; 01-08-07 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 04:22 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Seems to me that low-end Ti frames are all over-built to accommodate cheaper, less labor intensive manufacturing techniques. Overbuilt = harsher and heavier, thus negating most of the claimed benefits of Ti vs. aluminum. Depending on exactly what you're after, you might get a better performing custom frame for the price if you go with steel instead of Ti.
exactly, but these guys want to be able to tell their pals "titanium". so they buy these mongoose/diamondback/ti sports frames that are... anyway.
Old 01-08-07, 04:33 PM
oddicon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, great info guys. I hadn't thought about the overbuilding thing. Who of the smaller builders would you all say builds in the most lean way?

Also I have heard that 6/4 ti isn't as good as the 3/2.5 mix, some bike shop was reporting a significant amount of 6/4 frames failing.
Old 01-08-07, 04:39 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddicon
Wow, great info guys. I hadn't thought about the overbuilding thing. Who of the smaller builders would you all say builds in the most lean way?

Also I have heard that 6/4 ti isn't as good as the 3/2.5 mix, some bike shop was reporting a significant amount of 6/4 frames failing.
It's all in the builder! Anyone good, can build what you want... "lean" "beefy" "stiff"

Desalvo and Dean (and Matt Chester used to) build some nice bikes. Lots of other builders out there, and its really hard to choose when the time comes.
Old 01-08-07, 05:47 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think small builders are going to be out of your price range, at least compared to the 3 you have listed. Most of the names batting around here - deSalvo, Linskey, Strong, - are all going to be darn close to $2000+ for a 3/2 frame.

I think "some bike shops" are feeding you a line of BS. 6/4 frames do not fail significantly more frequently than 3/2 frames. There must be a million Litespeeds and Moots on the road and I don't think they have a reputation for failing commonly. Pricing alone would suggest that this a myth given that 6/4 typically commands a 25-50% premium.
Old 01-08-07, 05:54 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Affordable, Titanium, Custom. Pick one.
Old 01-08-07, 05:56 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by terry b
I think small builders are going to be out of your price range, at least compared to the 3 you have listed. Most of the names batting around here - deSalvo, Linskey, Strong, - are all going to be darn close to $2000+ for a 3/2 frame.

I think "some bike shops" are feeding you a line of BS. 6/4 frames do not fail significantly more frequently than 3/2 frames. There must be a million Litespeeds and Moots on the road and I don't think they have a reputation for failing commonly. Pricing alone would suggest that this a myth given that 6/4 typically commands a 25-50% premium.
Indeed, failure has way more to do with correct welds and heat treatments than the slight differences between 6/4 and 3/2.5.
Old 01-08-07, 07:06 PM
greenstork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd check out Davidson bikes in Seattle, they do absolutely beautiful work and you can find a custom Ti frame around $2K or at least in the low $2000 range. I certainly wouldn't call it affordable, but it is on the low end of most Ti custom manufacturers. Maybe I'm partial because the Davidson home shop is my LBS but given the choice between any Ti manufacturer, I'd choose them.
Old 01-08-07, 07:07 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, built in 2004. About $2200 for double butted 3/2 and a nice pearl paint job. Great bike.
Old 01-08-07, 08:56 PM
oddicon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ElJamoquio,

when i say affordable I guess I mean sub 2000 or so for the custom frame. The Guru Svelt Ti I was originally looking at came in around 4k for the complete custom bike. A bit more than I want to spend, but it's a nice kit and the company is very reputable, and it's through my LBS.

I am also now realizing that I might be able to get away with a stock frame so long as the cockpit is short. I am 5'10" with long limbs and would like to be able to eventually put some arrow bars for a triathlon I am working up to in september. My ideal frame size would be a 57cm but with a shorter reach. My search continues, thanks everyone for your recommendations!
Old 01-08-07, 09:53 PM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try jade cycles. I belive they are TST made to their specs and can do custom for $1400ish if I recall. Nice US Sandvick Ti tubing.
Old 01-08-07, 10:10 PM
jjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dean has compact frames in 1cm size steps. Gives you standover height with tube length you need.

Jay
Old 01-08-07, 11:00 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpico
exactly, but these guys want to be able to tell their pals "titanium". so they buy these mongoose/diamondback/ti sports frames that are... anyway.
I rode a TST built "Mongoose" Ti frame for two years and loved every second. The frame was built stout with a large 1-1/2" down tube so the bottom bracket area did not wag around. The ride was indeed firm, but I'd rather have it that way than have a loose feeling bottom bracket - you can't have it both ways.
Old 01-08-07, 11:07 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same TST frame that Nessism had, it's welds are amazing (see avatar) and it rides beautifully.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force

Last edited by blandin; 01-08-07 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 11:24 PM
lynch.cr

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2c, 2015 Niner BSB 9 RDO, 2006 Scott Speedster S30

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Are Airborne still making frames?
They are but they are making them under the name Flyte
https://www.flyte1.com
Old 01-08-07, 11:50 PM
kirbyx

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Buy a second hand ti frame. They don't fatigue... no crash/bend = great frame... you can find them for less than a thousand including fork. I bought a Seven, seatpost and Seven fork for 1100, and it's as near as dammit new and absutively fab.

Last edited by kirbyx; 01-09-07 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-09-07, 12:59 AM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a site that would list most of your Ti manufactures:

https://www.cyclinglinks.co.uk/index....+Manufacturers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.