Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LBS rant. Do all women have this problem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LBS rant. Do all women have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 08:16 PM
bmfsiii

Bikes: 94 Trek 2300, 07 Krestrel Evoke-warrantied out, 09 Kestrel Evoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Your sentiments are all very nice and we all may wish it so, but its not. Go get some professional sales training and get back to us.

A good salesperson will not treat all customers the same. A salesperson is wasting valuable time if they treat all customers the same. Your job is to make money for the business, not "service customers".

This is not to say that anyone should be treated disrespectfully, but some people deserve more time than others. Its just reality. A good salesperson can quickly determine who is who.

-Z
Dino, I got that advice from the Regional Manager of the company I work for many moons ago, and it still holds true to this day. Also I discovered long ago, that you can not pre judge a customer by the way the look and or dress. If you do this you will wind upmissing some sales and or leaving money on the table.

Yes a good sales person will treat all customers the same. The same way they want to be treated, whether they are buying today, or are just looking and have some questions about the item(s). By providing customer service, you are making money for the business, because with out customers, you have No Money and you have No Business.

Last edited by bmfsiii; 08-25-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 08:55 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Chip, chip, chip, haven't you learned anything?
Yesterday I learned how to eat sushi with my feet, does that count?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-26-07, 10:51 AM
musician
cracked

Bikes: 07 Felt F5C, 93 Bridgeston MB-3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
... Daily I am expected to succinctly answer or perform all of the following:

-Greet every customer that comes through the door, but instantaneously read that person without judgement and assess whether that is exactly what they expect, whether they will perceive my greeting as being "sales accosted" leading to a defensive posture, and phrase it in such a way that cannot in any way, shape or form be taken as demeaning, patronizing, overly familiar, underly familiar, sexist, racist, discriminating, politically incorrect or disrespectful of any way that a person can be differentiated.

this post from back on page 2 of this thread was really well done, very perceptive.

we are blessed with a great LBS here, and I'd say the staff does all you describe pretty well! my wife is a regular customer (usually we go in separately), and is always treated well. there's only one woman on the LBS staff, though. but all the male staffers treat every customer right that i've seen.