Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this bike be upgraded?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 04:48 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

I have a friend with an old Cannondale "12-speed" that he says he bought in the early 90s. He'd like to get it back on the road -- maybe upgraded -- but his budget is basically $0. After upgrading my own bike, I will have a complete set of wheels and drivetrain from my '06 Specialized Sequoia: basically a complete Sora/Tiagra 3x8-speed setup.

I was going to spend some time on eBay with my parts, but now I really would like to help this guy out by just giving it all to him if it will work on his bike. He doesn't have the tools or skills to do the work, so I'll be doing that also.

I haven't had a chance to see the bike yet, but does anyone know the chances that my parts will fit? The main thing I'm concerned about is the BB shell compatibility and the dropout width for the hubs. I assume that those are the main things that would keep me from getting my components onto his frame.
Old 11-05-07, 06:39 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
We need more information than just a name and speed of bike. The below information is a guess of what Cannondale "12-speed" means 2x6? Steel? Al?

BB shell (most likely the same ) and dropout width is the least of your problems. I'd be thinking more about brake reach - and whether or not the bike has a hanger for an RD (if not you'll have to replace brakes and RD). Some nice, focused big pictures of the bikes would be helpful if you don't actually know anything about the C'Dale. If you have access to the bike, compatibility can be easily checkd.
Old 11-05-07, 06:55 AM
barba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale would imply an aluminum frame. If it was built to accommodate a 6 speed hub, you are probably not going to be able to fit an 8 speed hub. If it was steel you could bend it a bit to fit, but aluminum will not do it.
Old 11-05-07, 07:13 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Cannondale, until very recently, was always aluminum.

The bottom bracket threading will be English so you should have no threading incompatibility there.

The rear dropout spacing on his bike is likely to be 126 mm and your 8-speed hub will be 130 so it's going to be a tight fit. You can't safely cold-set an Al frame and the Cannondales were quite stiff so fitting the new wheel will be possible but a struggle.

If you can fit the rear wheel in place without it being too difficult, your Sora/Tiagra components should be fine. One possible problem is the front derailleur's clamp diameter may not match.

I can't imagine a Cannondale without a derailleur hanger as part of the rear dropout so that's a non-issue too.

Brake reach is a possible problem and the Cannondale may have 27" wheels but I think that's unlikely.

Basic advice: try everything first and only replace what absolutely won't work.
Old 11-05-07, 06:09 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I told you just what the guy told me, which wasn't much. I'll have to run down to his house to take a look, but these replies at least tell me what I should look for. It may simply not be feasible, but maybe all the bike needs is a good tuneup.

This is really for a guy who's down on his luck a bit, and I was trying to help him out as much as I could. But there might be something else that I can do for him to get him back on his bike.
Old 11-05-07, 10:17 PM
thechamp
loser

Bikes: steyr, lejeune, schwinn, sears, crescent, blah blah blah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no reason to replace things on his bike that don't need replacing. You don't need stis or 18 speeds to get back on a bike.

I think you're on the right track with a tuneup and maybe some new cables, tubes, and tires. That'll run you thirty bucks minimum. I'd think you'd be better off selling your parts and wheelset (or maybe trade at a local shop) and buying him any necessary parts - used. See if he rides it before spending your money (or parts) on his bike. You might save yourself some disappointment in the long run.

There's plenty of us guys around riding old parts quite happily, so long as the bike is safe to ride, that should be enough to get him started... Unless you just feel like giving this guy your money.

Last edited by thechamp; 11-05-07 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-05-07, 10:52 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say just upgrade to 7 speed. Nashbar sells some nice 105 DT shifters for $8 and a new freewheel will run about $20. 7 is plenty of gears. Some fresh bar tape and Tektro R200/cane creek scr 5 levers and you will be golden.
Old 11-05-07, 11:54 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
+1 on thechamp's advice.

Cannondales are well-built bikes. And there's no reason to upgrade for its own sake.
I still have my original 1980 steel sport tourer in its as-is equipment spec. 12 spd Ultra-6 on a Campy Record 5-spd hub. No SIS, 27" wheels, etc. I keep it tuned and fresh rubber to roll on. It gets more attention than a CF weight weinie's bike.

You mentioned, he's broke and doesn't have the know-how to upgrade. If he's depressed, it's time to make him start the road to recovery by doing this tune up himself. It's constructive and will build confidence. Been there, done that. It takes oneself to pull oneself out of a hole.
Old 11-06-07, 12:32 AM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
We need more information than just a name and speed of bike. The below information is a guess of what Cannondale "12-speed" means 2x6? Steel? Al?

BB shell (most likely the same ) and dropout width is the least of your problems. I'd be thinking more about brake reach - and whether or not the bike has a hanger for an RD (if not you'll have to replace brakes and RD). Some nice, focused big pictures of the bikes would be helpful if you don't actually know anything about the C'Dale. If you have access to the bike, compatibility can be easily checkd.
when has 12 speed ever meant 3x4, or 1x12? oh, wait. maybe it's one of the ultra-rare bikes with six chainrings in the front and two cogs in the back!