Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about Basso Gap frames

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-18-08, 03:05 PM
osmium

Bikes: 3 Woodrup Star Trophy models, Bianchi Pista, Ochsner, Rockhopper, Puch Mistral Leader, Mercian Touring, Bridgestone XO-2, Basso Gap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Have a quick question. I have a Basso Gap road frame. I am assume it is a mid 90s model. It is a lugged frame with custom slx tubing (I think. I don't have it in front of me right now). The curious thing is that the doesn't have a forged fork crown. The fork arms are welded on the steerer. Anybody have any ideas how old this is? Do other Gap frames have welded fork arms?? Just curious. I'll try and post pictures later.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 03-18-08, 10:01 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might try posting in the Classic & Vintage forum as well.

Basso has used the name "Gap" to designate many models over the years, in honor of Marino Basso's victory in the 1972 World Championship Road Race in Gap, France. That model might be from the mid 80's through the mid 90's or so, but it's hard to say without more details.

Are you sure that's the original fork, or is it perhaps an aftermarket one? I had a Basso with a lugged fork crown, but it was on the Ascot model with Columbus MS tubing.
Old 03-19-08, 12:46 AM
osmium

Bikes: 3 Woodrup Star Trophy models, Bianchi Pista, Ochsner, Rockhopper, Puch Mistral Leader, Mercian Touring, Bridgestone XO-2, Basso Gap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gap frame

Hi,

Here are some pictures. The tubing is 25 Chromo4sx. Any thoughts anyone?

Roland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0319080205.jpg (49.3 KB, 15 views)
0319080204a.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
0319080204.jpg (49.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-19-08, 03:32 AM
skinny

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This type of crown you describe was called a unicrown, and was an intermediate step in the process of eliminating fixtures and manufacturing steps in the construction of a bicycle frame. The fork crown was eliminated, but the design never truly achieved it's goal of eliminating a manufacturing step like tig welding did because the fork blades still had to be formed into a curve or radius at the intersection of the steerer tube and blade to be mitered and welded to the crown, ergo adding a step in the process. It may have been a smidgin lighter than a fork with a crown, but not much. The design was used and still is used on steel forks of all levels of quality, from cheapest to highest quality. Here is an example of the same fork design on a top of the line Bianchi that is a replica of the bike Gianni Bugno used.
Attached Images
BUGUNO 071.jpg (18.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by skinny; 03-19-08 at 06:29 AM.