Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Le'ts build a wheelset

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 10:04 AM
darksiderising

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Le'ts build a wheelset

Hi all,

I am new to cyclocross but have owned my Soma DoubleCross for a couple of years, using it as a touring bike, commuter, and alternate road bike. I have recently fallen in love with offroad riding on it, and would truly appreciate your input on hub/rim/spoke recommendations.

I'm going with clincher for maximum versatility, and want a light, strong wheelset that will hopefully last me many years. I ride a Cannondale F3 mountain bike occasionally and have been impressed with the strength of the stock wheels. Should I expect a nicely built set of wheels to last a long time riding cross? I probably won't be racing, but the park that I mostly ride has some pretty bumpy sections.

Making my bike look good is also a factor. The bike is black with gold and orange lettering. I want the wheels to match somehow. I think I am going to try to minimize the silver on the bike when I get an actual cross crankset.

Here's what I have in mind so far:
-Gold Chris King Classic Cross Hubs
-Orange Velocity Dyad rims
-Black D/B Spokes (I've had good experience with Wheelsmith but want to try out DT Swiss)
-Gold Spoke Nipples

I am considering swapping the gold and orange colors, or maybe even replacing the orange with black so as not to risk having a Halloween bike. This is all just some initial brainstorming.

Thanks for your input. Here's the bike:

Useful specs:
-rear spacing is 132.5, so both 130 and 135 fit equally well.
-rim brake only

EDIT: and maybe a moderator can fix the awful apostrophe location in my title. Thanks!

Last edited by darksiderising; 09-20-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 11:57 AM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Frankly that color combo sounds hideous to me, far too garish for what's a pretty unassuming bike. I'd lose the colored rims at the least. Just my opinion.
Old 09-20-08, 03:22 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The component brands are solid.

You'll have loud wheels. Blingy colors, plus Chris King angry bees noise. Are you really, really fast? If you're not, then I'd pull it back a bit, because those wheels are screaming for attention.
Old 09-20-08, 04:07 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess color is a personal choice. Dyad's are fine, but I might go with a nice deep section rim like an IRD cadence, which is strong and light. You could also try some Sapim Xray spokes if you dont mind dropping the cash. As long as you dont go scary light on the rims and make sure whoever builds the wheels knows what they are doing then you should be fine.

Using wheels with cross tires will make any wheel "stronger" due to the fact that you have so much more wheel protection due to the large volume of air.
Old 09-20-08, 04:49 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
These are Mavic CXP-22 Double-Wall Rims and DT Doubled Butted Champion Spokes, Felt Precision Sealed-Bearing Hubs, Kenda Cyclocross tires. The frame is the new DC model in Midnght Silver.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-20-08, 08:17 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about it and maybe black rims would be better, especially if the wheels find themselves on another bike. Besides, Velocity Dyad rims only come in black or silver.

An important clarification of mindset: I really don't care if I am slow when my bike is flashy. I don't think that colors make anyone faster.

Anyone else want to comment on the Velocity Dyad rims? I love Velocity wheels. They can take whatever spoke tension you want to get them up to and they are beautifully crafted.

Originally Posted by jonestr
You could also try some Sapim Xray spokes if you dont mind dropping the cash.
What do you like about these spokes?
Old 09-21-08, 01:57 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Dyads are made for touring. They'll be fine. Cyclocross you can get away with Deep Vs if you want, judging from the bikes in the picture thread that's what people roll on.
Old 09-21-08, 03:00 AM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darksiderising
I've been thinking about it and maybe black rims would be better, especially if the wheels find themselves on another bike. Besides, Velocity Dyad rims only come in black or silver.

An important clarification of mindset: I really don't care if I am slow when my bike is flashy. I don't think that colors make anyone faster.

Anyone else want to comment on the Velocity Dyad rims? I love Velocity wheels. They can take whatever spoke tension you want to get them up to and they are beautifully crafted.

What do you like about these spokes?
These are supposedly the strongest, lightest spokes going. Even DH racers use them. They are 3 bucks a pop and you will find them on tons of high end wheelsets. Sorry I had a typo as they are CX ray.
Old 09-21-08, 05:03 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
What size frame is that Soma? Looks nice.

Thanks,

Eric

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
These are Mavic CXP-22 Double-Wall Rims and DT Doubled Butted Champion Spokes, Felt Precision Sealed-Bearing Hubs, Kenda Cyclocross tires. The frame is the new DC model in Midnght Silver.

Old 09-21-08, 12:27 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by seat_boy
What size frame is that Soma? Looks nice.

Thanks,

Eric
It's a 60. That head tube still surprises me
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-21-08, 02:20 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
I was attracted by that head tube! I have a mile of spacers on my Gunnar's fork, which has always looked kind of odd. If I may ask, how tall and what inseam are you?

BTW, to the original poster, sorry for this OT side conversation! I think orange with gold would look pretty bad, myself, but to each his own.

Eric

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's a 60. That head tube still surprises me
Old 09-21-08, 03:19 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

I'm 6 foot. My inseam (barefoot, from the floor to crotch) is 34.5 inches.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-21-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-21-08, 05:26 PM
gitzit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love those Somas. I really think many other companies could learn to use the slightly taller headtubes so you don't end up with a huge stack of spacers. Keep us posted Barrett when that one is done.
Old 09-21-08, 05:41 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano Mtb hubs are a good alternative hub. They are cheap, serviceable and very reliable. I have three sets in use for doing the things you plan on doing, and have had no problems so far. As for rims, you might think about rim width. Mavic and Velocity rims go from 13mm width (e.g. Open Pro) to 19mm width (e.g. A319). If you are planning on running 28/32mm tyres, you would be better off with wider rims like the A319. As such, it would be my choice for this build unless I could come across one of the rare 17mm wide rims. I might not go for alloy nipples if I were worried about rounding them off.
Old 09-21-08, 06:11 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Mavic and Velocity rims go from 13mm width (e.g. Open Pro) to 19mm width (e.g. A319). If you are planning on running 28/32mm tyres, you would be better off with wider rims like the A319.
Are you referring to the inside width of the rim wall?

Last edited by darksiderising; 09-21-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-21-08, 06:19 PM
rOOster14
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that is the wheelset im going to build, san's the colors, but im going to use the deep v instead of the dyad...i say go for it.
Old 09-21-08, 06:28 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rOOster14
that is the wheelset im going to build, san's the colors, but im going to use the deep v instead of the dyad...i say go for it.
Are you using the Deep Vs for pure strength or is there another factor in your decision. Are you concerned at all about the width of the Deep V? It's only 21mm wide on the outside. I may be looking at the Aerohead instead of the Dyad.
Old 09-21-08, 08:27 PM
rOOster14
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i def. wouldnt do the aerohead.
my thoughts were of pure strength, a lot of it comes by way of my boss' advice as he is an extremely competent and experienced wheel builder and uses the velocity line quite often.
Old 09-21-08, 09:27 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have a set of older shimano XT hubs laced up to salsa delgado cross rims with ritchey (DTswiss with a ritchey logo) DB spokes, 32hole. been riding those trouble free for the last 4 years, toured with 40lbs of gear on and off-road on them, rode trails, rallied, trained, and crashed HARD (wheel turned sideways at 20-25ish on a downhill, sending me into a ravine) a couple times where i thought the front would be tacoed but it came out okay, still had even tension and nary a millimeter out of true.

for bang to buck on an all around wheelset, i'd do XTs on salsa's again in a heartbeat. very reliable, quick, no muss, no fuss build, and a very versatile wheelset with super serviceable hubs.
Old 09-22-08, 02:58 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by darksiderising
Are you referring to the inside width of the rim wall?
Yep.
Old 09-22-08, 05:56 PM
rOOster14
anything but last

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
any decisions as of yet?
Old 09-23-08, 11:18 AM
pfwitucki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
i have a set of older shimano XT hubs laced up to salsa delgado cross rims with ritchey (DTswiss with a ritchey logo) DB spokes, 32hole. been riding those trouble free for the last 4 years, toured with 40lbs of gear on and off-road on them, rode trails, rallied, trained, and crashed HARD (wheel turned sideways at 20-25ish on a downhill, sending me into a ravine) a couple times where i thought the front would be tacoed but it came out okay, still had even tension and nary a millimeter out of true.

for bang to buck on an all around wheelset, i'd do XTs on salsa's again in a heartbeat. very reliable, quick, no muss, no fuss build, and a very versatile wheelset with super serviceable hubs.
I'll second this. I've ridden them pretty hard - cross races and some "mtb" races - and haven't needed much truing at all. And they look pretty good with the black spokes.

On the downside, they're a little heavy, and the rims are wide - precluding any tires narrower than 28mm.
Old 09-23-08, 08:22 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with aerohead rims in rough stuff? I see that someone recommended against them. Does anyone have any actual experience? The Aeroheads are relatively deep, compared to many wheelsets.
Old 09-23-08, 08:36 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I think I have decided on White Industries hubs instead of the Chris King. They are much cheaper and are still high quality. I am uncertain, however, if I should get the 130 spaced rear road hub or the 135 spaced rear mountain hub. The mountain hub is supposed to be more beefy, but I couldn't transfer the wheelset to an aluminum road or cross bike with 130 rear spacing. Do you think that road hub should be ok?
Old 09-24-08, 10:50 AM
rOOster14
anything but last

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what about some DT swiss rims?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.