Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommend a bike for me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommend a bike for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 01:05 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Recommend a bike for me

I grew up on Peugot XP-10's, and cheaper 70's Motobecanes (Nomade Sprint, Super Mirage). A few years ago I bought a Novara Trionfo ('07 model) to help with fitness. It has an AL6 frame and carbon fork, a little on the heavy side. I added a SRAM Rival crankset and ensured the Gruppo was all-Ultegra (2008ish Ultegra).

To make a boring story shorter, I had some serious things happen and now biking is my best bet to be active. I ride flat routes on the Trionfo, usually between 28 and 45 miles, avg. around 17-19 mph. This is about 4-5 times a week, FWIW. Also FWIW, I'm a pretty good bike handler (former athlete in other sports, recovering from spinal injury and seizure).

I think I want a new bike. I say "I think," because I have not ridden tons of road bikes. That Trionfo's the nicest bike I've ridden.

I could probably scare up about $1,500. I think I want an all-carbon frame, because I like going fast(er). It's my joy in riding - I'm a speed guy. I know 105's are 'nice,' but my wife's bike has a 105 Gruppo and it feels less-nice to me than my aging Ultegras.

Pro's Closet has some really wonderful used bikes at decent prices, it seems.

But really, my knowledge is not only thin but out of date, and I don't want to basically get a meaningless carbon replica of the Trionfo.

Any response truly appreciated.
Old 08-30-18, 01:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your favorite bike shop, where you live, sells what brand lines of bikes?
Old 08-30-18, 01:49 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The weight savings from a carbon bike does not matter much, less so on flat ground as you describe.

$1500 will get you an entry level carbon bike if buying new.

I would personally recommend not buying a used CF bike you can't even look at let alone test ride.

Maybe rent some new bikes and give them a test run before committing $1500. See if you are actually missing anything. Otherwise if you're stuck on a CF bike maybe save a little more or wait for a nice one to pop up locally.
Old 08-30-18, 02:34 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Visit your local bike shop and go from there.
Old 08-30-18, 03:21 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Based upon the injuries you are recovering from, I'd look to an endurance type bike with comfort in mind. Domane/Roubaix type with some shock/vibration dampening has kept my back happy, but they quickly bust the budget you mentioned. The ability to run 32mm or larger tires also goes a long way towards a smoother ride. Don't overlook some of the gravel bikes as many are well appointed and offer the ability to handle 40mm or wider tires. I share your preference for the Ultegra group, but had I never ridden one I'd not have known better than 105. Definitely rent a few different bikes and try them if available in your area.
Old 08-30-18, 05:44 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Nothing wrong with 105. The Fuji Transonic is on sale for $1200. They also have the Fuji SL 3.2 w/ Ultegra for $1300.

Save Up To 60% Off Carbon Road Bikes - New Fuji Transonic 2.3, Full Carbon AERO Road Bikes with Shimano 105 22 Speeds+ Aero Fast Wheelsets

Old 08-30-18, 07:15 PM
Danhedonia

I really appreciate it.

I recently posted (perhaps here, maybe somewhere else, can't remember) that here in Albuquerque, there are no LBS's with road stock. The exception is Performance, and the entirety of their road stock (all sizes, all configs including gravel, hybrid, etc.) is about 30 bikes. Of which 25 are Fuji, 5 Kestrel. REI no longer stocks road bikes, and High Desert and other LBS's don't stock road bikes.
I don't mind shopping - if I could, I probably wouldn't have even posted.
Guess what I'm really asking is, "is it worth it to spend a weekend in Denver or San Francisco looking at bikes if I won't part with more than $2k?" I know how subjective that is, but then, I also know how much I don't know.

I am carefully looking into the things people were kind enough to suggest.
One question - is my idea of looking at used bikes from the Pro's Closet a bad one? They're in Boulder. I thought I might go up and try some out, but I think I saw something on their website which said "don't bother, all the bikes are already disassembled and packed."
Any thoughts on this? I'm not stuck on a "never been clamped" virgin bike.
Just want to know if I spend $1.5-2k (a serious amount to me since my share of my seizure is about 10k and rising) if I can look forward to a better ride?
Old 08-30-18, 07:15 PM
Danhedonia

Also, yes, I realize that I'm not going to be riding in a hard tuck position, unless I'd like another exciting ride to the Emergency Room of not my choice.
Old 08-31-18, 12:22 AM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are a couple of $2K mail-order bikes that look pretty appealing. Carbon frame & 105 disc on the Canyon(says free shipping for what Canyon has in stock.) Ultegra without disc on the Motobecane and you'd have to settle for a titanium frame(Free shipping from Bikes Direct. I have a decade old version of the Le Champion titanium, but the frame has changed quite a bit since then.)

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...cf-sl-disc-7-0

Save Up To 60% Off Titanium Shimano Ultegra Road Bikes | Ultegra R8000 Titanium Road Bikes | Roadbikes - Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti

Last edited by Pendergast; 08-31-18 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 03:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
These threads always end up with the same question---what Don't you like about your current bike .... and what Do you like? What does it do well, what do you wish ti did better?

You can get quite a nice bike for $2K ... but how much nicer will it be than the one you own? Who knows?

While you are answering that ... go to whatever bike shops you can find and find What Sizes Fit.

Mail-order works great if A.) the place has an awesome return policy if you got the wrong size or B.) you go the the right size.

So ... figure out where you are in the general size continuum. That way, when you read a geometry chart, you will have some idea how that particular bike with fit You.

Also, I'd measure all the relevant dimensions of that Trionfo, as a reference.

Also ... a lighter bike is Not faster, unless you ride exclusively uphill. I prefer light bikes because they feel Great when I take them down off the hanger .... "Wow, that is So light ... " but once on the road, they all ride similarly ... geometry and tires width and pressure make more of an immediate difference in feel, IMO. So if you save a pound or three off the Trionfo, it might not translate into any miles per hour, depending on the terrain you ride. You still might like it more ....

I would recommend the best-equipped Fuji Grand Fondo you could afford .... or the best-equipped endurance-geometry BikesDirect bike .... because the tiny difference is riding position between a more forward, short-head-tube racy frame and a more relaxed, back-weighted endurance frame Might make a difference for a person with a back injury. But you can probably get almost the same riding position with a similarly sized, racier frame, if you are willing to get a little extreme with stem, seat post, spacers and bars.

I would further suggest that you test-ride Every bike in the available bike store (s) that is (are) close to your size, to get a feel for how size and geometry affect you and affect ride and feel. Then, if you find something that really works, you can buy it or find other bikes that duplicate the dimensions.

Beyond that ... I don't really know what you want, nor how you like what you have, or what you hope for .... I will imagine that the right bike will find its way to you eventually.
Old 08-31-18, 03:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you are only going to buy a bike you can personally test ride then you're going to be limited obviously. I can look at the frame geometry, frame material, how it's built, ect and pretty much figure out how it's going to ride and fit. Going in circles in a parking lot won't tell me much more and I don't know of any shops who will let you take one of their bikes on an actual ride. But everyone is different.
Old 08-31-18, 04:52 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Situations differ when trying to buy, for sure. If you can afford the travel for a weekend to try bikes as you describe...make sure the target shops have the bike(s) you want to test available (AND that they will be open...my go to LBS is closed on Sat).

I guess I was lucky in that regard as one shop 30mi from me had a Roubaix rental that I rode for a weekend...another shop nearer my home handed over a Domane and I took it for a couple hours of shakedown over the same roads I regularly ride (and had ridden the Roubaix on). Helped me make the decision.

((In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on a Bike Direct endurance Ti frame with 105 and above components...would have been cheaper and I'd likely have been just as comfortable and happy. There's truth in the comments that after you've studied bikes a while, you begin to pick out the differences and things you are looking for.))

Happy hunting!

Last edited by Stormsedge; 08-31-18 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 05:05 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I really appreciate it.

I recently posted (perhaps here, maybe somewhere else, can't remember) that here in Albuquerque, there are no LBS's with road stock. The exception is Performance, and the entirety of their road stock (all sizes, all configs including gravel, hybrid, etc.) is about 30 bikes. Of which 25 are Fuji, 5 Kestrel. REI no longer stocks road bikes, and High Desert and other LBS's don't stock road bikes.
I don't mind shopping - if I could, I probably wouldn't have even posted.
Guess what I'm really asking is, "is it worth it to spend a weekend in Denver or San Francisco looking at bikes if I won't part with more than $2k?" I know how subjective that is, but then, I also know how much I don't know.

I am carefully looking into the things people were kind enough to suggest.
One question - is my idea of looking at used bikes from the Pro's Closet a bad one? They're in Boulder. I thought I might go up and try some out, but I think I saw something on their website which said "don't bother, all the bikes are already disassembled and packed."
Any thoughts on this? I'm not stuck on a "never been clamped" virgin bike.
Just want to know if I spend $1.5-2k (a serious amount to me since my share of my seizure is about 10k and rising) if I can look forward to a better ride?
Its always worth your time to spend a weekend looking at bikes. If nothing else, just to look. I go into LBS on regular ocassions. Just to look, see what's new..etc..etc...
Old 08-31-18, 03:57 PM
Danhedonia

What a great forum. These are helpful posts, even though I know how common (and likely frustratingly repetitive) my request was.

I actually like the Trionfo, but don't love it. It feels sluggish at times. Also, when I bought it, I stupidly talked myself into a 54cm frame even though I knew better. It's just the teeniest bit short on the top tube, although the relaxed geometry is otherwise a good fit.

So I guess I want a little more space in the cockpit, and twitchier handling. I also am guessing (though I'm too inexperienced to know for sure) that the power transfer isn't that great. Then again, the most sluggish thing about the Trionfo is absolutely the rider.

I have a ludicrous amount of FF miles from a past life, so I can kind of wander off where I want.

Anyhow, it's clear I need to go down to Performance and see if they'll let me test ride a Fuji.
Old 09-03-18, 03:33 AM
Ritalalala

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check this article out, maybe you will need it, exactly what you want, but it has an aluminum wheelset.
https://icancycling.com/blogs/articl...ad-bike-taurus
I prefer the carbon wheel, I actually want to recommend this one for you, but your budget is limited.
ICAN Carbon Road Bike AERO 007: The Inspiring Ride - About Carbon Bikes, Carbon Wheelset and frame
Old 09-03-18, 05:48 AM
Cl904

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
What about finding a good steel frame and update it with modern components? Best of both worlds.
Old 09-03-18, 06:25 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritalalala
Check this article out, maybe you will need it, exactly what you want, but it has an aluminum wheelset.
https://icancycling.com/blogs/articl...ad-bike-taurus
"The Carbon Road Bike Taurus comes with a number of impressive features that allow it to achieve incredible speeds."
They are right, I give it no credibility

"The fork is also a carbon fiber built adding no extra weight to the bike. "

No comment on magical bike parts.
Old 09-04-18, 06:38 PM
shine2000

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cant go wrong with walmart
Old 09-05-18, 08:01 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend going to a bike store and avoiding any chains: Walmart, BJ's, Costco, etc.

I would also recommend you get one with two wheels, spokes, a chain, and handle bars. Seats are optional.
Old 09-05-18, 08:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by shine2000
cant go wrong with walmart
Save your receipt.

It will disappoint, and break , then you take it back for a refund..
Old 09-05-18, 12:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Go online. Check performance Bike, check Bikes Direct, check the major manufacturers. Look at what is out there.

A CF biek with 105 or Ultegra might be doable within your budget.

If you feel knowledgeable enough not to get tken, check Craigslist.

First ... decide for sue whether you really want a new bike. Then decide what you want it for---which should determine what features you need.

Then .... look for it.

We might not have to hunt for our dinners every night, but we have eons of hunting bred into us. Find the bike.

Shoot ... you found this site.
Old 05-30-19, 04:30 PM
Danhedonia

Going to revive the semi-zombie thread.

Since last year, the only local bike shop with any road stock (our local Performance branch) has closed. People who live in Albuquerque now have nowhere to view a road bike in person. We have one (ONE!!!) LBS left with knowledgeable wrenches, and they are in demand as well as overpriced.

I am envious of those who can test-ride bicycles; it must be nice.

I rode 1,000+ miles last summer on the Trionfo, and it's a great bike, just too small. I know I need a 56, not a 54, as I rode a friend's 56 and the difference was terrific. Given the medical issues that's significant.

Santa Fe is an easy drive, but everything in that town is marked up 30%, including road bikes.

TLDR: people who don't live in 'major bike cities' often have very little choice when it comes to buying. Bikes Direct looks promising for those who are not fashion-sensitive, but it seems strange to me that there is not an acknowledged leader in terms of online road bike sales.
Old 05-30-19, 05:52 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I grew up on Peugot XP-10's, and cheaper 70's Motobecanes (Nomade Sprint, Super Mirage). A few years ago I bought a Novara Trionfo ('07 model) to help with fitness. It has an AL6 frame and carbon fork, a little on the heavy side. I added a SRAM Rival crankset and ensured the Gruppo was all-Ultegra (2008ish Ultegra).

To make a boring story shorter, I had some serious things happen and now biking is my best bet to be active. I ride flat routes on the Trionfo, usually between 28 and 45 miles, avg. around 17-19 mph. This is about 4-5 times a week, FWIW. Also FWIW, I'm a pretty good bike handler (former athlete in other sports, recovering from spinal injury and seizure).

I think I want a new bike. I say "I think," because I have not ridden tons of road bikes. That Trionfo's the nicest bike I've ridden.

I could probably scare up about $1,500. I think I want an all-carbon frame, because I like going fast(er). It's my joy in riding - I'm a speed guy. I know 105's are 'nice,' but my wife's bike has a 105 Gruppo and it feels less-nice to me than my aging Ultegras.

Pro's Closet has some really wonderful used bikes at decent prices, it seems.

But really, my knowledge is not only thin but out of date, and I don't want to basically get a meaningless carbon replica of the Trionfo.

Any response truly appreciated.
Keep up the great riding. Mileage and speed are outstanding!!
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 05-31-19, 06:28 AM
Maelochs

Going to revive the semi-zombie thread.

Since last year, the only local bike shop with any road stock (our local Performance branch) has closed. People who live in Albuquerque now have nowhere to view a road bike in person. We have one (ONE!!!) LBS left with knowledgeable wrenches, and they are in demand as well as overpriced.

I am envious of those who can test-ride bicycles; it must be nice.

I rode 1,000+ miles last summer on the Trionfo, and it's a great bike, just too small. I know I need a 56, not a 54, as I rode a friend's 56 and the difference was terrific. Given the medical issues that's significant.

Santa Fe is an easy drive, but everything in that town is marked up 30%, including road bikes.

TLDR: people who don't live in 'major bike cities' often have very little choice when it comes to buying. Bikes Direct looks promising for those who are not fashion-sensitive, but it seems strange to me that there is not an acknowledged leader in terms of online road bike sales.
I guess, go to Santa Fe and ride a ton of bikes. If something Really grabs you, buy it. if not, just keep track of what you liked and didn't, and then look at bikes online to find bikes that offer those features.

Endurance frames can feel "sluggish" compared to racier frames because sometimes they have slightly different weight distribution and steering geometry, and sometimes slower tires. Try some--Fuji Gran Fondo, Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, and Trek Domane, for instance---and try some of the racier models--Transonic, Trek Emonda, Spec Tarmac, Cannondale CAAD, Giant TCR. The latter will definitely be twitchier, and stiffer, but therefore less forgiving over little bumps, and you will have to play with stems and spacers and bar dimensions to get out of that racer's crouch.

Dial in what you want in he shop and the parking lot as best you are able ... but if nothing seems like a good deal, you will at least (hopefully) have honed your focus.

Any bike which fits is light-years better than one which does not. And most bikes (unless they already come equipped) can benefit from some lighter, stiffer wheels--though they can get pricey.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-31-19, 07:12 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
No bike shops in Albuquerque? Wow. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...ng_albuquerque
Likes For alloo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.