Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How important is vintage bike weight?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 06:09 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts

I know some bikes get a bad rap because they are heavier than others. But lets say my vintage bike weighs 25 pounds. When I park my butt in the saddle, it suddenly weighs 170. So, going down the road, what matters more? The 1 ounce I saved using drilled brake levers? Or the 12-ounce beer I skipped at lunch? In the final equation, how important is the bike weight, really? For high-end competitors who have leaned themselves out to the max, maybe. But for most of us?
Old 02-24-19, 06:57 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
...not such a big deal. Most decent vintage builds weigh around 21-22 pounds, or maybe 5 pounds more than a $2000-ish new carbon bike. I don't think most riders in most circumstances would notice a 5 pound difference.

On the other hand, last year I lost 30 pounds. Gained some back, but even so I'm much faster than I was when heavier. Easier to climb, too!
Old 02-24-19, 06:59 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
How a bike feels is more important to me, I've ridden some light bikes that feel a bit dead or just don't suit otherwise. My Super Course is heavier than most of my other bikes but it has a great fit and a lively feel and the extra lbs don't make a substantial difference on the uphills. Adjusting the weight of the butt in the saddle (downwards) is my primary concern - story of my life...
Old 02-24-19, 07:18 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
My only requirement is that I can still pick it up and put it in the Park stand. Other than that, I can go as far and as fast as my body will allow regardless of a few pounds one way or another.
Old 02-24-19, 07:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I've been kind of making the same argument for years. People get too wrapped up in getting folding bead tires, latex rims and carbon fiber bottle cages when most of us would be better off skipping that second morning cup of Philbert nut hot chocolate or Nutella/Eggo breakfast sandwich

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 02-24-19 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 07:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
I would offer that lighter wheels are more important for my enjoyment than overall weight (up to a point). That's why a dozen wheelsets are tubular.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-24-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 07:40 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
How does the bike fit, what is the quality of the ride and wheel weight/tire size has mattered more to me than weight of the bike. Lightening of parts seems more akin to Colin Chapman's quest for the perfect Formula 1 car, designed to be so light that as it crossed the finish line to win the race it would then break/fall apart. A friend's dad won a ration coupon to purchase a bike at the start of WWII. This bike he used as his car, taking trips on this 40lb.+ bike with heavy camping gear, had amazing times/adventures.
Old 02-24-19, 07:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
For me, anything above about 14kg or 30lb is unacceptable, but below that point I don't make a big deal about overall bicycle weight. As mentioned above, tire and rim weight are important to the acceleration and overall feel and ride quality, which is why I avoid steel rims, which also exhibit unsafely degraded braking performance when wet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-24-19, 07:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've never paid any attention to weight. I figure if the bike is built right, it's the weight it needs to be. I do pay attention to getting a high quality frame and parts which keeps the weight in check. The lightest bike is not always the most comfortable for riding all day in any case.
Old 02-24-19, 07:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OH BTW are we talking 'off the shelf' weights or ready to ride with one or two bottles, pump (CO2), seat pack, Garmin or smart phone, bell and flask?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-24-19, 08:11 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I would offer that lighter wheels are more important for my enjoyment than overall weight (up to a point). That's why a dozen wheelsets are tubular.
THAT ^ right there.

Wheel weight is more important than overall weight. Adding to that, the lighter the tires, tubes and rims are the quicker they will accelerate. The further from the center the weight is, the greater the impact on acceleration and climbing. A full 26 oz water bottle is 1.625 pounds + the weight of the bottle; ride a climb with it and then without it; not much of a difference. Now switch wheels that are 1.625 pounds lighter where the bulk of the reduction is at the point furthest from the axles and ride the climb again; big difference. So much so that in some cases you may be able to climb in a slightly higher gear.
Old 02-24-19, 08:20 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Well from my ride logs I will say weight doesn't really matter that much. One of my heavier bikes with heavier wheels is still one of my best climbers. I attribute that to how stiff the frame is.

All that said though, I do prefer a bike to feel light under me. I've had some bikes that just didn't feel good, those get passed on. I do like light wheels for how they make the bike feel and a lot of times I'll throw a modern set on my vintage bike just for the enjoyment it gives me.

I do track all the weights of my bikes as part of the fun of collecting. It's just another point of comparison for me. I weigh them all the same, with the pedals and bottle cages on.

Right now the bikes range from 18 lbs 5 ozs to 23 lbs 3 ozs. Not counting the old Peugeot U-08 and AMF 3 speed. Those are "real steal" bikes, lol!
Old 02-24-19, 08:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
I am no weight weenie but over the years I have a few data points which have been tested many many times and leave no doubt in my mind. I have 3 bikes that stand out from the herd weight wise, both frame and build. The Vitus 979 and a built for me Tange Prestige Super Lite are only a couple pounds lighter than my other bikes and are faster on my typical routes. I do think I notice what feels like faster acceleration but don't notice when climbing. I have rotated wheelsets around and not found rotational weight to matter for my riding. Also have three Tommasinis, a Tecno, Diamonte, and an older Prestige. The Prestige frame/build is 2+ pounds heavier than the Diamonte and a little more than than that compared to the Tecno. I love all three but the Tecno and Diamonte do have reduced times and feel like they accelerate faster. I keep bikes for the kids families and when they visit I will grab the 979, Super Lite or Tecno to do my best to keep up.
Old 02-24-19, 08:43 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
...not such a big deal. Most decent vintage builds weigh around 21-22 pounds, or maybe 5 pounds more than a $2000-ish new carbon bike. I don't think most riders in most circumstances would notice a 5 pound difference.

On the other hand, last year I lost 30 pounds. Gained some back, but even so I'm much faster than I was when heavier. Easier to climb, too!
Years ago there was a former racer telling me during a group ride there was a new bike he wanted to get because it was 3 lbs lighter than his current bike but it was $3500. My initial reaction was "why not just lose the 3 lbs". I don't notice the difference on most of my bikes that are within 3-5 lbs of each other. The definite heavier ones I do but that's because when I grab them I'm out for a more leisurely ride and not pushing myself as hard.

Rccardr climbed really well last summer on his Cannondale.

Old 02-24-19, 08:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
You should compare your vintage rides to a Huffy or a Murray, or a Schwinn Varsity.
Old 02-24-19, 09:01 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by CliffordK
You should compare your vintage rides to a Huffy or a Murray, or a Schwinn Varsity.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-24-19, 09:11 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
A weighty bike helps me balance while in motion. Too lite and I have difficulty. The lowest I can feel comfortable on is around 21-22 lbs. But then, me and the bike together doesn’t break 150 lbs total so the whole weight issue is mute to me.

Old 02-24-19, 09:37 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Bought a 70s Bottecchia, SP tubing. flat tires meant no test ride.
Next day rode with new tubes - meh, not impressed with bike's responsiveness.
Rode it with tubular wheels some days later and it handled and accelerated much better.
Approx 600g difference between the two 700c wheelsets.
A conversion on the Follis from 27" wheels to tubulars was even more dramatic in handling.

The true answer for effect of bike weight / wheel weight differences really depends on HOW you ride your bikes.
If you a 15mph rider, mostly on flat/straight roads and trails = virtually no difference.
If you ride for speed/race, have big hills or mountains, curvy potholed/earthquaked roads - then nimble handling takes on new meaning and importance.
I especially appreciate a lightweight front wheel&tire.

I also 100% agree that lesser body weight achieved through healthy diet and exercise is the best investment in improving every bike's performance.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-24-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:47 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 90 Posts
For me also it is the wheels that make the difference. My bikes, loaded with water, lights, fenders, computer, etc (not to mention their mildly fatty owner) are surely over 30 pounds, but with decent wheels they are all a delight to ride. And if they are tubular wheels, just a bit more of a delight.
Old 02-24-19, 10:22 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I just shipped a Ladies Schwinn Racer from Chicago to Austin, TX. I had no trouble hoisting the bike up to my luggage scale to get an idea of the weight (38lbs) so I could estimate shipping charges. After boxing though, I needed to run an inner tube through the little knock-out handles in the box so I had something sturdy enough to hang it from for the final weigh-in (47lbs). I couldn't manage that what with the moving scale hook and bulkiness of the box, so had to get Ellen to help. She feeds the obsession in multiple ways.

Today, I took my Schwinn Speedster out to get in a workout and experience the windy conditions. That same luggage scale tells me it weighs just a skosh under 35lbs. Didn't notice that as a problem.
Old 02-24-19, 10:40 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
I know some bikes get a bad rap because they are heavier than others. But lets say my vintage bike weighs 25 pounds. When I park my butt in the saddle, it suddenly weighs 170. So, going down the road, what matters more? The 1 ounce I saved using drilled brake levers? Or the 12-ounce beer I skipped at lunch? In the final equation, how important is the bike weight, really? For high-end competitors who have leaned themselves out to the max, maybe. But for most of us?
How important is the bike weight?

All depends on what you expect out of it - just transportation, cargo usage, racing for prize money, etc..

Next- Human weight combined with bike.

The bike static, expenses zero energy. Meaning useless, regardless of weight.

Contrary to the human, who expenses energy even in a sleep state. It may be miniscule and poor -using any form of output power measurement such as watts or horsepower per weight. It can be better if physically fit, able to move its mass, improves if various attributes are used, converts fat to muscle or even lose mass.

Remember that useless zero output bike in static mode mentioned above? All has to be figured and added to the humans energy efficiency.

So the body has to expense energy to move the bikes mass too, but by lowering any related bike and cargo mass automatically improves output power.

But.... but... mass in gravity is your friend :")

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-24-19 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 11:00 AM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Honestly. It doesnt matter.

Nobody asks what the zero to sixty time is in a 1957 chevy! Who cares! Its a 57 chevy.

JJ
Old 02-24-19, 11:00 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Today, I took my Schwinn Speedster out to get in a workout and experience the windy conditions. That same luggage scale tells me it weighs just a skosh under 35lbs. Didn't notice that as a problem.
In today's wind, those extra pounds would be an asset!
Old 02-24-19, 11:03 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Nobody asks what the zero to sixty time is in a 1957 chevy! Who cares! Its a 57 chevy.
I'm guessing it matters to some people.

Old 02-24-19, 11:08 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Generally speaking, when seeking a decent vintage road bicycle, one can expect to find offerings between 22 pounds and 25 pounds. For my money, anything with-in those weight limits, or even less, is a good place to start, in my book. Have a look at these bicycle weights and the weights I took myself on my own bikes.

So, make no mistake, weight does play a factor in ride quality but the function it plays is, kinda, minimal. Wheel weight is a BIG player in ride quality. Geometry is a BIG player in ride quality. Your skill and fitness levels play a BIG part in ride quality. So does saddle fit. And bicycle fit. And so many other things that I sometimes wonder why we all get so hung up on weight.

Last edited by randyjawa; 02-26-19 at 01:19 PM. Reason: forgot link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.