Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Assault

Old 05-16-19, 07:51 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Assault

I ran this by " JoeyBike" because he is from New Orleans and have not heard back from him yet but I decided to throw this out for general discussion and see what type of feedback I get. I was basically assaulted yesterday evening by three young kids on the Bike Path I ride every morning and evening. Did not know them, had no previous encounter with them that I know of, had no beef with them. They just picked me out. It wasn't too bad but I was wondering if this is an indication of things to come because I ride at specific times. First they were ahead of me on three Stingray type Bikes coming toward me. They turned around ahead of me so they were going in the same direction. When I caught up with them they stopped me from passing by swerving in front of me deliberately. Then trying to accelerate hard to take advantage of a gap my chain came off because I think my BioPace is worn. So they rode ahead and put there bikes across the Bike Path on the ground so I could not pass. I just dismounted and walked down the face of the levee around the Bikes without looking over and continued on. On the way back they were coming in the opposite direction and played chicken with me. I just got down on the Aeros, hugged the Sea Wall and kept my line and the last bike swerved out of my way then one slapped me on the back. I thought that was the end of it then one of them caught up with me because I was nursing the Chain Ring and watching the Sun Set and he slapped me behind the head. Then trying to accelerate the chain came off again. The three of them basically cornered me but when they saw I was serious they did not advance. So I got back on the Bike and rode off.

Is this a sign of things to come? I am debating exactly what to do. Just avoid them not to give them any satisfaction. Carry a Gun or Mace. Avoid the Bike Path. ( I like my Rides)A little feedback would be nice. Just talking about it made me feel a little better.

Last edited by mjac; 05-16-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:13 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Let's see how quickly this gets locked or deleted.
Old 05-16-19, 08:13 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Call the police to explain the encounter each time. After a few calls the police may realize they have a group of predators on that segment of path.

The post here should be edited to remove the not-useful-to-us and racially biased mention of skin color. Save that for the description provided to the police. For us a malicious group is sufficient background to form useful, unbiased opinions.
Old 05-16-19, 08:16 AM
mjac

What?

Originally Posted by ksryder
I do not understand what you mean. This was a straight and honest post.
Old 05-16-19, 08:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Given that they didn't seem to advance on you and backed off immediately when you got serious, I can't fathom what their purpose was. FWIW, we had a situation on a rail/trail where a dirt biker (motor) actually threatened a friend with a hand gun. A month later this same guy came off a rail/trail and encountered a guy who was with his family. Some sort of dispute ensued and he actually shot and killed the man. As a result, if I'm on the rail/trail with my gf or alone, I carry my .380 Glock. Having said that, carrying a gun is a pretty bad idea IMO. And, I wouldn't do it except for this experience. Oh....the shooter was eventually arrested and is now in prison. Some young kid who had some physical disabilities. Don't know how or if that contributed to his attitude.
Old 05-16-19, 08:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Why? What's the standard?
Old 05-16-19, 08:22 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I would not say that it a sign of things to come but certain segments of society like to push people around.
As to what to do, I'd definitely have contacted the police. What if it had been someone less capable of defending themselves? A young woman as an example?

I ride where I ride when I want to ride and I am very considerate of others that I meet out on the road.
That said, I don't abide by thugs, rednecks or dogs that give me grief.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 05-16-19, 08:24 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
1. Fix your drivetrain - seems like every time you were in a position to go around them or outrun them your chain fell off or you were "nursing" your drivetrain.
2. Hook up a Go-Pro or equivalent and keep riding. If they're there the next time, film them and go to the cops, if they're not, just carry on.
3. As a last resort, and assuming that this is a repeated issue and you don't get any satisfaction from law enforcement, consider Mace (never a gun), but ensure that you're on safe legal ground wrt carrying Mace in your state/jurisdiction, and that the conditions under which you use it are justified self-defense in response to a clear and recorded assault (IANAL, so take this "legal advice" for what it cost you)

Last edited by Litespud; 05-16-19 at 08:33 AM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-16-19, 08:24 AM
bakerjw

Originally Posted by mjac
I do not understand what you mean. This was a straight and honest post.
But not PC. I expect the thread to get locked or cleaned up a bit which is fine. Moderators do what they have to do for the sake of the site.
But, I can say that I can read "cleaned" up articles and easily make determinations of the perpetrators based on what is stated or left vague.
Old 05-16-19, 08:25 AM
mjac

Again. What?

Originally Posted by daoswald
Call the police to explain the encounter each time. After a few calls the police may realize they have a group of predators on that segment of path.

The post here should be edited to remove the not-useful-to-us and racially biased mention of skin color. Save that for the description provided to the police. For us a malicious group is sufficient background to form useful, unbiased opinions.
Okay. I will edit out "Black." But that is an accurate description. This being New Orleans, that is useful and relevant given the Crime situation here. I would not expect you to understand.
Old 05-16-19, 08:28 AM
bakerjw

ALWAYS do this... Recently on the Appalachian Trail near Unicoi Tn. there was a man threatening people with a machete. He was located and arrested. They held him on minor charges and let him go because the people opted to not press charges. Several days ago he killed someone in Virginia on the AT. We might be able to fend off an attack, but someone less capable might be hurt or violently assaulted.

Google - appalachian trail machete killing
Old 05-16-19, 08:34 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by bruce19
Given that they didn't seem to advance on you and backed off immediately when you got serious, I can't fathom what their purpose was. FWIW, we had a situation on a rail/trail where a dirt biker (motor) actually threatened a friend with a hand gun. A month later this same guy came off a rail/trail and encountered a guy who was with his family. Some sort of dispute ensued and he actually shot and killed the man. As a result, if I'm on the rail/trail with my gf or alone, I carry my .380 Glock. Having said that, carrying a gun is a pretty bad idea IMO. And, I wouldn't do it except for this experience. Oh....the shooter was eventually arrested and is now in prison. Some young kid who had some physical disabilities. Don't know how or if that contributed to his attitude.
You carry your .380 Glock. " Carrying a gun is a pretty bad idea IMO."... Please explain.
Old 05-16-19, 08:34 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Okay. I will edit out "Black." But that is an accurate description. This being New Orleans, that is useful and relevant given the Crime situation here. I would not expect you to understand.
I agree with you. All details, including race, should be relevant. I did not find anything racist in your original post.

I am Hispanic and if you had written, “three or four Hispanic kids assaulted me” I would not have been offended. If you had used a derogatory term for Blacks, or Hispanics, or whatever, that would have been a different matter.

Apropos to your post, crime rates are on the rise in most major urban areas.
Old 05-16-19, 08:37 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
1. Fix your drivetrain - seems like every time you were in a position to go around them or outrun them your chain fell off or you were "nursing" your drivetrain.
2. Hook up a Go-Pro or equivalent and keep riding. If they're there the next time, film them and go to the cops, if they're not, just carry on.
3. Call the police and report every single encounter
4. Always try to avoid or de-escalate. You never know if these guys are serious and have knives/guns
5. Worst comes to worst, have a self-defense option as a last-resort - probably not a gun. Kind of stupid, but maybe wear a bat on your back.
Old 05-16-19, 08:43 AM
mjac

Thought

Originally Posted by bakerjw
I would not say that it a sign of things to come but certain segments of society like to push people around.
As to what to do, I'd definitely have contacted the police. What if it had been someone less capable of defending themselves? A young woman as an example?

I ride where I ride when I want to ride and I am very considerate of others that I meet out on the road.
That said, I don't abide by thugs, rednecks or dogs that give me grief.
My thoughts exactly initially, I should be able to ride where I want anytime I want. But in this City, New Orleans, there are no half measures. You either avoid the person or persons that have it out for you for whatever reasons or you have to get very serious with them. If you know what I mean. That is the best I can put it now that PC has been engaged in this discussion. Much to my surprise by the way.
Old 05-16-19, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Exactly. No good may come of it, but certainly no good will come from not reporting.

The major trail in my area had a series of incidents. They were reported. Police and "rangers" (the subject portion of the trail is part of a county park system) stepped up patrols and there was consideration of installing cameras. Don't know if that ever happened, but I haven't heard of any incidents in years.

Old 05-16-19, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

That is the best I can put it now that PC has been engaged in this discussion. Much to my surprise by the way.
Sorry, Charlie, but the kids' race has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. If they had been any other race would the incident not have bothered you? Would you not have started this thread?

Those are rhetorical questions, BTW.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-16-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:53 AM
mjac

Thanks

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I agree with you. All details, including race, should be relevant. I did not find anything racist in your original post.

I am Hispanic and if you had written, “three or four Hispanic kids assaulted me” I would not have been offended. If you had used a derogatory term for Blacks, or Hispanics, or whatever, that would have been a different matter.

Thanks. When I wrote this Post, the idea of Race did not even cross my mind. You stating you found nothing racist in the post after reading it reaffirms that.
Likes For mjac:
Old 05-16-19, 09:02 AM
indyfabz

Thanks. When I wrote this Post, the idea of Race did not even cross my mind.
I get it now. You accidentally mentioned race. Or maybe your cat walked on the keyboard? I did a trial adoption of a cat. He did that a lot.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-16-19, 09:04 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
anticipate and look for threats, turn around if needed. Find another place to ride, but definitely report to the police and use a camera
Old 05-16-19, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

But not New Orleans:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...ce16b6c85.html
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 09:07 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sorry, Charlie, but the kids' race has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. If they had been any other race would the incident not have bothered you? Would you not have started this thread?
You are indeed entitled to your opinion. But I vehemently and strongly disagree with you. Race did not even cross my mind when contemplating and writing this Post. It is an accurate and honest description of what happened. It is not about Race but about three kids assaulting and threatening someone on a dedicated, "Safe" Bike Path that members of this forum can appreciate. Yet you cherry pick one word and change the discussion. I find this object able. To assume I would not have written this post if it did not include this detail is just plain wrong. It is accurate. That is all.

To give you an idea of what the Crime Situation is in New Orleans, the reality, not the Racist, Insuggest you go to YouTube and search "Euric Cane." Look for "Shooting of Tulane Medical Student Peter Gold." Pay particular attention how he tries "Three" times to unjam his gun to finish him off. Then scroll down to " A clearer CCV" to see the lead up and aftermath.

Sorry Charlie Indeed.
Old 05-16-19, 09:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I'm 62 years old and my first experience of this type probably happened when I was 10 and with white kids. The last one was a few years ago and involved being run off the road by a car, also by white kids, but there have been black and white involved in the numerous episodes in between and the race mainly reflects geography. This is what tough kids have always done to weenies. Complain to the cops by all means, but it's not the apocalypse.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-16-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 09:14 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
How old are you?
Old 05-16-19, 09:17 AM
mjac

No

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I get it now. You accidentally mentioned race. Or maybe your cat walked on the keyboard? I did a trial adoption of a cat. He did that a lot.
No, wrong again. I gave an accurate and honest description of exactly what happened. You have no right to assume what my motives were. That is you're assumption based on no logic or reasoning. Do not inflict your PC Mentality on me. That is your problem. I have found that people who occupy your position are indeed the Racists with their Patronizing Attitude.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.