Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

06 Lemond Victoire??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

06 Lemond Victoire??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 06:25 PM
kellefson
adjunct cyclist

Bikes: 05 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 04 Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
06 Lemond Victoire??

Just wondering what experiences any of you might have had with this bike. A local bike shop has one on sale right now for $1700. Seems like a good buy…titanium/OCLV 110 carbon frame, Bontrager Race Lite Wheels, Ultegra 10 speed.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this bike.
Old 01-15-07, 06:48 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The price is good. They were over $3500 just a few months ago. I had one for a short period of time and sold it for reasons that had nothing to do with the bike. In the months I rode it I had the impression that it was pretty solidly made. The only problem I had with it are the bearings in the rear wheel falling apart. This is a known problem with those wheels and they are replaced as part of the warranty to wheels with newly designed (bigger) bearings. Make sure your new bike has the newer wheels.
Old 01-16-07, 10:52 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a great price.
I have the same frame in the Tete De Course, and you'd be getting a piece of art with that frame.
For one thing it is an amazingly comfortable bike. What size do you ride/is this bike? I hear the larger sizes (59, 61) can get flexy, although that is still up for debate and always a person-specific feeling.

I love mine.
Old 01-16-07, 04:09 PM
kellefson
adjunct cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The bike is a 57, which is what I ride. I guess I was a little concerned about the frame setup...seems strange to me having two different materials butted together like that. I see the 07 models are all carbon. Was there a problem with the carbon/titanium setup?
Old 01-16-07, 04:41 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Going by what a riding partner told me: He has a Scattante(Supergo housebrand) Lemond carbon/ti Victoire and a$8000 Time bike. He said the Scat is a much better ride than the Lemond as far as stiffness. Said he flet like he was losing energy on the Lemond as it was to flexy and mushy. That's the reason he bought the new Time bike. Those are his words though.
Old 01-16-07, 04:52 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Great frame, great price. Just don't give in to the urge to paint it.
Old 01-16-07, 04:56 PM
Markedoc

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful with the sizing on the LeMond - I thought they measured differently than some other bikes (center to center seat tube?) but perhaps 55/Rad can shed more light.
Old 01-16-07, 05:41 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$1700's a smokin' deal. I've got that same setup on the Zurich, their carbon-steel frame.
I had to spend $50 to get the rear wheel rebuilt - I don't think Bontrager even checks spoke tension before it leaves the factory, and they don't warranty a wheel that needs retrueing every 200 mi.

Even if you had to re-build both wheels, it's a smokin' deal.
Old 01-16-07, 05:59 PM
Markedoc

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it new?
Old 01-16-07, 06:02 PM
kellefson
adjunct cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's new. The guy working there said they wanted to get rid of it before they brought out the 07 carbon frames, which made me wonder if there was something wrong with the carbon/ti frames.
Old 01-16-07, 06:20 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kellefson
It's new. The guy working there said they wanted to get rid of it before they brought out the 07 carbon frames, which made me wonder if there was something wrong with the carbon/ti frames.
nah, they're nice frames. if it fits (repeat three times) go for it. I know of someone who crashed one and it ripped the headtube from the steel "lugs", the carb top tube didn't unglue or shear at all.

I really like Lemond's "classic" steel frames (sarthe, poprad, etc), but the geo doesn't work for me

make sure it fits with a proper stem length. don't get sold a bike because someone is trying to clear inventory.

trek has a good warranty too. good luck.
Old 01-16-07, 07:18 PM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kellefson
Thanks for the replies. The bike is a 57, which is what I ride. I guess I was a little concerned about the frame setup...seems strange to me having two different materials butted together like that. I see the 07 models are all carbon. Was there a problem with the carbon/titanium setup?

There was no problem, the model had just run its course and the market now demands a sub-1kg carbon frame. Lemond needed a frame to meet a better price point, meet the market demands of all carbon and very light, and one they could use over a wider range of models. The asian made Triomphe series carbon gives them all that and should be successful. I honestly think its a miracle the higher powers at Trek actually said "yes" back in 2002 to bring such a very high end model out in 2003. We can all thank the successful Saturn team for that I'm sure.

And yes, if your current 57cm also has a 57cm top tube, then make sure you will be ok on the Lemond with the longer top tube, but I assume you're going to take a test ride. Lots of companies have put carbon and titanium (or other materials) together. Almost every company at some point had a material hybrid with at least carbon seat stays until full carbon became more accessible to build through experience or better asian factories. Serotta, Seven, and Titus all still offer similar Ti/carbon hybrids to the Lemond and all are highly regarded.

The Victoire/Tete De Course frame was the exact same frame used by the Saturn cycling team in 2003. Tommy D. and Chris Horner were on the team then and the team won almost every domestic race on this frame including the Tour De Georgia. Tommy D. also won the Mt. Washington hill climb. Yes the guy is a climbing machine, but the Lemond frame was clearly good enough to put his energy to the road to fly up that mountain. If Saturn could have made a decent car during this time and been successful, then perhaps the team would have lasted past 2003 and this frame would have lots more wins under its belt.

By the way, mine is built up without many exotic parts at 15.8 pounds. The 57cm bare frame should weight around 1350 grams.

Last edited by teterider; 01-16-07 at 10:03 PM.