Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trail a bike rack?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Trail a bike rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:42 PM
Joyfulmama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail a bike rack?

I wanted to put a rack on our trail a bike for our panniers. Does it require a special sized rack? Our standard rack just looks odd.
Old 04-22-09, 07:24 PM
Luis Vivanco

Bikes: '09 Surly Big Dummy, '08 Surly LHT touring bike, '96 Fisher Mt. Tam MTB/icebike, '54 Schwinn Tiger cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been down this road myself... The problem is that trail-a-bikes aren't made for such things--they're "recreational," not utility-oriented--so they don't have rack mount eyelets, for example. Or when you jerry-rig a rack made for a 26 inch bike it just looks weird, as you pointed out. My solution was a bit elaborate. I added a back rest to the trail-a-bike, to which I attached a seat-post rack. Mind you, it's not a strong rack, holds maybe 25 pounds max and won't hold panniers because it has no support legs. But I put a basket on it which has made it very useful. My kids and I call it "the trunk" and it works great for holding backpacks, an extra bag of groceries, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Utility_Trail_a_bike.jpg (86.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-22-09, 09:16 PM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting idea. Our Adam's trail a bike does have places to connect a rack..just need the right one.
Old 04-22-09, 09:39 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know if they have changed, but both the Addams Trail-a-Bike (2000 edition) and the Burley Piccolo (2001 edition) have eyelets for a rack near the dropouts. One needs to use P-clamps (not a problem) and really long struts to attach the top at the top of the seatstays.

One word of caution: it you don't want the tail to wag the dog, I would advise against putting too much weight on that rear rack. For instance, when I toured with my children, I would put two sleeping bags in the rearmost panniers as it is a bulky but fairly lightweight load. Clothes, food and tools would go in the four panniers of the main bike.