Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

One of those tire threads

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 03-29-11, 10:59 AM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there have been a few tire threads recently. They are 2 or 3 paged back and I didnt feel like resurrecting them. I did read them though.

I replaced the stock tires on my bike with Conti GP4000Ss. I had read that they were fast and had decent puncture and cut resistance. I rode less than 30 miles on them before I got a flat on the rear -_- I was pissed bc I just flatted on my new tires, but then while changing the tube I noticed that there was a hole large enough for me to stick my pinky through in the tire... I'm not sure if this was a manufacturing defect, a fluke, or if these tires just arent tough enough. I didnt run over anything or hit any speedbumbs that I am aware of.

I returned the back tire to amazon, saying that it was defective. Now here is the problem, I dont know what to replace it with. Should I give the gp4000s another chance, or look for something else? I almost never got flats with my stock tires(i even had a 4 month period of no flats at all), so I don't think I need something as tough as gatorskins. I've heard they are somewhat sluggish though my friends that have them never get flats.

I'd like a tire with lower rolling resistance that holds up alright on city streets. They dont have to be the toughest because I dont mind fixing flats occasionally, and they dont have to be really cheap.
Old 03-29-11, 11:12 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Picture?
Was it a lateral rip/ tear/ hole?
Conti's quality control on their tires are uaually very good, especially for their higher end german made tires.
Nonetheless shiet does happen out on the roads...
Old 03-29-11, 11:59 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MuppetMower
...I don't think I need something as tough as gatorskins....
If you read all the other threads you should know that Gatorskins suck. They are only 'just okay' at flat prevention and their sidewalls are made of a material that is about as puncture resistant as jello. They are super-tight on most rims so good luck if, or should I say when you need to get them off to fix the inevitable flat. I've snapped plastic levers and bent metal ones. For $50/tire you can do a lot better.
Old 03-29-11, 01:04 PM
MuppetMower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Was it a lateral rip/ tear/ hole?
yes. I dont have a camera though to take a pic, but I could borrow one if you really wanted to see it.

Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
If you read all the other threads you should know that Gatorskins suck.
You caught me. I lied. MUhahaha -_- I didnt get that out of those threads at all. Some people seemed to like them, and others didnt. I'd rather stay away from them though.
Old 03-29-11, 02:24 PM
chenghiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like (I imagine) most folks here, I haven't used enough different kinds of tires to give you any advice other than what's worked for me. I've been using the same Serfas Seca tires in 28mm for six months and haven't flatted at all. I've also used Vittoria Zaffiros extensively, which only pinch-flatted once on a particularly monstrous crack in the road, and that says more about my intelligence than it does about the tires.
Old 03-29-11, 03:33 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubinos and randonneurs from vittoria are some of the best tires
I have also had good luck with vredestein ricorso's and the refuse and detonator from maxxis
Old 03-29-11, 08:59 PM
MuppetMower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard good things about the randonneurs, but I dont really want to go with 28s. The rubinos look nice. I might give them a try.
Old 03-29-11, 09:02 PM
xavier853

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get gator skins. I have been running on mine for a loooong time and still some.
Old 03-29-11, 09:07 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like the ride quality of my conti gp4000/grand prix, but they do seem to flat a little easier. pro race 3s ride nicely as well (and flash yellow is the best tire color ever concieved).

for a general around town tire though i think vittoria is hard to beat on value. zaffiros ride well, rubinos are hard to beat for the dollar. i hated the ride quality of randos, but they're flat resistant and good for dem skidz
Old 03-29-11, 09:12 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
If you read all the other threads you should know that Gatorskins suck. They are only 'just okay' at flat prevention and their sidewalls are made of a material that is about as puncture resistant as jello. They are super-tight on most rims so good luck if, or should I say when you need to get them off to fix the inevitable flat. I've snapped plastic levers and bent metal ones. For $50/tire you can do a lot better.
Gatorskins are relatively tight, but I have used them on like 8 different rims and never had a problem. Just get levers that don't suck like Pedros and you're fine. Unless you just don't know how to change a flat, and then I can't help you

The only thing I don't like about Gatorskins is their wet grip. Sidewalls are certainly no weaker than the Gp400s or most other road tires. I guess they won't be as tough as a touring tire or something, but they are not that kind of tire.
Old 03-29-11, 09:18 PM
CharneK
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conti ultra sports do well for me. Good enough roll speed for the commuting around town and I only ever had one flat with them, skidded too much and a thorn pushed through (though I think it took and unfortunately timed curb hop to actually push it through to my tube). If you skid a lot they might last all that long, but they're like $24 or something at REI. Cheap.

A lot of the messengers I know in Denver (one of which turned me on to Ultras) are on thickslicks at the moment. Never tried em myself though.
Old 03-29-11, 10:02 PM
arp415
what? NO!

Bikes: 1988 Bridgestone RB-2 converted to ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stick with he contis, I have had mine since summer and no problems. The roads are **** here, and lined with trees hat leave a bunch of pokey **** on the side of the rode. I've never heard of any other problems, and the reviews are great.

My theory is someone shot your tire out. Yup, that's it.
Old 03-29-11, 11:07 PM
MuppetMower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspected that was what went on. haha
Do you have have the 4000S or the originals? I wonder if the 4000S might be less durable... For the time that I was riding on them, they felt amazing.