Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What’s on your Christmas wish list?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What’s on your Christmas wish list?

Old 11-25-20, 04:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek
I will not have it in my possession by Christmas, but I purchased a custom BAUM Corretto with all the bells and whistles, including SRAM Red AXS, Enve 5.6 wheels and Cane Creek ee brakes. I consider it my dream bike.
Now, about my wish list: world peace, a sudden end to this pandemic, global cooperation to allow us to reverse climate change, negative global human reproduction rate and every human immediately becoming vegan to end animal suffering due to human consumption
Not asking for much there.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-25-20, 06:19 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Not asking for much there.
Dream big or go home. Hopefully, we all have an ideal world about which we dream and for which we work. I doubt I’ll live to see the ideal world I imagine. But, that does not make it any less desirable.

Last edited by zatopek; 11-27-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 06:29 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Although 2020 has been awful we are very fortunate this year as we're both still working at our full time jobs and we don't know many folks in our immediate circle who've been too negatively affected by COVID-19. Generally we don't ask for much, but if a beautiful brass bell showed up under the tree on Xmas morning...

Likes For bOsscO:
Old 11-25-20, 07:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
My only Christmas wish, is that I don't expose my mother to Covid-19.

I work at a very busy shop, and I worry about bringing it home.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-25-20, 07:46 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by noodle soup
My only Christmas wish, is that I don't expose my mother to Covid-19.

I work at a very busy shop, and I worry about bringing it home.
I'd rather be furloughed until January, and take unemployment(about 20% of my pay) for the next 6 weeks.
Old 11-25-20, 07:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'd rather be furloughed until January, and take unemployment(about 20% of my pay) for the next 6 weeks.
I wouldn't have minded a brief furlough in the spring or summer, but right now? Blah.
Old 11-25-20, 07:53 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I wouldn't have minded a brief furlough in the spring or summer, but right now? Blah.
Right now it's about 50F at sunrise, and it's 70-75F in the afternoon.
Old 11-25-20, 09:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I don't really need anything that money can buy.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-25-20, 09:04 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
105 with Rotor ALDHU cranks (for the P2M NG power meter).
Nothing else upgraded.
I'd love to the wheels like Mojo31 , but I think I would get more "use" out of Di2, but again, I'm not sure if putting Ultegra Di2 on a 105 bike is something worth doing.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
All of the SL frames are the same regardless of the groupset that was on it when purchased; there's nothing wrong with putting Di2 on that frame if that's what you want to do. You might end up spending a little more than if you would have jumped straight to the SL7 trim (factoring in the wheels, cockpit, etc), but do the math and see where it lands. Keep in mind that you can sell the 105 group to recoup some of the Di2 conversion or you can keep it for a future build.
I concur - that is a great frame. If you do shifters and derailleurs, you're good to go. I did just buy a new bike with Di2 instead of upgrading my 105 bike, but mine was a heavy aluminum frame; that is a really nice bike already.
Old 11-26-20, 05:59 AM
frozenscissor

Bikes: still unknown

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carbon frames and wheelset i think
Old 11-26-20, 09:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Not that I need any more ideas on what to spend money on, but what’s on your wish list? (Or what’s the next bike or bike related purchase you are planning on?)

For me, it’s a Di2 upgrade (although it may be a bit overkill for my 105-level Domane SL 5)

AFA a bike goes, I’m pretty happy with the Domane, but if I ever get to “race weight” I’d like a Bianchi Oltre XR3 or an R5... maybe a Madone if I won the lottery
-Smart trainer (if I can get my hand on one)
-New helmet - Bought yesterday
-New stiffer shoes
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-26-20, 09:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I am sorely tempted to get a set of Roval Rapide CLXes, to replace my CLX64s. 200gm lighter and supposed faster/less susceptible to cross winds - the 200gm weight loss would be nice from a pride-of-ownership point of view and the improved handling in crosswinds would be fantastic where I ride, where it can get quite windy.

BUT... I just bought 3 bikes in the past year (Venge, R5 and Factor LS) and even though I sold the R5, I am hearing a lot of grumbling coming from my better half about how she needs a better bike (which she definitely does). So Cervelo Caledonia or Aspero with a Di2 build and light carbon wheels for her coming up first.

But I do need a pair of shoes (both my pairs are now 5+ years old) and a new helmet.
Old 11-26-20, 09:54 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've pretty much got everything I need, so not a lot that I want. Although I ride an Allez with Claris and stock wheels, I only have a slight urge to get up to 11 speed and/or more aero wheels. Considering I do most of my riding indoors on the trainer using ERG mode, I have neither the need for more gearing nor wheels lol given that, another 10w on my FTP (currently somewhere in the 295-305 neighborhood) would be super lol
Old 11-26-20, 11:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
So Cervelo Caledonia or Aspero with a Di2 build and light carbon wheels for her coming up first.
Sweet. I'd love either, but I know that, realistically, given my use, neither would give me much over what I currently have.
Old 11-26-20, 01:52 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Sweet. I'd love either, but I know that, realistically, given my use, neither would give me much over what I currently have.
Honestly, I agree - I dont think either she or I will use the wide tire capacity of our gravel bikes that much. But it's just nice to have if need be, especially as the more race-oriented bikes ride very close to a road bike with thinner tires anyway.

Finding the damn bikes is a challenge, though.
Old 11-26-20, 03:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Honestly, I agree - I dont think either she or I will use the wide tire capacity of our gravel bikes that much. But it's just nice to have if need be, especially as the more race-oriented bikes ride very close to a road bike with thinner tires anyway.

Finding the damn bikes is a challenge, though.
If I could do it over, I'd take either one over my R3, no hesitation - it would be great to have that versatility and I'd occasionally take advantage of it. To replace the R3, though, taking the loss, and then buying the new one at top(-ish) dollar? Nah, not worth that much to me.

Do post plenty of pics if/when she gets one, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-27-20, 12:23 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

If I could do it over, I'd take either one over my R3, no hesitation - it would be great to have that versatility and I'd occasionally take advantage of it. To replace the R3, though, taking the loss, and then buying the new one at top(-ish) dollar? Nah, not worth that much to me.
Yeah, true - I got really lucky in scoring my R5 frameset for $2000 - which is pretty much what I sold it for. Taking a 30-50% bath on a full price frame would have really sucked.

And will do so... looks like it will be Jan or Feb by the time she gets the bike, though. I have ordered a Breakaway/folding style custom steel bike for her, though. Even that wont be ready by December (her birthday) but i should atleasy have a photo of the tubing to show her....

Last edited by guadzilla; 11-27-20 at 12:57 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-27-20, 12:31 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
This year, pandemic aside, has already been exceptional. Since January, I have retired from the military, bought a house and finally settled back down after 26 years of globe trotting. I have all of my kids under one roof. My oldest (20) is doing his Junior year of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin in my basement. My second oldest (14), just finished her eight grade year and my youngest (7) finished second grade. This will probably be the last year I have them all together. For me, Christmas came early...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 11-27-20, 05:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
Yeah, true - I got really lucky in scoring my R5 frameset for $2000 - which is pretty much what I sold it for. Taking a 30-50% bath on a full price frame would have really sucked.

And will do so... looks like it will be Jan or Feb by the time she gets the bike, though. I have ordered a Breakaway/folding style custom steel bike for her, though. Even that wont be ready by December (her birthday) but i should atleasy have a photo of the tubing to show her....

Interested in knowing a little more about this breakaway.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-27-20, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Never celebrated X-mas and currently just do a sort of December gift exchange but if I had to pick something I want that is an actual physical item and not just a swift end to COVID and doing an Indonesian style punishment for those who don't believe in COVID and doing their part to end it...I would probably go with the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Takedown .22. I want something to modify that isn't a bike for once and really try for a super light build.

If it were more cycling related it would probably be tools at this point:
Beta T-Handle Wrenches
Snap-On Racheting Short Combination Wrenches 7-12
Abbey Socket Crombie (and maybe a bottom bracket tool and HAG)
Knipex Cable Cutters
Though if someone dropped of an XTR spider or chainrings for their M952 crankset I wouldn't say no to those especially if NOS or at least in good rideable condition.
Old 11-28-20, 09:20 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Interested in knowing a little more about this breakaway.
It's actually a folding design, not a breakaway - the rear triangle folds in, similar to how Bike Fridays fold. End result is that the bike fits in a square case that is just about the size of the wheel (same size box as the Ritchey Breakaway) - see photo for the design. Should make it easier to unpack and a LOT easier to travel with.

Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-28-20, 11:35 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
It's actually a folding design, not a breakaway - the rear triangle folds in, similar to how Bike Fridays fold. End result is that the bike fits in a square case that is just about the size of the wheel (same size box as the Ritchey Breakaway) - see photo for the design. Should make it easier to unpack and a LOT easier to travel with.

Could you pm some information about these bikes. I tried a quick google and could not find anything that looked like this. I am assuming it will be full sized like a Ritchey. I am all about finding something I can bring to work with me.
Thanks.
Old 11-28-20, 06:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Van support
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-28-20, 07:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
I would take 2 COVID vaccine shots for Xmas or shortly after. Got to live to enjoy the toys.

Resolution to my shoulder issues would be second.

Old 11-29-20, 11:06 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I made my purchases a couple of weeks ago. Cinelli Superstar disc frame, Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels, Juin-Tech brake calipers, Campy 160mm rotors, Michelin 28mm tubeless tires, Jagwire compressionless brake cable housing, Galfer brake pads, all times two. I sold two 2017 rim brake frames, two wheelsets, 6 extra tires and two brake sets on Ebay. Except for extra tires, I'm set for quite awhile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.