Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cable and Indexing Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cable and Indexing Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 06:15 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Cable and Indexing Help

Hey All,
I decided to wash and lube the bike/chain today and when I went to put the rear wheel back on, I noticed that the indexing was way off (e.g., I put it in the smallest cog before removing the wheel, and when I put the wheel back on, I couldn't shift to within 3 gears of the smallest cog).
So I checked the indexing and sure enough, it had gotten way off track (it was indexed prior to me removing the wheel)... I've also noticed this happened last time I removed the wheel.
So I took a closer look at the cabling and noticed this:

The cable had been pulled back and there was a gap between the cable housing and the housing that sits just on top of the barrel adjuster screw.
Basically it looks like the curve of the cable (from when it exits the frame and enters the RD) is too severe.
I gently pulled on the cable housing and re-inserted it into the housing that sits just on top of the barrel adjuster screw.
I then proceeded to index the gears (and it took an uncomfortable number of turns until I could even get all the gears to engage).
The cable now looks like this with the housing slightly split and frayed.

In addition, there is an additional piece of plastic housing where the cable enters the frame and it is split:

Basically what I think I did was pull too hard on the RD spring when I took the wheel off and it probably compressed/bent the cable housing enough to tear the additional housing around the BA and the one by the frame. (I don't know if this a common thing with guys who don't know what they're doing)
Have I screwed things up? Do I need to take it in to the LBS and have them work on/replace the cables?
From watching YouTube videos, I understand that cables can stretch over time, but how often do they need to be replaced?
Do I need to unscrew the cable completely from the RD and reset it somehow?
The limit screws seem fine (I didn't touch them). Anyway, any advice is appreciated; I'd like to avoid being stranded somewhere due to a broken/snapped shifter cable.
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Metallifan33; 12-15-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 06:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I believe you split/broke the ferrule cap. This can likely be replaced with keeping the cable and cable housing. Tough to say for sure but that’s what it looks like to me. So put RD in smallest cog, loosen cable at RD, slide off old ferrule cap, put new one on, verify housing end is smooth (or sand it smooth), replace cable in RD.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-15-20, 06:36 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
At worst its probably just a cable replacement. Unless you did something you don't realize. If you don't have the mechanical knowledge to fix it yourself take it to a shop and let them look at it. It might be ok as is or it may need a new cable. Hard to tell from pictures.
Likes For ls01:
Old 12-15-20, 09:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You've done an absolutely stellar job cleaning your bike. Hard to imagine you could get it that clean and not notice that housing, but hey...it happens. You might be able to pull the cable back some and trim the end of the housing and then put on a new ferrule.
ETA: Pretty much positive that grommet where the housing goes into the frame is supposed to be split.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-16-20, 10:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Not sure how indexing got messed up just by taking the wheel off and putting it on. Everything is installed back correctly I assume?
Old 12-16-20, 11:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Replace the housing.

IME, when housing starts to look frayed like that at the ends, it's time to replace it.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-16-20, 12:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Wow that is a clean cassette. Nice job.

Have you tried just shoving the housing back into the ferrule to see if it works? Don't get me wrong... it looks like the ferrule and housing should be replaced, but my guess is that it probably shifts fine if you stick it back in.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-16-20, 12:49 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by jadocs
Not sure how indexing got messed up just by taking the wheel off and putting it on. Everything is installed back correctly I assume?
Yeah... The last two times, I had to reindex after replacing the wheel. Haven't touched the limit screws, but it's pretty clear the indexing gets messed up as I can't even access all the gears when I first put the wheel on. It seems like the cable gets stretched/compressed when I remove/replace the wheel. I think I'm stretching the RD too much when I'm pulling the wheel off.
Old 12-16-20, 12:54 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wow that is a clean cassette. Nice job.

Have you tried just shoving the housing back into the ferrule to see if it works? Don't get me wrong... it looks like the ferrule and housing should be replaced, but my guess is that it probably shifts fine if you stick it back in.
Thanks. I've been under the whether this week and I've realized cleaning the bike is a therapeutic thing for me
I'll look up ferrule caps and pick one up.

**Edit** Do these things wear out often? Amazon seems to sell them in packs of 100

Last edited by Metallifan33; 12-16-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 01:15 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Thanks. I've been under the whether this week and I've realized cleaning the bike is a therapeutic thing for me
I'll look up ferrule caps and pick one up.

**Edit** Do these things wear out often? Amazon seems to sell them in packs of 100
If you go through 100 ferrule caps during your remaining lifetime I'd be seriously impressed.
Old 12-16-20, 07:57 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
There's an ally ferrule that Shimano does, or did, that's for that position in the barrel adjuster, since the plastic ones are prone to kinking. Works a lot better.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 12-17-20, 02:14 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by cubewheels
You didn't have to remove the rear wheel to clean and lube the drivetrain unless you had other reasons. It just raises the risk of damaging the bike (with one wrong move) in an otherwise simple drivetrain maintenance.
Huh. I didn't realize this. I remove the rear wheel often as I have an indoor trainer and only one bike. It's easier to clean the cassette and wheel with the wheel removed.
Old 12-17-20, 03:34 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
only one bike.
See the trouble being underbiked can cause?
Likes For znomit:
Old 12-17-20, 07:50 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Huh. I didn't realize this. I remove the rear wheel often as I have an indoor trainer and only one bike. It's easier to clean the cassette and wheel with the wheel removed.
Neither did anyone else. Take the wheel off whenever and as often as you want.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-17-20, 09:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Many BF members use another (cheap / used) bike for indoor training. It saves you time for many reasons and may save you money in the long run as well.

You should only be removing the wheels for fixing punctures / flats, fixing or inspecting wheel damage (if they do occur), replacing tires, disc rotors, etc. Things that don't usually happen more than once in two months.

No need to remove the wheel for washing. Any bike that is >$1000 can handle clean water without any issues so don't be afraid to get other parts of the bike wet.
You come up with weird stuff. Removing a wheel is not a destructive act and removing wheels for washing is quite common (to reach in to the tight spaces), even more so with disc bikes (so that calipers can be covered to avoid pad contamination).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-17-20, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You mention that several times you removed the wheel and had to re-index it after replacing. If everything is correct on your bike, removing and re-installing the wheel will never result in the need to re-index.

This probably should have been an indicator that something was going amok. I'd suggest your cable housing end never was completely in the end cap. Maybe the end cap wasn't even the right size for that cable.

For what ever reason it happened, you just need to replace the end cap from what I'm seeing in the picture. If the exposed cable ends are bent or loose, then trim a millimeter or two back on the housing.

Whether you do that or get new stuff, before you secure the cable in the holdfast of the DR, make certain every end of the cable housing is securely in their end cap if they use one and also securely in the cable stops where ever that cable is held to the frame.

Cable housing not being properly in their end caps and/or cable stops will give you unreliable shifts.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-17-20, 10:31 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
You didn't have to remove the rear wheel to clean and lube the drivetrain unless you had other reasons. It just raises the risk of damaging the bike (with one wrong move) in an otherwise simple drivetrain maintenance.
First of all amazing job cleaning your drivetrain. I would pay someone to get mine that clean!

Removing your wheel is not a destructive act and you could do it daily for a lifetime and not affect the bicycle, Riding a bike is more destructive than removing the wheel so not sure where this is coming from.

Looks like you are missing an alloy ferrule which usually terminates at the end of the cable housing. If the cable is a bit short that doesn't help either. Lastly, the rubber grommet is usually split to allow removal without having to thread the cable through.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-17-20, 03:47 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

No need to remove the wheel for washing. Any bike that is >$1000 can handle clean water without any issues so don't be afraid to get other parts of the bike wet.
If you want to clean something properly, you take it at least somewhat apart.

I'd be far more concerned about water ingress through the poxy seals in the junky cartridge bearings everyone but Shimano and Campy insists on using in even their flashest wheels, rather than any slightly higher possibility of damage from removing the wheels.

Last edited by Kimmo; 12-17-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 04:36 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by Iride01
Cable housing not being properly in their end caps and/or cable stops will give you unreliable shifts.
Yep, a good trick is to clamp the cable (not so tight it gets crushed, but tight enough not to slip), and shift the lever without pedalling to load up the cable and seat the housing in all the ferrules properly. Turn the cranks to release the tension without causing damage (releasing the tension via the shifter is a bad idea with escapement mechanisms). Then reclamp the cable, and adjust.

This pretty much eliminates "cable stretch" which isn't actually a thing.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 12-17-20, 08:58 PM
msu2001la

I take my wheels off every time I clean my bike. I also frequently swap between multiple wheelsets. I've never had to adjust the derailleur after doing this.
Old 12-17-20, 09:21 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
If you go through 100 ferrule caps during your remaining lifetime I'd be seriously impressed.
Not sure "impressed" is the word I would use...
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 12-17-20, 10:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Many BF members use another (cheap / used) bike for indoor training. It saves you time for many reasons and may save you money in the long run as well.

You should only be removing the wheels for fixing punctures / flats, fixing or inspecting wheel damage (if they do occur), replacing tires, disc rotors, etc. Things that don't usually happen more than once in two months.

Please...stop making it sound like taking a wheel off is dangerous. YOU are the one that needs training/practice if you can't do it properly. Don't tell others they shouldn't do it.
Likes For cxwrench: