Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 03:38 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
On another fun note, I think my heat just passed away.

Currently 64 in the house, and the heat won’t turn on. I recycled the breaker. It came on for about 6 mins and 43 seconds give or take a second or 2 and it shut off again. My knowledge of Hvac systems is about the same as my knowledge of bikes. Non existent.

We have home warranty so made the call. Expect to hear within 24 hours from the contractor. Of course this is totally unacceptable from my wife’s POV, somebody should be here now.

It’s a Gas system (90 percent sure, don’t judge me). Any of you gents want to drop some knowledge?
Absolutely, stop fiddling with it. You shouldn't be able to smell gas. Turn it off @ the switch for a minute. Turn it on and listen to it. Its going to go through its self check, you will hear the exhaust fan run for a minute or 3, there will be a audible click, thats the gas valve opening. And if you look into the vents where the burn box is, you will see a glow. Thats the igniter, no glow, no ignition, they crap out occasionally. If it lights off and dies could be flame sensor. You can clean it with a scotch right pad. Or pressure sensor. These are the most common things I remember
If you look in the lower vents there should be a blinking light or 2 lights blinking a specific pattern. If you open that panel there's normally a sheet telling you what the pattern is telling you.
All thats well and good for nothing. Because you won't be able to get parts. Well not very easily.
let a professional handle it is the best advice I can give you. Improperly repaired furnaces can be dangerous. So let's not take chances with safety
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-01-21, 03:41 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by abshipp
Nice. Two brands I've always wanted to try out.

I've been procrastinating with listing my bass cabinet on CL. Just need to do some minor soldering but I just can't find the motivation to do it.
Think of the bike parts you will buy....
Old 02-01-21, 03:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 6,753 Times in 3,526 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. That's why I finally bought mine. I have a gal on one side, some oldsters on the other, so their walks get done too. I'm getting to be an oldster too, so I figured it's time.
I'm still hand wringing over it. My driveway is so steep I doubt it will get back up the hill on it's own power. I do not look forward to winching. I've considered getting a tractor tread model, but maybe I should just move TF outta here.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-01-21, 04:32 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,569 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

Alternative: wait a few days and the snow will disappear on its own. No straining of the olds required.
Doesn't work here.
Old 02-01-21, 04:46 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10256 Post(s)
Liked 5,230 Times in 2,242 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Absolutely, stop fiddling with it. You shouldn't be able to smell gas. Turn it off @ the switch for a minute. Turn it on and listen to it. Its going to go through its self check, you will hear the exhaust fan run for a minute or 3, there will be a audible click, thats the gas valve opening. And if you look into the vents where the burn box is, you will see a glow. Thats the igniter, no glow, no ignition, they crap out occasionally. If it lights off and dies could be flame sensor. You can clean it with a scotch right pad. Or pressure sensor. These are the most common things I remember
If you look in the lower vents there should be a blinking light or 2 lights blinking a specific pattern. If you open that panel there's normally a sheet telling you what the pattern is telling you.
All thats well and good for nothing. Because you won't be able to get parts. Well not very easily.
let a professional handle it is the best advice I can give you. Improperly repaired furnaces can be dangerous. So let's not take chances with safety

you wanna come over?

Contractor showed up. Looks like I messed it up. I was having a hard time distributing the heat in the house and I closed one of the dampers completely at the unit. It caused the unit to over heat and shut off. He has it fixed now. He did let me know my unit or one of the cheapest ones out there and he is surprised it is still working.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-01-21, 05:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12899 Post(s)
Liked 7,824 Times in 4,156 Posts
LPLO.

Guess I'll post a pic from Ooostende, 2013.

Old 02-01-21, 05:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

... and a big pile o' bikes and the draw bridge lifted:

Old 02-01-21, 05:13 PM
ls01
he said member

you wanna come over?

Contractor showed up. Looks like I messed it up. I was having a hard time distributing the heat in the house and I closed one of the dampers completely at the unit. It caused the unit to over heat and shut off. He has it fixed now. He did let me know my unit or one of the cheapest ones out there and he is surprised it is still working.
that's great. Now you know about it. Start saving your shekels.
Old 02-01-21, 05:13 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11454 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,803 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I'm still hand wringing over it. My driveway is so steep I doubt it will get back up the hill on it's own power. I do not look forward to winching. I've considered getting a tractor tread model, but maybe I should just move TF outta here.

Decisions, decisions.
In your case, you need something to climb that hill. Mine isn't self propelled, and that's fine. I talked to folks that had propelled ones, and they said there's very little difference until you get into those big mothers. So far, I've been happy.
Old 02-01-21, 05:19 PM
ls01
he said member

So, they rescheduled Dads scope till tomorrow. His dr.s are unsure about what to do with him. The meds ha was on to unblock his arteries and the bi passes didn't work. They are going to go in through his groin tomorrow and look around so they can figure out what to do. He has one leg artery left. I think they are going to rule out any other treatments and do another bypass. I hope he is strong enough.
Old 02-01-21, 05:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18526 Post(s)
Liked 15,873 Times in 7,452 Posts
R.I.P. Screech.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193227699.html
Old 02-01-21, 05:27 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Yes.

No.
So... coal?
Old 02-01-21, 05:33 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

Decisions, decisions.
After the 3 foot snowfall storm the week before Christmas I was determined to buy a new one (prior owner left an old weak Craftsman). FIL found out and brought this beast Ariens that’s probably older than I am that clears snow better than anything I’ve ever seen. He has three of them in his “garage” which is more like a full blown engine shop, complete with a crane and all.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-01-21, 05:49 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Ooh, One in a Million: the Ron LeFlore Story is on Movies! channel

#blackhistorymonth
#americaspasstime
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-01-21, 06:07 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,569 Times in 2,528 Posts
So, they rescheduled Dads scope till tomorrow. His dr.s are unsure about what to do with him. The meds ha was on to unblock his arteries and the bi passes didn't work. They are going to go in through his groin tomorrow and look around so they can figure out what to do. He has one leg artery left. I think they are going to rule out any other treatments and do another bypass. I hope he is strong enough.
Hope so too.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-01-21, 06:08 PM
bampilot06

On NPR today they were interviewing a panel about bio hacking. One of the guests was convinced in the near future we will be able to live significantly longer. 200 maybe even 300 years old, and that the technology would be made available to anyone not just the super rich. Ethics were brought up along other problems. Not one person mentioned how the planet we live on would not be able to sustain this. Seems kind of a big deal and I am really disappointed that it wasn’t brought up.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-01-21, 06:08 PM
bampilot06

We will be thinking about him.
Old 02-01-21, 06:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Oh man, that's so.e bad news. Hope they can help him out!
Old 02-01-21, 06:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10537 Post(s)
Liked 12,114 Times in 6,200 Posts
that's great. Now you know about it. Start saving your shekels.
Yeah, and don't wait to replace it till it fails completely. Ask me how I know.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-01-21, 06:33 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 3,709 Times in 1,260 Posts
Think of the bike parts you will buy....
You know, I think you're on to something there...

Dang. Hoping for the best
Old 02-01-21, 06:39 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 3,709 Times in 1,260 Posts
Ugh.

I was super excited to go ride my 650b track bike today. Got like a mile and a half from home and the rear flatted. I only had enough daylight for a 45 minute ride so I made the call of shame.

So I got home and hopped on the trainer for a 4x4 VO2max workout. Since I'm pretty sure I underworked my initial FTP test I have been playing around with the number I put in that generates the power targets for the workouts to my Wahoo. That workout today showed me that whatever my FTP actually is, it is definitely not 240w. Oof.
Old 02-01-21, 06:40 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
On NPR today they were interviewing a panel about bio hacking. One of the guests was convinced in the near future we will be able to live significantly longer. 200 maybe even 300 years old, and that the technology would be made available to anyone not just the super rich. Ethics were brought up along other problems. Not one person mentioned how the planet we live on would not be able to sustain this. Seems kind of a big deal and I am really disappointed that it wasn’t brought up.
I listened to that story as well, found it fascinating. This may be a bit of an oversimplification but, when it comes to engineering, genetic or otherwise, it seems that we rarely seem to explore “why” and focus exclusively on “how”. It is as if engineering occurs in a bit of a moral vacuum. In the case of genetic engineering, seems to me that’s a mistake.
With respect to sustainability, it amazes me that we never hear discussions about global warming, carrying capacity and environmental degradation focus on limiting human population size. Seems a no brainer to me that, if we wish to preserve the planet, our primary focus should be on limiting the number of humans on it. I guess we consider ourselves so “special” or imbued with some divine spark that most folks figure the more the merrier. Our hubris will likely be our undoing. I guess some folks figure, once we use up this planet, we’ll hop onto another. Yeah, I know, I’m a dark, misanthropic cynic.
Likes For zatopek:
Old 02-01-21, 06:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10537 Post(s)
Liked 12,114 Times in 6,200 Posts
I've always figured what will happen will be that along about the time I turn 95, there'll be a treatment that can stop the aging process. Not reverse it, just stop it. You're stuck at whatever you are then.

Then I figure that if I decide to take it, in another 20 years, they'll develop a treatment that can REVERSE the aging process. BUT it only works on those who have NOT taken the 'Stop Aging' treatment, and I'll be stuck, permanently 95 years old, among a bunch of perpetual 20-somethings.

They better get the hell off my damn lawn.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-01-21, 06:58 PM
ls01
he said member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words, thank you.
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-01-21, 07:03 PM
ls01
he said member

I find it absolutely laughable that anyone would believe that no one would profit from anything that would increase the lifespan of human beings. No ethic, are stronger than Capitalism. "Snif snif, because I care" . Lol.
Interesting idea, but I gotta call b.s.
Likes For ls01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.