Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hennepin-I&M Canals and Old Plank Road Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 03:29 PM
Hibonite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to take a 2-day tour of this route but have found a lot of conflicting information online. Could someone tell me what the surface is like on the two canal trails and how it compares with other trails such as the Katy, GAP, C&O, or trails around Xenia, OH? It appears the Henn. was paved recently and this is not captured in most on-line reference to that trail. Also, what are they like if it rains. Is drainage good? How much is shaded in June? Also, are there any closures other than the western-most section of the Hennepin? What bridge is recommended across the river in Joliet? Finally, I'm thinking of camping at Illini State Park. Are there better options on that part of the trail?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-13, 06:00 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Take my info with a grain of salt because I haven't ridden those trails in 3 or 4 years but

the Plank was paved and a joy to ride,
I've done the I&M a couple of times the full length and it was fine in some areas and really rough/rutted in others. Yes there were some areas that were swampy but that will depend on your timing. I would not advise 23 or 25 road tires. 700x32 minimum or 26 X 1.5"
You have to be more specific on the Hennepin, how far west do you want to travel? 2 days if starting at the eastern end of the Plank and then the IM is a pretty good haul. I would not advise taking the northerly bound canal trail up towards Rock Falls unless they have improved that piece, unless you are riding a mountain bike with 2.0" tires and some suspension...very large rock and very rough. We bailed on that piece and went north to Reagan's birthplace via the county roads.

Last edited by robow; 05-31-13 at 06:05 PM.