Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compact Crankset for Campy 9 spd

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 04:38 PM
Hibonite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have a 53x39 crankset and 14-28 cassette 9 spd Campy Athena on my road bike. I'm looking to get a lower gear without wholesale replacement of the drivetrain since it works flawlessly - the Chorus shifters were rebuilt a few years ago; it's just not geared low enough for what I want to do. It looks like my best option is to go with a 50x34 crankset to maintain a reasonable high gear (50x14) and get a lower low (34x28). I'm leaning toward sticking with a square taper BB and going with a Sugino XD 110BCD crank. I'd like to stay with silver-colored aluminum vs black for aesthetics. It's hard to find Campy cranks that fit these requirements and I don't want to go to a triple. I'm looking for other options that I haven't considered before pulling the trigger. Suggestions?
Old 02-11-20, 05:51 PM
oldtrekguy

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400 2009 Kona Jake the Snake 1993 Bianchi Forza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a Campy nine-speed Mirage 50/34 crankset and BB that I would sell you cheap - its black though. PM me if interested.

I'm trying something similar. I have a Campy Centaur (silver) eleven-speed 50/34 crank - the rest of the drivetrain is 10-speed. I haven't fitted the chain yet, so no real life experience, but it "should" work.

BTW, the central bolt on the Centaur installs from the NON-DRIVE SIDE, not the Drive Side. It took me a long time to figure this out - I are not smart...

Good luck with your project!

Bill
Old 02-11-20, 06:01 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I'm running Chorus 8 with a 9speed Speedlight Impact 34/50 on a Shimano BB