Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link in a normal suitcase

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 03:53 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts

I have a Dahon Airporter flight case but it’s over the maximum suitcase dimensions for Iberia Airlines.

I thought I would see if I could fit my Tern into a standard (albeit large) suitcase.

This was the procedure:

Remove rear rack
Remove both mudguards (they’re not coming to Madrid)
Remove frame magnet clamp

Then:

Chain off
Rear derailleur off and zip tie to frame
Wheelset off, QRs remove and bagged up
Pedals off
Crankset off
Seperate handlebar and tower

That was about it!

I also packed the tools required for assembly and disassembly in Madrid

Quick Link pliers
Square taper crank extractor
4/5/6mm allen keys
Zip ties

Anyway, photos to follow. Disassembly was about 20 minutes and should be faster next time.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 04-05-24, 04:00 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
I have a Dahon Airporter flight case but it’s over the maximum suitcase dimensions for Iberia Airlines.

I thought I would see if I could fit my Tern into a standard (albeit large) suitcase.

This was the procedure:

Remove rear rack
Remove both mudguards (they’re not coming to Madrid)
Remove frame magnet clamp

Then:

Chain off
Rear derailleur off and zip tie to frame
Wheelset off, QRs remove and bagged up
Pedals off
Crankset off
Seperate handlebar and tower

That was about it!

I also packed the tools required for assembly and disassembly in Madrid

Quick Link pliers
Square taper crank extractor
4/5/6mm allen keys
Zip ties

Anyway, photos to follow. Disassembly was about 20 minutes and should be faster next time.
Pics or nunca sucedió.
Old 04-05-24, 07:19 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 04-05-24, 10:50 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Do you unscrew the rear derailleur? I was told to undo it and tape it to the frame to avoid bending the hanger
Old 04-05-24, 04:23 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 357 Posts
Tell us about your cycling plans in España.
Old 04-05-24, 10:27 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 342 Posts
OP: This was what I am expecting, to fly with my similar bifold Dahon Speed. My rear rack is a tall one, I figured to detach and nest around a wheel. My only question is if it will still all fit then under 62", or will I need to break up into 2 separate checked bags. Notably, I have a tall fixed stem, cannot telescope short, and the handlebar clamp does not open like later clamshell style, so would be ridiculous effort and at least an hour on each end to take everything off the handebar to slide it out of the stem. I love the height and rigidity of that stem, but perhaps I can find an aftermarket fixed stem in that height with a clamshell opening clamp. Although I still could not transport the handlebars in a different parcel without disconnecting all the cables. Better if I can put all into one.

Did you need to separate the handlebars from the upper stem? I do notice you have separated the stem bottom from the above, but can't see the handlebars. Thanks.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-05-24 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 09:21 AM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by Fentuz
Do you unscrew the rear derailleur? I was told to undo it and tape it to the frame to avoid bending the hanger
yes and yes.
Old 04-07-24, 09:22 AM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Tell us about your cycling plans in España.
I have 5 1/2 days in Madrid. I need to get around the city; I don’t think I will venture further afield.
Old 04-07-24, 09:25 AM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
OP: This was what I am expecting, to fly with my similar bifold Dahon Speed. My rear rack is a tall one.

Did you need to separate the handlebars from the upper stem? I do notice you have separated the stem bottom from the above, but can't see the handlebars. Thanks.
Lose the rack for your trip.

The lower half of the handlebar tower is still attached to the frame/headset. The upper half is detached. The handlebar and extender are also unscrewed.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Old 04-07-24, 09:56 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Lose the rack for your trip.

The lower half of the handlebar tower is still attached to the frame/headset. The upper half is detached. The handlebar and extender are also unscrewed.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Thanks. If I traveled with my current bike, it would be with rack and panniers for self-contained touring. If I didn't need that, I'd get a Brompton clone for much easier transport everywhere. Given the combination of cheap lodging and restaurant food in many southeast Asia countries that sell clones, I'd consider flying there sans bike, buy a clone, credit-card tour, fly home with bike, save the $300 shipping to USA.
Likes For Duragrouch: