Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with choosing parts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help with choosing parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 04:11 PM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Help with choosing parts

Hello, as a relative beginner with two of my own bike and two others to look after for other members of the family, I have a question I hope you can help me with.
One of my bikes is a Hoy Shizoka which I ride to work every day and I get on very well with.
My question is, how do I buy replacement parts, especially for the chain set. I know the size of my cassette but not the make. And I wonder whether I need the same make chain as cassette?
Ultimately, does it matter what chain I get for the cassette as long as it's the right size?
And it's the same question for my more recent purchase of a Fairlight Strael.
I presume the fact that it has a shimano 105 groupset means I should simply stick to that when buying all the component parts.
My son also inherited my Condor road bike with Campagnolo Veloce chainset. Again, I imagine just buying like for like replacements for that. Is that right.
I guess the main thin is that with the Hoy, I don't really know what the chainset is. The cranks say 'Truvativ'. The rear deraileur says 'sram x4'. Should I be looking for Sram x4 compatible chain and cassette?
Any help is gratefully received
Old 10-25-20, 05:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Shimano or Shimano-compatible (SRAM are) cassettes with the same number of cogs will be fine, except the bike with Campagnolo will require Campagnolo replacement cassettes. As to chains, any chain which fits the number of speeds at the rear will work fine; the pitch (1/2") is the same across all. I recommend a chain which has a master link/quick link to close it. You will need to shorten the chain to the same number of links as the old one; this will require the use of a chain tool.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-26-20, 02:06 AM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Shimano or Shimano-compatible (SRAM are) cassettes with the same number of cogs will be fine, except the bike with Campagnolo will require Campagnolo replacement cassettes. As to chains, any chain which fits the number of speeds at the rear will work fine; the pitch (1/2") is the same across all. I recommend a chain which has a master link/quick link to close it. You will need to shorten the chain to the same number of links as the old one; this will require the use of a chain tool.
Thank you very much for your clear, succinct answer.