Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

any decent walmart bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

any decent walmart bikes?

Old 09-28-20, 12:43 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Denali thread...

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Any bike is better than no bike. The Walmart bikes are built well enough to comply with US regulations and to avoid lawsuits (America has nearly 60% of the world's lawyers). The paint and the coating on the wheels may not be so durable, and the nipples on the spokes may corrode more easily, but keeping the bike clean and oiled will limit these problems. I have known some odd types who have bought Walmart bikes and ridden them longer and harder than many roadies.
Speaking of people riding Walmart bikes harder and longer, there was a thread started in 06 I believe that was started by a guy who wanted to see if he could kill a Denali in 90 days. He reported speeds and distances that were astounding and a little hard to believe.
The thread only lasted for six months I think but went on for pages of very entertaining reading. I read all the way through it, took hours to read but what else do we have to do during this pandemic.

I've looked for it since but can't find it.

So to keep on topic, he upgraded it but kept the split handlebars and some of the other parts and couldn't break it and he said he rode it more than 2,000 miles in 90 days!!
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 09-28-20, 12:59 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Many years ago I bought 1 of those GMC Denalis when visiting my family for the holidays. It was cheaper than taking my bike on the plane. I took my pedals and saddle in my suitcase. I rode it every day for a week and sold it to my brother. He commuted a couple days a week on it for a year until his wife trashed the front wheel in an incident with a car on her way to the gym.
Old 09-29-20, 12:14 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned before spend some time on the KevCentral channel on youtube, he's pretty good at finding the gems and calling out the duds @ Walmart
Old 09-29-20, 12:19 PM
Paul930
Old

Bikes: Trek 930.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I actually just bought my wife a new bike from Walmart because she wanted it and I was surprised to see the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal gear hub on the bike. It was the only adult bike on the floor. Has front Caliper brakes and a rear drum brake. It was $198

Yep. “Happy Wife” has its own inestimable value. You are obviously a very intelligent human.
Likes For Paul930:
Old 09-29-20, 12:40 PM
Paul930
Old

Bikes: Trek 930.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by windy7777
or still mostly garbage?
Read all the posts. Final answer: better than no bike at all.
Old 09-29-20, 08:58 PM
bikeblonde

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No
Likes For bikeblonde:
Old 09-29-20, 11:22 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by windy7777
or still mostly garbage?
https://www.youtube.com/user/KevCentral/videos
This guy has done numerous reviews on Walmart bikes. Check him out
Old 10-02-20, 09:53 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Even if the WalMart bike was decent, the assembly of it by WalMart would be iffy t the least if not downright dangerous.

Cheers
Amen to that. Seems like I spend from December 26th until sometime in June re-assembling/repairing neighborhood kids bikes that "Santa" picked from Wally World.
Old 10-02-20, 10:01 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever been to Walmart? They might have a decent rear derailleur but I've yet to see a decent front one.
Old 10-02-20, 11:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I know of a few bicycle shops that won't work on a department store bike unless it's a very simple fix.. They say that once something goes it's usually other things ready to go too. Tolerances on the components are so bad that it's usually cheaper to just replace the comp-onent although even that can soon add up with labour to the price of another cheap department store bike.

A great example of that is rear index shifting that goes out of kilter. Usually the rear derailleur pivots have worn and often the bike came with spiral wound cable housing instead of index housing. Changing the derailleur and the housing (and usually the cable) and paying for the labour at a bike shop can be almost as much as a cheap BSO.

Cheers