Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wireless cyclometer problems--BS or ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 02:19 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts

Was talking with a friend (from the York PA area) today. He mentioned that a couple of LBS's around him were only selling wired cyclometers, as they had been having problems with wireless units. Not talking fancy-just your basic cyclometer. I have 4 diff.brands on 4 diff bikes-2 have some age, 1 is relatively young, and 1 is new. Not a problem with any of them. Have you heard anything like this--sounds to me like maybe they're trying to sell the less popular wired units, but I would hope a LBS wouldn't stoop to falsehoods regarding wireless units. Anyone heard of problems with wireless units--it's a first for me.
Old 10-14-20, 02:22 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Was talking with a friend (from the York PA area) today. He mentioned that a couple of LBS's around him were only selling wired cyclometers, as they had been having problems with wireless units. Not talking fancy-just your basic cyclometer. I have 4 diff.brands on 4 diff bikes-2 have some age, 1 is relatively young, and 1 is new. Not a problem with any of them. Have you heard anything like this--sounds to me like maybe they're trying to sell the less popular wired units, but I would hope a LBS wouldn't stoop to falsehoods regarding wireless units. Anyone heard of problems with wireless units--it's a first for me.
Never heard of that. Are they talking about a specific brand?
Old 10-14-20, 02:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
My wireless CatEye Padrone is prone to randomly resetting trip distance during rides, which is why I no longer use it.
Old 10-14-20, 02:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've had issues with a flashing headlight interfering with wireless computers. Usually fixed by moving the two devices farther apart on the bars and/or not using the strobe.

Had one other unit that failed to read if the sensor was too far from the head unit. Solved that by mounting the sensor closer to the stem than the hub.
Old 10-14-20, 02:39 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Never heard of that. Are they talking about a specific brand?
Specific brand wasn't mentioned--sounded like in general when he was talking about it.
Old 10-14-20, 02:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If the transmitter and the receiver are too far apart you can get some strange behaviour such as going 200 kph us a steep hill. LOL

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-14-20, 06:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Wireless computers -- from simple to GPS types that can sync to mobile devices -- can be a bit finicky to set up.

As other folks noted, some LED lights can interfere with wireless connectivity. Moving the headlight or computer a few inches apart usually helps.

Some low end basic wireless computers have very limited range. I have one that can reliably transmit only 18"-24", so the sensor must be on the front wheel only if the receiver is on the handlebar or stem. No-go if I want to use it on the rear wheel for indoor trainer sessions, unless I move the sensor/display unit to the top tube closer to the saddle, or set it on a table next to the bike/trainer setup. That's the main reason I finally stopped using my first wireless bike computer.

Since then I've used a 2012 era Wahoo kit that converted my iPhone 4s to an ANT+ receiver, with magnet based speed/cadence sensors mounted on the chain stay to pick up magnets on the wheel and crank. That's great for indoor trainer sessions, but too bulky for everyday rides. The battery drained after only an hour or so outdoors with the display on. The magnet type sensors were generally reliable but there were a few areas with radio frequency interference that caused some screwy data.

Now I'm using a low priced but pretty good XOSS G+ GPS computer that syncs to Strava after rides. It's pretty basic but does what I need. It's compatible with my Bluetooth and ANT+ devices. The earth induction type speed/cadence sensor has spiky data more often than the magnet type sensors, but it's not bad.

If I was concerned about accuracy for short segments or some sort of contest, I might go back to wired computers. But all of my wireless setups have been accurate enough for my purposes. There's hardly any difference between data from my phone using GPS only, compared with magnet based ANT+ and earth induction Bluetooth sensors. The minor discrepancies in average speed, distance, time, etc., aren't worth worrying about since I'm rarely in contention for a KOM where one or two seconds might matter. On my best day I'm 2-3 seconds behind the top ten on short sprint zones, and a full minute or more behind the KOM on favorite 5-6 mile time trial segments.
Old 10-14-20, 06:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
No issues with my wireless (non-GPS) Sigma, even when wearing a separate Polar HRM, while running an LED front blinky light.

My beef with my GPS cycle computer and Strava, since you axed my opine, is that they don’t accurately capture speed, ergo average speed. They are both about 1 MPH slower:

Rode a road with trees,
filled with leaves,
and my speed dropped by 2,
which I knew,
was total BS.
The end.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-14-20 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Rhyme time
Old 10-14-20, 07:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
They still sell wired cycle computers?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-14-20, 07:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Speaking of wired... This spring I had to give last rights to my 30 year old Avocet cyclometer with altitude functions. It was a sad day since it was so intuitive with an easy to read, yet compact, display. Too bad the company went TU.

Old 10-14-20, 08:09 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
On two separate rides with my Cateye Padrone, I looked down while stopped to see that I was going 62 miles an hour and racking up huge miles by the second. I had recently decided to try wireless again after I had given it up because it would stop working when the temperature was below 25 degrees. Realizing that I only wanted basic functions anyway (I hate having my cycling experience reduced to numbers), I got a Cateye Velo 9 wired computer for each of my 6 bikes. Problems solved.
Old 10-14-20, 10:17 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
They still sell wired cycle computers?
Just bought one for the Schwinn. Sigma 7.16. One battery every 1000 hours vs two every 300 hours is six times fewer batteries consumed and three times longer I don’t have to think about it. They also can attach both sensor and computer base with O-rings (rather than those annoying cable ties) and the O-Rings are reusable and don’t slip. Cool.

I’m riding an old bike converted to SS. I don’t want my rides to turn into a research project or a social media event, but sometimes I like to confirm what I think my speed is and also to be able to get home on time. It’s all good! 😊

Otto
Old 10-15-20, 12:48 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Never any problem with my Cateye Strada Slim. My wife has a far older Cateye no problems there either. I may put my light near it to see if there is any reaction.
Old 10-15-20, 06:06 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Never any problem with my Cateye Strada Slim. My wife has a far older Cateye no problems there either. I may put my light near it to see if there is any reaction.
That is the one I had that had issues with the strobe. Had two of them with slightly different problems with each. But like I said was easy to fix.
Old 10-15-20, 09:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
If the transmitter and the receiver are too far apart you can get some strange behaviour such as going 200 kph us a steep hill. LOL

Cheers
During a charity ride in heavy rain my old Flight Deck started acting up. Before it finally gave out it had me going nearly 70 mph up a steep hill. For fun I looked at my average speed and got a good laugh.
Old 10-15-20, 09:25 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Mine will occasionally indicate I'm riding at half speed. Like I'll be tooling along at 18 MPH and then it will briefly flash 9 MPH and then right back to 18. So I assume the odometer function is also only measuring half the distance for that short period. Probably not a big discrepancy but over a 10-20-30+ mile ride, I wonder how much it is off by? A half mile? A tenth? Too little to matter? I have no idea.

If I remember to do so, I might relocate the sensor up or down on the fork and see if its angle vs. the magnet makes any difference.
Old 10-16-20, 03:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Wireless computers can have a lot of errors and don't work so well around radio transmitters and the like. They aren't all terrible in all places but wires can be helpful unless you are going to something more modern like the "GPS" style units like Wahoo Elmnt or Garmin 1000...

I rarely if ever see problems with wired units but frequently see people with problems with wireless stuff though I wouldn't go completely agains them as that shop has.
Old 10-16-20, 04:00 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
On two separate rides with my Cateye Padrone, I looked down while stopped to see that I was going 62 miles an hour and racking up huge miles by the second. I had recently decided to try wireless again after I had given it up because it would stop working when the temperature was below 25 degrees. Realizing that I only wanted basic functions anyway (I hate having my cycling experience reduced to numbers), I got a Cateye Velo 9 wired computer for each of my 6 bikes. Problems solved.
My cycling computer wants at this point in time are similar to yours, and I don't mind the wired aspect of it. When I was looking at bike computers a few months ago, the Cateye Velo 7 was a pretty easy choice for me.
Old 10-16-20, 04:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
no interference issues with the wahoo device, but it has "lost & attempted [successfully] to recover data during the one ride I was relying on it for data after the ride. All other rides it has been a gem. The entry cost is not for the shallow pockets, but it has changed my aggravated cycling focus onto other things.
Old 10-16-20, 11:35 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I will never trust them, any more than a used car salesman. LOL
My Sigma wired ones are 99.8 % accurate 99.8% of the time. I roll the bike by a measuring tape and then add a few mm for wiggling and loading. I'll take accuracy and ease of use over pretty, every time. I also use the temperature reading in my apartment all the time. I'm pretty sure it is 99.5% accurate for that as well.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-16-20 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 11:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I will never trust them, any more than a used car salesman. LOL
My Sigma wired ones are 99.8 % accurate 99.8% of the time. I roll the bike by a measuring tape and then add a few mm for wiggling and loading. I'll take accuracy and ease of use over pretty, every time. I also use the temperature reading in my apartment all the time. I'm pretty sure it is 99.5% accurate for that as well.
Same with my wireless Sigma. Love it.

Old 10-17-20, 12:19 PM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
BS. Zero problems using Cateyes for years, before switching to BikeWest for bigger, easier to read numbers and more functions. Solar powered too, to augment battery.