Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 12:38 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, that’s a big weakness of electronic shifters - they don’t work if you disconnect the battery wire. Luckily, mechanical shifters are foolproof - they continue to work if you disconnect the shift cable. Oh, wait ...
He had to ride mtb instead until he had time to think what was happening. So yes, that was easy to diagnose.

If I had a mechanical shifter with a disconnected cable I think I'd notice that the day before the ride. And even if I didn't, I could replace the cable in less than 10 minutes.
Old 10-23-20, 07:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
He had to ride mtb instead until he had time to think what was happening. So yes, that was easy to diagnose.

If I had a mechanical shifter with a disconnected cable I think I'd notice that the day before the ride. And even if I didn't, I could replace the cable in less than 10 minutes.
You'd think you'd notice. But how many of us have had a shifter cable break while on a ride? I have. Once on my Raleigh and once on a bike I had long long ago.
Old 10-23-20, 08:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Am I missing something? What are others' thoughts on electronic shifting?
I can't find any decent rationale for electronic shifting, unless it gets smart enough to do it all for me.

At the same time, I am strangely tempted to buy a solenoid and one of the microcontroller project kits and build one. Because I'm attracted to cool but pointless ideas I guess.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-23-20, 08:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by Iride01
You'd think you'd notice. But how many of us have had a shifter cable break while on a ride? I have. Once on my Raleigh and once on a bike I had long long ago.
Never in 20 years. I inspect my bikes regularly.
Old 10-23-20, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Never in 20 years. I inspect my bikes regularly.
Well you have another 30 years to be able to compare with mine. I used to be finicky too and in my early days took my bikes apart down to the bearings and beyond.

Still, no one is forcing you to use electronic shifting..... yet. I still feel that eventually it will be the norm. And it's just a different skill set that you will need to learn.
Old 10-23-20, 09:50 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
But what do you see more- Campag equipped bikes or Colnago's?
Aside from my own Campagnolo equipped Colnago's I don't see many others out there, around where I live.
Likes For mrblue:
Old 10-23-20, 11:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Apparently SteveB didn't happen to look at his bike the day before the ride. So, what's your point complaint?
Old 10-23-20, 11:37 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It would be so much easier for people to just say, "I like what I have" rather than trying to come up with reasons why others have to agree with them, or why others' choices are wrong. But then, there would be a lot fewer threads on BF.
I think this sums it up. I think this question, as well as disc brakes on road bikes, comes down to personality and philosophy. I find a simple bicycle that I understand how to work on appealing. I'm spending way more time with technology trying to be a teacher during a pandemic so I appreciate my analog bicycle even more. I don't even use a gps computer on my rides generally unless I'm exploring an unfamiliar route. I totally accept that others feel differently and I'm willing to acknowledge that electronic shifting is better performing--I just don't care.

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 10-23-20, 11:44 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Earlier this year BC (Before COVID) I purchased a bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS.

So far I haven't been very impressed with electronic shifting or at least with SRAM's electronic shifting. I haven't tried EPS or Di2 so I can't really compare apples to apples. However I do have a couple of other bikes with Shimano Ultegra, 105, Campy Record 12 and Chorus 12--all mechanical. I don't think the SRAM eTap shifts any more consistently or reliably than any other groupset I have. As a matter of fact I sometimes think the mechanical groupsets might shift better. The one thing I do think is pretty cool, but not all necessary, is the wireless connectivity.

Am I missing something? What are others' thoughts on electronic shifting?
After 25 years of Campy only, building up all of my bikes for over 25 years, I took the leap from Chorus 12 to Force AXS. I'm sure that I could shift my Chorus 12 bike more quickly, but I do like the Force AXS. It is much more expensive than Chorus 12, even with a 4 piece group bought for $1000 instead of the $1650 MSRP. Chorus 12 is still the low price leader for 12 speed.

My bikes both have internally routed cables and they are a pain to deal with. I also have some problems with cable friction, even with Campy's latest maximum smoothness cables for 12 speed. Force is so easy to set up that it's ridiculous, although there are some people who spend hours setting up the FD, that I did just this morning in about 15 minutes. I got my first disc brake frame recently and I'm trading parts over from one bike to another.

I'm finding a lot more cross compatibility than expected with Force. I managed to run the new 10-36 cassette with the standard FD, not the wide model and also found that the Campy 12 cranks work fine with AXS. I'm also using Shimano GRX 46/30 11 speed cranks with AXS, but I do use some shim washers to eliminate the +2.5mm chainline.
Old 10-23-20, 11:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by David in Maine
I think this sums it up. I think this question, as well as disc brakes on road bikes, comes down to personality and philosophy. I find a simple bicycle that I understand how to work on appealing. I'm spending way more time with technology trying to be a teacher during a pandemic so I appreciate my analog bicycle even more. I don't even use a gps computer on my rides generally unless I'm exploring an unfamiliar route. I totally accept that others feel differently and I'm willing to acknowledge that electronic shifting is better performing--I just don't care.
Quit acting like a mature adult.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-23-20, 11:58 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Quit acting like a mature adult.
Old 10-23-20, 12:44 PM
WouterO

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Potenza, Van Nicholas Rowtag Ekar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've considered electronic shifting for my latest N+1 purchase, but decided not. I'm using my bicycles for long multi-day and sometimes multi-week trips, and another set of batteries that need charging is unwelcome. In addition, I *can* fix a broken drivetrain on the road when it's mechanical, but that's unlikely when it's electronic. Finally, I expect any electronic shifting system to be obsolete in about ten years. I know that when I maintain my mechanical campagnolo gruppo well it will last for at least forty years. But will I be able to re-program or read out my EPS, Di2 or Etap in forty years? Surely not.

Last edited by WouterO; 10-23-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 12:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by WouterO
I've considered electronic shifting for my latest N+1 purchase, but decided not. I'm using my bicycles for long multi-day and sometimes multi-week trips, and another set of batteries that need charging is unwelcome. In addition, I *can* fix a broken drivetrain on the road when it's mechanical, but that's unlikely when it's electronic. Finally, I expect any electronic shifting system to be obsolete in about ten years. I know that when I maintain my mechanical campagnolo gruppo well it will last for at least forty years. But will I be able to re-program or read out my EPS, Di2 or Etap in fourty years? Surely not.
I'd stick with external cables for ease of replacement.

Electronic is not for everyone and every circumstance.

Do you plan on bringing a cell phone?
Old 10-23-20, 01:05 PM
WouterO

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Potenza, Van Nicholas Rowtag Ekar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I'd stick with external cables for ease of replacement.

Electronic is not for everyone and every circumstance.

Do you plan on bringing a cell phone?
+1 for the statement about external cables.

And yes, I do bring a cell-phone, but keeping it charged over a week of bikepacking is not always trivial. Then I have to keep my GPS unit alive, and a GoPro if time and opportunity allows...
Old 10-23-20, 01:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by WouterO
+1 for the statement about external cables.

And yes, I do bring a cell-phone, but keeping it charged over a week of bikepacking is not always trivial. Then I have to keep my GPS unit alive, and a GoPro if time and opportunity allows...
FYI... I get around 800 miles on a charge using Sram eTap. And that's when the RD LED goes from green to red. If I swap front to rear batteries,I bet I can get 1000 miles before both need a charge.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-23-20, 01:17 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Not doing electronic at the moment because I don't need it - my 10sp Ergos were just overhauled and are crisp&delightful, and I have a few 10sp cassettes to get through. I used to be skeptical of electronic, but I acknowledge that electronic's the future, and I'm sure I'll love it when I ultimately make the change. Really, the only hurdles I can see are (i) the cost - I'm not ready to fork out for Super Record - let's see some trickle-down to Chorus, and (ii) having to retrofit my frame for electronic - I have a 20-year old Ti frame that I love and don't want to replace. There are firms that can apparently retrofit Ti for electronic (and disks, although I'm not wild about them trying to cold set 6/4 Ti for a wider rear hub), which would likely be cheaper than a whole new frame. The other option is to hold out and see if Campag come out with wireless electronic.
Old 10-23-20, 04:42 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Aside from my own Campagnolo equipped Colnago's I don't see many others out there, around where I live.
Around me, there are a couple other people with campag equipped bikes (mostly older 10 speed stuff) but I have never seen a modern Colnago in the wild.

Last edited by vespasianus; 10-23-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 05:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Apparently SteveB didn't happen to look at his bike the day before the ride. So, what's your point complaint?
I was diligent the first year or so to check that the system was functioning before leaving the house if doing a remote ride. It always was and is, for years, so you kind of take it for granted. I’d bet few folks actually run the shifters on a mechanical system before a ride to make sure no cables have broken. Funny that in order to get the BT back I had to basically re-boot the bike. Same kind of troubleshooting you do with a phone.
Old 10-23-20, 05:46 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I love my Di2. No broken shifter cables, no jumping gears, set it & forget it, auto-trim, dumping gears with one click, switching Garmin screens with buttons on the hood, sprint shifters (I ride on the drops a lot), and countless other stuff. Di2 looked like an unnecessary luxury until I owned a bike with it now it's a must-have.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 10-23-20, 05:51 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I have four road bikes - all have the Ultegra Di2 groupset. Two are 10 speed, two are 11 speed. I will never by a bike without Di2. Anything you read about batteries dead is wrong. The shifting is crisp, precise, reliable and maintenance free. Worth every nickel. That’s over 30,000 miles of hard riding experience talking.

FWIW, 19 of 21 Tour de France teams ride Dura Ace Di2............
Old 10-26-20, 01:29 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well you have another 30 years to be able to compare with mine. I used to be finicky too and in my early days took my bikes apart down to the bearings and beyond.

Still, no one is forcing you to use electronic shifting..... yet. I still feel that eventually it will be the norm. And it's just a different skill set that you will need to learn.
The problem with electronics is that it's not a skillset that you can learn. Most electronics, including Di2, run on propietary software. You don't know how it works, Shimano doesn't want you to know, and unless you reverse engineer it, you won't know. So if a firmware update makes it fail or whatever happens, you're screwed regardless of what skills you have.
Old 10-26-20, 01:43 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Auto - shift

I'm waiting to buy a new bike. I will wait till it shifts by itself and I don't have to pedal.. 😎
Old 10-26-20, 01:47 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
The problem with electronics is that it's not a skillset that you can learn. Most electronics, including Di2, run on propietary software. You don't know how it works, Shimano doesn't want you to know, and unless you reverse engineer it, you won't know. So if a firmware update makes it fail or whatever happens, you're screwed regardless of what skills you have.
bingo. I had several phones break because the " updates" maxed out the memory or something. I hate tech you can't fix. But I find most people will buy something if it easier to use regardless if they understand and can fix it. Look at cars??
Old 10-26-20, 04:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

How did you post this? Did a 12 year old help?

Seriously, I have Sram eTap, left shifts left, right shifts right and both changed the chainring.

Doesn't seem that hard.
Old 10-26-20, 05:43 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by GlennR
How did you post this? Did a 12 year old help?

Seriously, I have Sram eTap, left shifts left, right shifts right and both changed the chainring.

Doesn't seem that hard.
Are you a 12 year old? it seems you have read my post but are still trying to understand what I said. I may not be a native english speaker, but I think the meaning is quite clear.

You knowing what button does what has nothing to do with having an idea of how the system works at the electronic/software level. You simply don't know that and won't be able to unless you are a SRAM or Shimano engineer.

It's true that, theoretically, you don't need to know it to use the system. Until your system fails and is out of warranty and SRAM considers it obsolete. Meanwhile, there are lots of 30 year old derailleurs that still work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.