Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Looking for vintage bicycle appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 10:59 AM
Boris Dog

Bikes: Dawes Giro 600 Audax, Brompton S Type

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Holy Moly. Best of luck untangling them all.
Likes For Boris Dog:
Old 09-27-20, 11:07 AM
Prairiewind

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boris Dog
Holy Moly. Best of luck untangling them all.
And that's just the overflow. There's still a 4,000sqft showroom/shop we haven't even been inside of yet!
Old 09-27-20, 11:23 AM
Boris Dog

Bikes: Dawes Giro 600 Audax, Brompton S Type

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll have the green one at the back.
Old 09-27-20, 11:35 AM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boris Dog
I'll have the green one at the back.
See I would have guessed that you would want the yellow one at the very bottom 😂
Old 09-27-20, 06:43 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Burned rafters.
Univega tandems.
Rims akimbo in the grass.
A schoolbus storage unit.
I wish you luck.
Old 09-28-20, 12:04 AM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Burned rafters.
Univega tandems.
I wish you luck.
So far the out building stuff has been less than impressive. We get access to the former showroom tomorrow. I definitely didn't want to wait until the last minute to start putting feelers out. Definitely doesn't help matters finding NOS parts mixed in with all the other chaos.
Old 09-28-20, 08:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Burned rafters.
Univega tandems.
I wish you luck.
This reminded me of a two stanza haiku. Here goes:

Charred rafters hanging.
Tangled heaps disguised.

Mystery levers.
A school bus storage unit.
I wish you bonne chance.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-28-20, 08:34 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
So far appears former shop owner turned hoarder.

the art, love, time and money equation calculus will be looming.

there is undoubtedly some gems but like panning for gold, how much time per gram?
Old 09-28-20, 09:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Oof, big job. best of luck.
Old 09-28-20, 12:38 PM
rccardr 

Originally Posted by Prairiewind
So far the out building stuff has been less than impressive. We get access to the former showroom tomorrow. I definitely didn't want to wait until the last minute to start putting feelers out. Definitely doesn't help matters finding NOS parts mixed in with all the other chaos.
Aha.
In that case, am hoping that the former showroom has been relatively well sealed for-what, fifteen years?- and contains row after row of dusty but worthy steeds for you to process out.
Old 09-29-20, 02:39 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I apologize for the delay. The inside of the building was a bit overwhelming. Aside from bicycles there's almost anything you can think of. But I kept the pictures strictly in the bicycle world.

Old 09-29-20, 04:53 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
You might want to rent a BIG dumpster and keep it handy.
Old 09-29-20, 08:13 PM
rccardr 

Hard to say just from those pics. BMX stuff is doing well these days, but am personally completely ignorant about that segment of the hobby.
Hopefully there’s enough good stuff in boxes to make the effort worthwhile.
It’s always sad when a business dies, even more so when the owner does as well.
Old 09-29-20, 08:47 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Just wow not that it helps much the Nos yellow Kashimax saddles are worth $30 a piece plus shipping on Ebay and well likely sell in minutes.
Old 09-29-20, 08:49 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Just wow not that it helps much the Nos yellow Kashimax saddles are worth $30 a piece plus shipping on Ebay and well likely sell in minutes.
I think I counted 4 boxes full. Same model just different colors
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-29-20, 08:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Originally Posted by Prairiewind
I think I counted 4 boxes full. Same model just different colors
WOW
Old 09-29-20, 09:18 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Your going to make some Schwinn guys day soon!
Old 09-30-20, 06:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
How much time do you have to sell all of this stuff? Is the balance point more towards clear it all out, or towards maximizing the dollars?

If you can work out storage for the long haul, you do have a treasure trove. I've never cleaned out a massive bike collection, but 16 years ago I DID manage the eBay portion of selling off my wife's grandmother's estate. We wound up with a double car garage packed full of stuff, and I would typically select 20 or 30 items per week, wipe them down and photograph them and take notes, do a little research in the sold or completed auctions and sometimes just prowl the internet for some information, then list it. All the eBay rules applied, lots of good clean pix, etc. It was a LONG HAUL done on the side of work, recuperating from surgery, etc., but I wound up raising a considerable amount for the estate that way. I was shocked at some of the things that brought money. The metal toy soldiers in a French Foreign Legion set, complete with camels and Tauregs by either Cherilea or Britain's Ltd. brought $750, which was kinda nice. The two coasters from a long-gone bar in French Indochina wound up going to a gentleman in England for $250, which frankly astounded me.

With quantities of new items like the Kashimax saddles, I would suggest inventorying them, getting a good clean photo of one in each color, looking to see how much they've actually been selling for, and set a buy-it-now price accordingly. If you wanna move them quickly, maybe buy-it-now for 75% of what they consistently sell for.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 09-30-20, 09:19 AM
zukahn1 

Taking a closer look I see what look to be several nicer vintage BMX bikes NOS still in the box these and the NOS BMX parts will likely be worth the most money. Recent Ebay prices for older nicer NOS or very good BMX stuff have been fairly high recently sold a just OK set of pedals for $50 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-02-20, 04:31 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
I am familiar with a lot of those bikes and what they were as new models. I worked in a shop during the 1973- 83 and was a part of the BMX crowd, NBA and ABA and worked in the races for the NBA in Indiana and Indianapolis. This hot mess of hoarding will take some man power to unravel and find the gems in the chaff. A few of the BMX complete bikes will bring a good price. Parts will as well. Sorting and selling will take man hours, and will need someone with knowledge of what they are. If you contact me I am an expensive resource. But I can help and have contacts who can also help you. I do not do auctions and am an independent bicycle person. Smiles, MH
Old 10-14-20, 07:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Man, that's a lot of stuff. But, I don't see anything that's really super rare & expensive. So, no worries. Do a detailed inventory of all the NOS stuff. Figure out what it's worth. Multiply that by 0.5 or -> 0.25 and, sell the whole mess to the first person interested. Take the rest of the stuff to the nearest Goodwill or similar charity.
Old 10-14-20, 08:24 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We've been trying to sort and organize to get a better idea of what's all there. The building is far bigger than originally thought and has a second story you wouldn't even notice from the road. To summarize things.....there's a single engine airplane sitting inside that I'm guessing is a size larger than an ultralight. As we get some kind of organization going I'll update with more pictures
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 10-22-20, 05:42 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just a few more pictures....there's literally stuff everywhere. Couldn't even begin to count the boxes of NOS

Old 10-23-20, 08:42 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Good luck. When I first read this thread I thought about how exciting it would be to be in your position. The more I hear and see... I'm not even sure I would want to get involved. Unless you relish spending months/years going through all of this, I would be separating all the NOS from everything else right away. You're only adding more time and work by having to go in and "second touch" everything. Either sell the NOS in bulk or find a service (or someone in your area) willing to put the NOS stuff up on C/L or the Bay and give them a cut of what they're able to get. The logistics of all of this is what's going to kill you. Unless you find a few diamonds in the rough, I would advertise any of the salvageable/working bikes as $25 each and let them go. As I said, the logistics of this are going to kill you. Unless you're retired and have several years to catalog and grade everything there, and you get some enjoyment doing it... I would be looking at selling cheap and investing in a BIG dumpster.
Old 10-23-20, 09:13 AM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Good luck. When I first read this thread I thought about how exciting it would be to be in your position. The more I hear and see... I'm not even sure I would want to get involved. Unless you relish spending months/years going through all of this, I would be separating all the NOS from everything else right away. You're only adding more time and work by having to go in and "second touch" everything. Either sell the NOS in bulk or find a service (or someone in your area) willing to put the NOS stuff up on C/L or the Bay and give them a cut of what they're able to get. The logistics of all of this is what's going to kill you. Unless you find a few diamonds in the rough, I would advertise any of the salvageable/working bikes as $25 each and let them go. As I said, the logistics of this are going to kill you. Unless you're retired and have several years to catalog and grade everything there, and you get some enjoyment doing it... I would be looking at selling cheap and investing in a BIG dumpster.
That's basically the plan for now, the NOS and complete bikes/frames are relatively easy. My biggest concern was the random used parts. I know certain crank sets or even handle bars can pull nice prices. Since we're contracted to liquidate everything my focus is making our client as much as reasonably possible. I understand everyone will miss something here and there but I can't allow myself to miss revenue for their family due to lack of effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.